JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
it now appears we did not avoid plumbing damage during the freeze
when my son and I started upgrading the insulation with R21, we found a slow leak on the incoming pipe from well
luckily we live close to the well digger down on Hayes Rd, they had a person out here at 0830 this morning
he told me they've been working 12 hr days with all the burst pipes in the area
we now have a dedicated cable from the generator to an oil heater in the well house and the pipe heater cables
first time since we lived here the well house froze

it now appears we did not avoid plumbing damage during the freeze
when my son and I started upgrading the insulation with R21, we found a slow leak on the incoming pipe from well
luckily we live close to the well digger down on Hayes Rd, they had a person out here at 0830 this morning
he told me they've been working 12 hr days with all the burst pipes in the area
we now have a dedicated cable from the generator to an oil heater in the well house and the pipe heater cables
first time since we lived here the well house froze
My biggest fear during outages. The rest is just an in-house camping event. Until the weather warms up - then I'm worried about freezers thawing, but I have a generator for that.

Just curious. How low did your temps get? Ours only dropped to 26 degrees and our pipes are pretty well covered, so I didn't really anticipate we would have problems this go-around. We've lived here 32 years and have only had one incident where a pipe "burst" and flooded the carport. Upon further review, it was really more of a poorly assembled plastic pipe hose clamp than a "burst". Not fun to fix when the carport basically turned into an ice-skating rink. I now have two hose clamps on each end of the plastic pipe, and crank them down with a socket instead of a screwdriver.

My biggest fear during outages. The rest is just an in-house camping event. Until the weather warms up - then I'm worried about freezers thawing, but I have a generator for that.

Just curious. How low did your temps get? Ours only dropped to 26 degrees and our pipes are pretty well covered, so I didn't really anticipate we would have problems this go-around. We've lived here 32 years and have only had one incident where a pipe "burst" and flooded the carport. Upon further review, it was really more of a poorly assembled plastic pipe hose clamp than a "burst". Not fun to fix when the carport basically turned into an ice-skating rink. I now have two hose clamps on each end of the plastic pipe, and crank them down with a socket instead of a screwdriver.
Consider yourself lucky. Temp wise, the lowest I saw here just a couple miles south of PDX was 13.5 degrees. We were only getting up to 22-23 for three days. Maybe more. I think it's not the temp, so much as the duration. And a stiff East wind will remove what heat there is quicker. We had a healthy East wind through all this.

our weather station froze at 21 deg, but our old mercury thermometer showed the lowest as16 deg, the lowest we have ever experienced
our records show we were down to 18 in 2017 - the river valleys each have their own micro climates
have Energizer Lithium batteries in our weather station now
the well technician finished in one hr - had to replace the lead in pipe from the well
we found out years ago, plumbers will only address water issue in the house itself - have to call the well company for anything up to the house

We broke a pipe too. But not from the cold. A rat chewed threw it.
Going to have a talk with the cats about this.

20240117_094746.jpg

our weather station froze at 21 deg, but our old mercury thermometer showed the lowest as16 deg, the lowest we have ever experienced
our records show we were down to 18 in 2017 - the river valleys each have their own micro climates
have Energizer Lithium batteries in our weather station now
the well technician finished in one hr - had to replace the lead in pipe from the well
we found out years ago, plumbers will only address water issue in the house itself - have to call the well company for anything up to the house
We've gotten down to the teens here before, but never when the power was out. We've always gotten by just leaving the water running a little bit during those times.

I few years back, I had a leaky pipe in the well casing. The guy from the well company that came out was awesome. Not only did he take my word for it as far as the troubleshooting I had done (like replacing the pressure switch), he welcomed my help in repairing/replacing the faulty metal piping (and didn't charge me extra :s0108:). Now, I think if I had a leak at the well head, I might be able to fix it myself. I'm pretty much my own plumber for where the water comes into my pressure tank (replaced twice in the last 20 years) to and through the house. I did get a little help from a friend once, because he had the proper tool for the job, and I was too cheap to buy a battery powered Sawzall for one little job. My house was built in 1946, so much of the piping is old, and "it's always something".

I see here in Oregon we have another weather advisory for next week. Rain and wind this time. Oh swell. :confused:

We've gotten down to the teens here before, but never when the power was out. We've always gotten by just leaving the water running a little bit during those times.
:confused:
if you have a well, leaving the water running in a trickle only runs water from the pressure tank to the house
water from the well to the pressure tank only runs when the pump is running -that is were ours froze overnight
we had water until the pressure tank was empty
now we have a pipe heater cable installed
but if we have low temps and loose power, we will have to run the generator longer to keeps the pipes from freezing at night

if you have a well, leaving the water running in a trickle only runs water from the pressure tank to the house
water from the well to the pressure tank only runs when the pump is running -that is were ours froze overnight
we had water until the pressure tank was empty
now we have a pipe heater cable installed
but if we have low temps and loose power, we will have to run the generator longer to keeps the pipes from freezing at night
Yeah, when it drops to the teens, we run it more than a trickle so that the pump kicks on every now and then. We also have the wellhead and piping covered/insulated where it comes out of the ground. There is no typical well house there - like my neighbor next-door has - just a 4x4x3 ft. somewhat decorative box. Knock on wood - it doesn't get below freezing very often where we are. Probably only a handful of times in the 32 years we've been here. Our elevation is less than 800 ft.

This used to be a relatively carefree place to live. Between the forest fires in the summer and the ice/snowstorms in the winter the past five years, we definitely are paying more attention to being prepared. Being in the various fire evacuation levels is getting to be a habit.

Yeah, when it drops to the teens, we run it more than a trickle so that the pump kicks on every now and then. We also have the wellhead and piping covered/insulated where it comes out of the ground. There is no typical well house there - like my neighbor next-door has - just a 4x4x3 ft. somewhat decorative box. Knock on wood - it doesn't get below freezing very often where we are. Probably only a handful of times in the 32 years we've been here. Our elevation is less than 800 ft.
our well is where the witcher found water, then piped to a pressure tank in the garage
when my wife hired a witcher, I was skeptical - and 80 year old man named Waterman out of Cougar?
he had been witching for over 60 years, no one knew what his original name was
I was there when he marked our location and the well digger handed me a bid based on this old man, well digger told me he had never been wrong
he told us 125', they struck water at 123'

Around the nearby towns of Cottage Grove and Eugene there has been thefts of equipment, tools and wire.
Here in Creswell, my neighbors all got together and cleaned up everyone's storm damage. One neighbor brought home a small rubber tracked track hoe and dump trailer and the rest of us cut up the limbs, bucked the brush into piles and generally cleaned up the mess.
These two things are not the same.

Around the nearby towns of Cottage Grove and Eugene there has been thefts of equipment, tools and wire.
Here in Creswell, my neighbors all got together and cleaned up everyone's storm damage. One neighbor brought home a small rubber tracked track hoe and dump trailer and the rest of us cut up the limbs, bucked the brush into piles and generally cleaned up the mess.
I scraped my whole block's sidewalk. My neighbors watched me do it. That's about as much "community" help as I experienced

that is what rural neighbors are for

but some of our new rural neighbors are very seclusive - gates across their roads and No Trespassing signs going up
a new neighbor across the road got his F250 diesel stick when he slid off his road in the ice
3 of his neighbors have tractors that could pull that truck out, but he called AAA instead
the couple of California software engineers who recently purchased the property up the hill called in a tree service to cut his downed trees up, instead of asking his neighbors for help
they didn't even own a generator - when we lost power, he walked down to ask why we still had lights - he seemed confused when my son told him we had our own generator
the new generation of rural property owners are bringing their metropolitan habits with them
luckily even the California software engineers shoot firearms on their place

Do you really think that's a new trend?

View attachment 1808873
we own a beaten biscuit machine on it's table, came across on the Oregon Trail - has the brass plaque from the manufacture in Missouri
back in the day before self rising dough, house wives used to beat the dough for their biscuits with a mallet to put air into them to make biscuits
until these were invented
NW logging camp cooks used the back head of an ax to make biscuits
now I want you to think what would happen when you ask your wife to beat the bread dough with a mallet just to make you biscuits for breakfast

26479_ca_object_representations_media_662_medium.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads