JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It's pretty easy to sink thousands into trick firearms and trinkets that are associated with them when it comes to survival / preparedness. But I've found most people don't have basic communications setups without a cell phone tower and electricity. (Not to mention a backpack already loaded with the gear needed to survive outdoors in the current season)

Communications are on par with; if not MORE useful than being proficient with a gun in the advent of a life disrupting event.
Being able to convey messages over distance is a massive advantage in any scenario. So... Lets talk comms!

What are you guys using for communication in the advent of a scenario where you cant use phones? Do your loved ones have a radio with them or in vehicle that they know how to use? Have you used that gear in the rain, and will it perform?

Do you have handheld radios? Ham, GMRS? Sat phones? Yelling loudly at one another? 2 tin cans with strings attached?

I have found that getting high quality WATERPROOF (oregon winters take no prisoners) communications on your kit is quit expensive. If you guys are looking to buy comm gear I HIGHLY recommend comm gear supply. They have unimaginably good customer service and excellent products.

Wish I would have found them when I first started with comms. I ordered the wrong item over a year ago causing some issues with my peltor headset and transmission. I called them up, explained my issue ( that was my fault by ordering the wrong product) they sent me a shipping label for return and are swapping it out with a bran new product that fits my needs. Thats freakin awesome.

image.jpg

For normal day-to-day operations on the ranch, I have ten 5 watt GMRS handhelds, two 40 watt GMRS mobiles, and another 40 watt GMRS mobile set up as a base station in the office. For SHTF, I have stored an identical setup wrapped in Faraday cloth and stored in a grounded Faraday cage/locker.

I didnt go doomsday or super high speed level with manpacks and encrypted comms and atac and stuff, but better than the 99%.
  • 6-8 Retevis ham radios, no screens, 16 channels, to hand out to neighbors, preprogrammed
  • 8-12 Retevis RT85 for group comms, preprogrammed with ham and gmrs repeaters and channels
  • Anytone base station (mobile), retevis base station, and retevis 10w repeater which we will be setting up in Longview within next couple of months (outdoor antenna and whatnot) for gmrs
  • 7 Ailunce HD1 DMR radios for digital and encryption and sms/text capability
  • Various disco32 ptt gear, antenna relocation and pc/chest rig antennas, as well as short stubbys
  • Printed and laminated comms plan in a manilla folder with "OPEN IN SHTF", that also includes other plans like security so we arent figuring that out in the middle of "omg what is happening"
Part of comms plan was to KISS, while also planning for which channels to use for security, local general chat, trading, stuff like that, even if its just a base for a starting point.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top