JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Farm Jack under the lockbox… lift the lock post and crete base right out of the ground?
Hmm. Unless post is bolted to a burly structure buried under the gate road surface
Don't you just need to attack the connector, not the gate itself?
Maybe easier to use a high lift jack on the hinge part to literally lift the gate out of the anchored post? If there's a sort of clevis pin or shear pin holding the gate to the hinge post, it'll break from a hydraulic jack.

SHTF Scenario: It is the zombie apocalypse. WROL. You are running away (in a vehicle) for your life. Time is an issue. You encounter a forest road gate:

View attachment 1771372

Your vehicle cannot get around it. You absolutely need to get past that gate with your vehicle, its contents and passengers. You do not care about law enforcement/etc.

What relatively portable cutting device do you use?

Portable band saw?

I am disinclined to carry a cutting torch.
I have a huge dodge van…. It weighs 6k pounds…I could smash that gate super easy lol.

Why would anyone get out to saw or shoot it? Ram the hell out of it. If your life was on the line I think a guy in a Geo Metro would even try to ram through 😂

Have you ever used a portaband? They are great for thinner tubing and such, but I wouldn't take one to a 1/2" steel.

Outside of an oxy-acetylene or oxy-propane torch, a sawzall with a carbide blade would be your best bet for getting through
This. Plus simple liquid nitrogen you can by over the counter. And we bought locks and used a torch and saws all both to cut through locks. Took less than ten minutes and three blades. Why waste money to do that, you ask? (Or you don't because who cares.). Anyway, neighbor and I did it because there is only one road up to our homes and it goes through 66 acres of Reprod. A wildfire would trap us. The only other way out is through DNR gates which are almost always locked. So we needed to see if we could get through the locks if we had to. For what it's worth I don't think i could tear the gate down with either my tractor or 4x4 Ram.

https://www.mechdesigninc.com/forest-sentry-gate

1701232016256.png

I never said the van wouldn't get destroyed...it most certainly would but do you realize a 6000 lb van traveling at 70mph has nearly 1 million ft pounds of energy? It would make it through the gate mathematically...just saying.

This. Plus simple liquid nitrogen you can by over the counter. And we bought locks and used a torch and saws all both to cut through locks. Took less than ten minutes and three blades. Why waste money to do that, you ask? (Or you don't because who cares.). Anyway, neighbor and I did it because there is only one road up to our homes and it goes through 66 acres of Reprod. A wildfire would trap us. The only other way out is through DNR gates which are almost always locked. So we needed to see if we could get through the locks if we had to. For what it's worth I don't think i could tear the gate down with either my tractor or 4x4 Ram.
Yeah - I asked about cutting because I doubt my 10K# 4x4 Dodge 3500 with steel flatbed would do much damage to the gates I've encountered - just the opposite; I've dented my flatbed and its sideboards (also made of steel) by unintentionally backing into trees and stumps - I barely scratched the trees. I guarantee that the flatbed steel is thicker than the cab steel - the floor of the bed is probably 3/8" diamond plate.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews