JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In days gone by the owners would give a key to people who actually had a use like bear hunters or people who harvested ferns for the florist shops.

The gates are a progression of blocking thieves so they are built really good.
There is also the issues of trash dumping, human caused forest fires and general vandalism/abuse. A LOT of the roads I used to traverse in the woods as a teen and young adult (hunting, messing around in the woods but not causing harm, off-roading and dirt biking) are now gated and regularly the gates are closed unless the owners/et. al. need access day to day.

As for getting a key, I am going on the premise that besides the issue of convincing the owner/etc. to give me a key (unlikely), I just may not know what roads I may want/need to use and what gates I need to go thru.

Stuff happens and I am working on the presumption of a worst care scenario (e.g., having to rescue my daughter/SIL from the coastal area which they visit regularly for stress decompression) - otherwise I would just stay home in a SHTF scenario.

I'm afraid those days are long gone. Thieves arnt so much a issue as the dumping of garbage and destroying land with off road vehicles. Then there are sue happy people out there that will cause companies all sorts of headaches if they were to get hurt on their ground
Oldest brother was a well known logger that ran a pack of bear dogs. Owners gave him keys because he would help them watch the land. Prepping is about seeing the future and working with those you can. Making friends with a land owner is a good step.

There is also the issues of trash dumping, human caused forest fires and general vandalism/abuse. A LOT of the roads I used to traverse in the woods as a teen and young adult (hunting, messing around in the woods but not causing harm, off-roading and dirt biking) are now gated and regularly the gates are closed unless the owners/et. al. need access day to day.

As for getting a key, I am going on the premise that besides the issue of convincing the owner/etc. to give me a key (unlikely), I just may not know what roads I may want/need to use and what gates I need to go thru.

Stuff happens and I am working on the presumption of a worst care scenario (e.g., having to rescue my daughter/SIL from the coastal area which they visit regularly for stress decompression) - otherwise I would just stay home in a SHTF scenario.
Then it depends on the gate and how much effort the land owner put in building it.

We would see gates destroyed when we were out hunting. Most look like they were pulled over useing a wench and cables. Over the years more concrete was used and most of the time the post just leaned a bit where someone tried to pull it over.

Weak point used to be the lock and thieves would just pop it off with a cable and shackle. So they built the gate to make it impossible to get a shackle on the lock.

I guess it depends on the design and what's filled in there..
gates-7.jpg IMG_0119-e1533587445153.jpg Forestry_Gate_Main_Img1.jpg product+5.jpg
The bottom one.. that stuff is buried. Very hard to just yank it out of ground. But... structure above (yellow gate) doesn't look that burly unlike the others above the pic. I see where there's like 4-6" diameter tubes on the top, that's probably what has cement filling?

Gate would make a great point to ambush those coming onto your property. Destroying that gate is saying shoot me in an apocalypse.
The gates I am thinking of would be on a road that does not lead to anybody's home. I am not talking about somebody's driveway, I am talking about the forest/mountain roads between the Willamette Valley and the coast.

The gates I am thinking of would be on a road that does not lead to anybody's home. I am not talking about somebody's driveway, I am talking about the forest/mountain roads between the Willamette Valley and the coast.
Just a point of view. Who owns the land and who takes care of it? In an apocalypse men will move their families to safety and the woods behind a gate looks safe.

I can see your concern about the highways being plugged solid, there may be no escape for a lot of people.

A wench would be a great help pulling rigs out of the way, especially if you had blocks and tackle to assist.

I don't know really though as I have never lived through an apocalypse but I have been stuck in traffic.

Just a point of view. Who owns the land and who takes care of it? In an apocalypse men will move their families to safety and the woods behind a gate looks safe.

I can see your concern about the highways being plugged solid, there may be no escape for a lot of people.

A wench would be a great help pulling rigs out of the way, especially if you had blocks and tackle to assist.

I don't know really though as I have never lived through an apocalypse but I have been stuck in traffic.
From the gate that's 1 mile from my house I can get anywhere I wanna go! Another reason I bought 10 acres up on a small mountain

A wench is useful in any situation.
Wench.png

A "Hot Saw" (chainsaw motor with carborundum blade) would be #1 weapon
This is what the Fire Dept would use, for example.

"Peanut Grinder" (4"-5" angle grinder) with cut-off disk.
This is what a crook would use.

"Porta-Band" might not have enough "throat" for the job.
A wayward plumber or electrician might try this.

And finally, a somewhat unknown weapon are the new circular saw 7-1/4" steel cutting blades, pioneered by Bosch I believe.
The first time I saw one of these work, I couldn't believe it.
1/4" wall square tube steel - right through it like it was wood.
You would need a good cordless circular saw like a Milwaukie or Makita.
DE5MDlkNmFlOTBlNzZkMTM0YTY3NzI5MWRmODc4OWVhYmY2ZDA.jpg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top