JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I put knives low on the list because there are so many out there. Skills means you have to leave to go trade them so your larder isn't guarded. Skills you need I am all in favor of. Equipment, certainly hand tools but everyone owns screw driver and a open end adjustable wrench.

Fire making tools would trade good during war time. Fire will be the only way to eat or heat.
Everybody has at least one knife - but most people don't have a knife that is suitable for most tasks.

And knives break, especially when misused. At worst, I have spares, and gifts. My "barter" knives are inexpensive "value" knives - e.g., the Gerber folder BG survival knives I paid $15 for, and the Gerber "Ultimate"s I paid $32 for.

As for skills, I won't be traveling beyond my neighborhood and I will be within literal shouting range of home. If you have a broken tractor/car/genset/chainsaw/pump/etc., you will most likely have to bring it to my shop. If your rig is stuck in the mud/snow, and you are more than a thousand yards from my home, you will have to find someone else if the scenario requires I stick close to home (not all do).

Everybody has at least one knife - but most people don't have a knife that is suitable for most tasks.

And knives break, especially when misused. At worst, I have spares, and gifts. My "barter" knives are inexpensive "value" knives - e.g., the Gerber folder BG survival knives I paid $15 for, and the Gerber "Ultimate"s I paid $32 for.

As for skills, I won't be traveling beyond my neighborhood and I will be within literal shouting range of home. If you have a broken tractor/car/genset/chainsaw/pump/etc., you will most likely have to bring it to my shop. If your rig is stuck in the mud/snow, and you are more than a thousand yards from my home, you will have to find someone else if the scenario requires I stick close to home (not all do).
Most folks only have electric can openers, a pile of p38 can openers would trade well. A Vertronix Swiss knife would have good value but cost too much to stock. The old US Army knives would be great but nobody makes them now.

Gerber tools are Chinese made so I guess it's fitting to use the tools to defeat the ccp.

If I was young and just starting out, one of these would be on my war belt.

Last Edited:
Most folks only have electric can openers, a pile of p38 can openers would trade well. A Vertronix Swiss knife would have good value but cost too much to stock. The old US Army knives would be great but nobody makes them now.

Gerber tools are Chinese made so I guess it's fitting to use the tools to defeat the ccp.
Not all of Gerber products are made in China - some are made about 20 miles from where I live; I drive by their factory often.

Years ago someone told me that the Chinese steel in the folder I bought was junk, brittle and would easily break. I took one of them and beat into a piece of firewood and then tried to break it by pounding on it sideways (not really hard, but hard enough). It didn't break, it only loosened the lock a little sideways, but it still locks snuggly. I wear it and use it almost daily.

For $15 I don't expect much, but so far it has shown it is worth more than I paid for it.

If it paid for some poor Chinese peasants daily meal I don't mind.

Not all of Gerber products are made in China - some are made about 20 miles from where I live; I drive by their factory often.

Years ago someone told me that the Chinese steel in the folder I bought was junk, brittle and would easily break. I took one of them and beat into a piece of firewood and then tried to break it by pounding on it sideways (not really hard, but hard enough). It didn't break, it only loosened the lock a little sideways, but it still locks snuggly. I wear it and use it almost daily.

For $15 I don't expect much, but so far it has shown it is worth more than I paid for it.

If it paid for some poor Chinese peasants daily meal I don't mind.
I am not saying CCP steel is bad, most of our knife companies are having China make their knives for them.

Some of the bigger companies have some good stuff from China.

Edited to add, I do try to not finance the CCP war machine by buying their stuff.

Last Edited:
This should be on the top of your list.

1676581839070.png

What about building a Faraday cage out of ammo can(s). Looks pretty easy to do but some take the rubber gasket off, but others leave them on.

What about building a Faraday cage out of ammo can(s). Looks pretty easy to do but some take the rubber gasket off, but others leave them on.

Neither of those is particularly robust with regards to the aluminum foil. Just to easy to get it wrong, and too easy to tear the foil and make a hole.

I already posted how to do it properly.

Yall won't like this but it's just opinion so no need to get angry. America will lose WWIII. More I read and study I believe we have lost already. Enjoy today while you can.

If you want a decent "Faraday" cage for electronics, you can make one from a GI-surplus ammo can of whatever size will hold your electronics:

1) Get a GI surplus ammo can of good condition that will hold the electronics (and any padding/etc.)

2) Remove the rubber seal in the lid and buy some of this to replace it: https://www.knitted-mesh.com/products/knitted-wire-mesh-gaskets.html - get the kind with the rubber core so that it will still seal the lid against liquid intrusion. This is used in a lot of EMI/RFI containers. Stainless would be preferable.

3) Remove the paint where the lid had the gasket inserted and around the top edges of the can where the gasket contacted the can. The purpose is to have electrical contact.

4) Insert the wire gasket where the rubber gasket used to be and make sure the ends of the gasket slightly overlap so that there is continuous coverage - no gaps.

5) Put your electronics (remove the batteries first) in an EMI/RFI protective bag similar to this and seal the open ends: https://www.grainger.com/product/20...sjiuSh0_CZGEMu2MbfRoCG2gQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

6) Put that bag in whatever protective padding you wish, but you can get EMI/RFI bubble wrap and/or foam. The purpose is to prevent damage from rough handling. I would wrap the whole thing in mylar and vacuum seal it. A plastic case like some of the Pelican cases would provide good protection from rough handling and water intrusion.

7) Put the bag/case/container into the prepared ammo can and add whatever labeling you think is appropriate.
Also, if you are going to "line" the inside of the "can", don't use cardboard; cardboard will attract and hold moisture. There is corrugated plastic used for outdoor signage that you can use, that is the same thickness and a lot more durable.

Neither of those is particularly robust with regards to the aluminum foil. Just to easy to get it wrong, and too easy to tear the foil and make a hole.

I already posted how to do it properly.

I'm trying to think what use it would serve. Cell service will be gone, going to play games on your phone? :s0092:

Maybe, I won't live to see it but I'll get a few swipes in with my war hammer.
WWIII is being waged from the inside with 5th generation warfare. By the time Americans figure it out it will be too late.

It's an opinion that guys a lot smarter than I ever could be shared and I can see it's probably true.

Ask today what 5th generation warfare is and most will be just as dumb as me and have no idea.

However now that it's been pointed out I see it everywhere.

I'm trying to think what use it would serve. Cell service will be gone, going to play games on your phone? :s0092:
I use WiFi calling almost exclusively, and I use it with my Starlink - so as long as there is an internet somewhere, and a phone system, I can probably make calls, or at least text/email people. If I am in a small community, and have time to plan ahead, a localized mesh WiFi network does not require the internet and can be used for phone calls (within the network), texting and if you have an email server, email.

Also, most cell phones today have GPS. Then there is the camera functionality and apps (compass, etc.), plus thermal and other add ons.

Phones are essentially pocket computers so they are useful in a number of ways.

But I plan to keep other electronics within a Faraday cage box; small laptop, HTs, etc.

WWIII is being waged from the inside with 5th generation warfare. By the time Americans figure it out it will be too late.

It's an opinion that guys a lot smarter than I ever could be shared and I can see it's probably true.

Ask today what 5th generation warfare is and most will be just as dumb as me and have no idea.

However now that it's been pointed out I see it everywhere.
It may start that way but it will further deteriorate into good old fashion killing.

I use WiFi calling almost exclusively, and I use it with my Starlink - so as long as there is an internet somewhere, and a phone system, I can probably make calls, or at least text/email people. If I am in a small community, and have time to plan ahead, a localized mesh WiFi network does not require the internet and can be used for phone calls (within the network), texting and if you have an email server, email.

Also, most cell phones today have GPS. Then there is the camera functionality and apps (compass, etc.), plus thermal and other add ons.

Phones are essentially pocket computers so they are useful in a number of ways.

But I plan to keep other electronics within a Faraday cage box; small laptop, HTs, etc.
I guess I'm just not seeing infrastructure like power and cell service being around long.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top