JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There are things called solar panels. They use magic to make electricity out of sunlight.
Sure, go ahead, get a cheap bike, add weight to it to simulate the weight of an electric bike, then add weight to simulate a solar charging setup, and add weight to simulate whatever luggage you will be carrying with your supplies like food/water/clothes/shelter.

Ride that setup around the block. Report back on how far you got before you gave up.

No plan survives contact with the enemy. Enemy here is weight.

Sure, go ahead, get a cheap bike, add weight to it to simulate the weight of an electric bike, then add weight to simulate a solar charging setup, and add weight to simulate whatever luggage you will be carrying with your supplies like food/water/clothes/shelter.

Ride that setup around the block. Report back on how far you got before you gave up.

You don't need to add solar panels to the bike itself, anymore than you need to add a gas station to a car.

It's just me and my worthless opinions but whatever you think you might need , now is a good time to get it if you believe a war is about to start.

Once hostilities begin your cash and credit cards won't buy anything.

I think a really good mountain bike and spare parts would be good to buy. Extra chain in particular as they break real easy now days. Add some back baskets to carry your gear.
I had a rack that I could carry two panniers. I had a mountain bike that would ride to work on. I put some smoother tires in since I did not need the knobby tires for work.

I had a pair of Ortlieb Waterproof panniers. I carried my work clothes in one back, and spare tubes and tools, hand wipes in the other bag.

https://a.co/d/cwxmRxj

Then I bought a 2008 Trek SOHO bike.

https://archive.trekbikes.com/us/en/2008/trek/soho30#/us/en/2008/trek/soho30/details

Last Edited:

And bulk
My 100 watt panel, folded is 2'x2'x3" Where are you stashing that on your bike along with your food, water, shelter, gun(s) & ammo?
Forget the bike

Last Edited:
Chain, tubes, tires, spokes, cables/levers for brakes & gear shifting (newer bikes are using hydraulics for brakes now - not sure what to get for those). These things are known to break.

Maybe spare wheels (maybe used ones) - if you get in an accident or overly rambunctious, you may have to replace a wheel.

Maybe wheel bearings, bottom bracket bearings, steering tube bearings, sprockets and pedals/crank arms. None of those have ever worn out on me, but I suppose they can.
The Estate Sale at @The Heretic's house is going to be Awe-Inspiring. :)

We are dealing with 4th generation warefare. It may not even be nukes or EMP that they use. It may be AI and technology.
There are smarter people than me raising concerns about AI, and the eventual reliance and enslavement to technology. Look at where we are already. People can't go 5 minutes without their smart phone. Network outages hit the mid valley this week for several hours and people lost their ever-loving minds. The more lazy and atrophied we get by giving over more of our humanity to tech, the less resilient we are. How many people remember even ten of the numbers in their phone book? When was the last time you did long division by hand? Why does society have an obesity problem? What happens to learning when a chatbot can research and write all your term papers for you? What happens to creativity when an AI art program can create the images? What happens when you can't believe what you see because deepfakes have become so realistic? What happens to a jury of your peers and reasonable doubt when you have to defend yourself in court against an AI that has a lifetime photographic memory of everything you ever said or did? Or worse can manipulate anything you said or did by making a digital copy of you?

Ammo, knives, skills, equipment (I use it to their benefit), firewood.
I put knives low on the list because there are so many out there. Skills means you have to leave to go trade them so your larder isn't guarded. Skills you need I am all in favor of. Equipment, certainly hand tools but everyone owns screw driver and a open end adjustable wrench.

Fire making tools would trade good during war time. Fire will be the only way to eat or heat.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top