JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK, I'm getting ready to load some more 5.56 rounds for my AR.

Question. The military uses 55gr FMJ due to the Geneva convention. But, if you were defending your home or bugging out, would you rather have:

1. FMJ

2. PSP

3. JHP

I'm not asking about bullet weight or whether this is the "best" caliber, just type of bullet for self defense. A FMJ will penetrate heavy clothing, helmets, etc. better, but the others "might" have more stopping power?

Which would it be?

I put the JHP aside for a defense round. reason I want to tear-up what I hit.

JHP.

I assume Im defending against bandits. Also useful for hunting.

but I have a good supply of FMJs. Any bullet is good enough.

OK, why JHP instead of PSP which is what most people hunt with in a rifle? FWIW, I've learned that PSP and JHP both feed fine and are accurate in my AR-15.

??

I use Wolf 55gr JHP loads cause they are cheap and I think they would be pretty effective out of my 20 inch barrel AR. I think a lot of police depts use the TAP round and it has a pretty good track record. If you got a M4 carbine with 1 in 7 twist I would be worried about overpenetration and knockdown power as that seems to be the combo that is producing the horror stories.

Use fmj like the military for the same reason--- fmj will wound rather than kill (that movie crap were the wounded guy is back up shooting in three minutes is bull) when you wound you tie up more people and resources than if you kill, people will be trying to rescue and save the wounded, they are busy doing something other than attacking you. However i want a 30 caliber bullet the 223 is a fine varmit round but only the military thinks it is a good round for military use. We won two world wars shooting a 30-06 and a 45 cal pistol Just how many wars have we actually won since downsizing our ammo.

OK, why JHP instead of PSP which is what most people hunt with in a rifle? FWIW, I've learned that PSP and JHP both feed fine and are accurate in my AR-15.

??

If it's a true full blown SHTF scenario and I have to defend I just want the most rip an shread round, I'am looking for damage myself.

JHP for handguns; FMJ for rifles; 00 Buckshot for shotguns (since that's what I have).

I agree with this person 100 percent. I would make the same choices. Hollow points make a handgun a little more dependable. For a rifle, FMJ will do sufficient damage - I believe that most people who are shot with anything are going to want a doctor as quickly as possible. I don't think you can beat double ought buck for a shotgun. Way to go, sun195!

FMJ for rifles, JHP for handguns.

FWIW: The Geneva Conventions had nothing to do with bullet types. These conventions regulate how victims of war are to be treated: POWs, civilians, refugees, etc.

The Hague Convention of 1899 included:
The Contracting Parties agree to abstain from the use of bullets which expand or flatten easily in the human body, such as bullets with a hard envelope which does not entirely cover the core, or is pierced with incisions.

The present Declaration is only binding for the Contracting Powers in the case of a war between two or more of them.

It shall cease to be binding from the time when, in a war between the Contracting Parties, one of the belligerents is joined by a non-Contracting Power.
http://avalon.law.yale.edu/19th_century/dec99-03.asp

:)

JHP for handguns; FMJ for rifles; 00 Buckshot for shotguns (since that's what I have).

:s0155: That is what I would do...

That said, I have 1k rounds of .40 in FMJ and only 80 rounds of it in JHP.... so hopefully I don't need more than 80 rounds....

Once I finish my Predator drone and get it outfitted with some Hellfire missiles I will feel much better about the security of the property. ;);)

JHP in my pistol, FMJ in my AR and a few buckshot fallowed by a few slugs in the shotgun. Buckshot for the close up guys and the slug for the sisy running off after his friend gets blasted.

FMJ for rifles, JHP for handguns.

FWIW: The Geneva Conventions had nothing to do with bullet types. These conventions regulate how victims of war are to be treated: POWs, civilians, refugees, etc.

The Hague Convention of 1899 included:

http://avalon.law.yale.edu/19th_century/dec99-03.asp

:)

Good catch. My bad. The military still uses fmj and I wonder if it's the most lethal. ??

.223 jacketed soft points Cheap, expand, and ya might need to eat what you shoot. All handguns, Gold Dots for Short Barrels, Self Protection. Although if I could afford it,
TAP on the 223. and possible in handguns the new Hornady poly tipped self defense round. First choices are my reloads!

OK guys, I appreciate all of the replies and I think everyone has good points here.

However, I started this thread saying I was preparing to reload some rounds for my 5.56 AR-15 and I still want opinions and reasons as to which of the three options you believe are best for self defense.

I talked to a guy who just did a tour in Afghanistan. He'd want FMJ for the chance of penetrating a helmet or heavy clothing especially at longer range.

Another guy, a marine vet said no, hollow points because they do more damage to tissue.

He also was afraid that PSP wouldn't feed well - might damage the point on feeding but I haven't found that to be the case at all nor have others I've talked to who use them.

Please, what is your experience with these bullet types in an AR-15? Have you hunted with an AR-15 maybe? It's legal for deer in Oregon if you use a 5 round mag.

Anyone ??

Unless your AR is accurate enough to make a peach shot, that area above the the nose, that a round will get to the medula, it won't matter which you use! The hollow point at short high velocity distances, may not hold together to penetrate to major organs. I agree that the more tissue that gets destroyed the quicker the fight ends. Any multiple hits in a major vital area will end in death. Even outside of that zone will result in death if not medically treated. My concern isn't with the tissue damage, but getting deep enough internally for that damage. A soft point expanding bullet I believe will allow that time release needed for a little deeper. The FMJ has some varibles to where it may tumble making a terrible mess to where it just goes through and through with not much tissue damage. Or hits a major bone
deflecting a different pathway. None of them would I consider a reliable armor penetrator unless an AP round such as the 30-06 AP.
Therefore, my pick would be the middle choice of the expanding soft point, that would hold together better that the hollow point, and still on the average give better tissue damage over the FMJ. The FMJ is the better penetrator, but there are two many factors on what action that bullet will take.
Remember in it's original state, it falls between a .222 Rem and a .22Rem. Mag. Both are varmit cartridges, and many states still declare the .223 not adequate for deer in most cases. Now it's deemed an adequate man hunting cartridge? Okay. It's not an accurate look at this question you ask, as heavier bullets that are hollow pointed may be the ticket, but my feeling always has been of why, abandon a working caliber to be able to carry more ammo?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top