JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I use a simple fanny pack. inside the main pouch, I have a lanyard attached. Most times That is tied to a kydex pocket holster. If the gun gets dunked, no big deal. I just tear it down when I get home. fanny.jpg

I'll second going with the Glock/chest rig combo and will add that you should put some maritime spring cups in the gun. They are designed to allow the gun to be fired wet by allowing the firing pin to move properly. Without them in a wet gun you can get light primer strikes.

I love kayaking. Been kayaking and canoeing all my life all across this beautiful country. I've yet to carry a gun while out on a trip though. I'm curious to hear how any of you might go about doing it. I was thinking about having a lanyard ring installed on a revolver which would then be attached to myself or the boat. Or maybe a plastic semi auto with a kydex holster would be best?

What are you setups? Thanks for the tips!

***apologies in advance if there are old threads already about this topic on here***
Curious what type of Kayak you have and if it has storage areas? We have Delta Kayaks and they have a ton of storage fore and aft, and a small storage area right in front of the cockpit which allows us to fit a camera and handgun inside. We also have clear waterproof storage bags with lanyards, so there is that option as well. If Andy & Bax is still in PDX and not burned down, they have good accessories to choose from.

Curious what type of Kayak you have and if it has storage areas? We have Delta Kayaks and they have a ton of storage fore and aft, and a small storage area right in front of the cockpit which allows us to fit a camera and handgun inside. We also have clear waterproof storage bags with lanyards, so there is that option as well. If Andy & Bax is still in PDX and not burned down, they have good accessories to choose from.
I've got 2 different kayaks. One is more of a touring/distance kayak and one is smaller and just more of a day kayak. They've both got good storage. I have given it a lot of thought to keep a gun secured in the storage in a dry bag, and would probably start out that way. But then I was thinking that if I were to get dumped and the kayak got washed far away from me, I wouldn't want the gun to be in it when someone found it.

In my years on the Pacific ocean, yes, SS can rust, but not overnight, and the passivation of most SS guns slows down any rust. If you wipe/rinse the salt water off daily then clean well when you get home, you should be ok. SS is certainly a whole LOT better than most non-SS, especially blued guns. This is why I mostly buy SS guns.

A lanyard is a good idea especially if you are carrying a handgun in a holster on the water, and you can get "waterproof" floating cases for both handguns and rifles - I have some. You should have a lanyard on any case/drybag/etc. that has valuable items inside.
[h2][/h2]

Thanks for the reply guys. I much prefer fresh water kayaking to salt water. And yes I know the rules about not being in the middle of the river. I prefer to paddle by the edges anyway; it's more fun and prettier. I'm wanting to go on a multi day trip where I'd be stopping to camp along the river as I go. With all the homeless living along the river now, it would be nice to have something as a deterrent to them messing with me in the middle of the night. It sounds like most everyone here is pretty against having a weapon on the water, which I was honestly surprised to read. Maybe I'll just stick with the knife that I usually take with and call it good.
I think some pepper spray will take care of any homeless that decide to visit your camp.
Get the stream type and maybe even Bear spray, it sprays a Loong stream but can be quite pricey.
jmo

I love kayaking. Been kayaking and canoeing all my life all across this beautiful country. I've yet to carry a gun while out on a trip though. I'm curious to hear how any of you might go about doing it. I was thinking about having a lanyard ring installed on a revolver which would then be attached to myself or the boat. Or maybe a plastic semi auto with a kydex holster would be best?

***apologies in advance if there are old threads already about this topic on here***
Lots of solutions if you do an Image Search on "waterproof camera bag for kayaking"

I put my 642 in a zip loc bag. I then put it in my pocket. If I need it quickly I could fire it through the bag. But after a couple minor dunking's the gun has stayed dry. I also keep my wallet in a zip loc. DR

I think some pepper spray will take care of any homeless that decide to visit your camp.
Get the stream type and maybe even Bear spray, it sprays a Loong stream but can be quite pricey.
jmo
If pepper spray is adequate for SD against humans on/near water its presumably adequate the rest of the time against people too. However I don't believe that. Spray doesn't always work when fired at more than trivial distances or against a strong headwind, though the stream type might help. And there is nothing that promises that a homeless person isnt going to have a gun and be beyond your spray's range. And every single aggressive stray male dog that came after my b!tch when she was in heat--about half a dozen over the years--were unimpressed by the spray and just snorted or sneezed--even with a full spray from two or three feet right in their faces. And possible attacks from a dog are one reason for carrying a gun. I think rivers or lakes can attract homeless people , so think you are much more likely to run into dangerous homeless people near a river or lake than dangerous people in a woods not near water. If its more a wilderness type area you might have bears and cougars. You may need to kill a stubborn porcupine that is gnawing on your kayak if its wood, or canoe paddles or oars. Especially the handles, to get the salt from your hands. Or who is eating your boots. Then there's rabid animals, poisonous snakes, and if in Florida, alligators.

@Andy54Hawken is pouting because flintlock. Lol, not really.

Seems to me a simple spear, not even a speargun, would be more practical for either killing or hunting lionfish than this Glock rig. The lionfish seem to let you swim right up within
Spear reach. Probably because with all their poisonous spines there's nothing in Florida waters that can eat them.

Thanks for the reply guys. I much prefer fresh water kayaking to salt water. And yes I know the rules about not being in the middle of the river. I prefer to paddle by the edges anyway; it's more fun and prettier. I'm wanting to go on a multi day trip where I'd be stopping to camp along the river as I go. With all the homeless living along the river now, it would be nice to have something as a deterrent to them messing with me in the middle of the night. It sounds like most everyone here is pretty against having a weapon on the water, which I was honestly surprised to read. Maybe I'll just stick with the knife that I usually take with and call it good.
Live your life how you want, personally I don't give a damn what the opinion of others are for what/why/or how I do what I do. I don't consider a gun an addition, it is merely a tool on my hip the same as my phone or my wallet are useful for other purposes.

When I am doing any outdoor recreational activity where the regular kydex belt holster gets in the way. The HPG recon kit bag is on my chest with the Glock inside. It serves well for holding some other things too that I don't need in my pockets. When I jog, which is rare because jogging sucks, I wear it also.

If I were kayaking for multiple days not immediately near my support network I'd most definitely be carrying, I already do regularly, but most definitely even more so in that instance. That small insurance could save you some terrible grief and if you never need it to use it, all the better, but having it gives you options you won't have if you don't. I wouldn't make a big deal about being on the water. It's a glock, it's not that expensive and you can always scrub it down with some wd-40 beforehand.

In terms of dealing with homeless (drug addict zombies). Extreme aggression / violence seems to be a language they understand very fluently if necessary.

When I was about six my family lived in Florida. My parents carried handguns when boating on the ocean or on rivers, lakes, and swamps. They just carried the guns holstered, as usual. Holsters with firm retention. Open carried. They wiped down guns after outings with gun oil. This was an 18' outboard motor boat that was unlikely to and never did tip over. They wore the guns, not attached them to the boat. Good thing, too, as one day when dad was off fishing, and my mother, myself, and little brother were beach combing on a remote island, a couple of would-be rapists came after my mother. She could hear every word they said as they shouted to each other over the noise of their engine while their boat circled the island. Voices carry well over water.

"She's all by herself. Nobody else except two little kids."
"There must be a husband somewhere. Probably off in a boat fishing."
"He's nowhere in sight."
"Let's take her!"
And the boat's nose swung around and pointed straight at my mother. She turned her right side toward the bad guys, undid the flap on the military holster that carried her Colt Woodsman Target .22, and put her hand on the grip.

"Good God! She's got a gun!" The nose of the boat swung back out to sea and the boat sped away.

Its possible the bad guys "only" meant to rape my mother. However, she and her two little kids, one of them me, would have seen and been able to describe both the bad guys and their boat. And there were really only a few spots that their boat could have launched from. Had my mother been unarmed there is no question that she would have been at least raped. But would the bad guys, after they thought about it, have dared leave any of us alive? I doubt it.

I am totally against the idea of going out on the water unarmed.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews