JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I love kayaking. Been kayaking and canoeing all my life all across this beautiful country. I've yet to carry a gun while out on a trip though. I'm curious to hear how any of you might go about doing it. I was thinking about having a lanyard ring installed on a revolver which would then be attached to myself or the boat. Or maybe a plastic semi auto with a kydex holster would be best?

What are you setups? Thanks for the tips!

***apologies in advance if there are old threads already about this topic on here***

Just make sure you seal the bullets along the primer edge and bullet/brass line with a sealer made for that purpose. FWIW, if wouldn't want river or ocean water under my revolver plate. I would prefer a Glock for this duty. I've had a SS semiauto rust carrying it on the ocean. I would go with a chest rig.

1647578811242.png

I love kayaking. Been kayaking and canoeing all my life all across this beautiful country. I've yet to carry a gun while out on a trip though. I'm curious to hear how any of you might go about doing it. I was thinking about having a lanyard ring installed on a revolver which would then be attached to myself or the boat. Or maybe a plastic semi auto with a kydex holster would be best?

What are you setups? Thanks for the tips!

***apologies in advance if there are old threads already about this topic on here***
A lanyard for water exposure is a must, take a look at the hillpeoplegear kit bags, they have a small webbing loop inside the holster compartment to secure a lanyard to, you could stow the lanyard cord inside the bag for a complete on body carry thats snag free plus concealed when other kayakers paddle by....

Carry a gun while Kayaking? Why? Most of you guys can't seem to stay out of main channel to let real boats get by. Lakes are an exception of course but you river runners need to read the regulation again. I can't imagine caring a gun while kayaking, bad enough when you're drinking. That being said, stick to a squirt gun. Good luck with your situation.

I would prefer a Glock for this duty. I've had a SS semiauto rust carrying it on the ocean. I would go with a chest rig.
Agree on both counts. Go with a Kydex chest rig with no leather on it, an preferably a retention strap on the gun.

Hill people gear kit bag (pick your model) Glock, done. You could lanyard the Glock to the inside of the Kit bag if you are that worried about dropping it in the drink.

Search around, but this is the best option.

Thanks for the reply guys. I much prefer fresh water kayaking to salt water. And yes I know the rules about not being in the middle of the river. I prefer to paddle by the edges anyway; it's more fun and prettier. I'm wanting to go on a multi day trip where I'd be stopping to camp along the river as I go. With all the homeless living along the river now, it would be nice to have something as a deterrent to them messing with me in the middle of the night. It sounds like most everyone here is pretty against having a weapon on the water, which I was honestly surprised to read. Maybe I'll just stick with the knife that I usually take with and call it good.

Wanted to add that I've never felt I've needed a gun in any of my previous trips. I grew up in the Midwest kayaking/canoeing the Mississippi River, the Boundary Waters and Crow Wing in Minnesota, the Current River in Missouri, the Peshtigo and others around that area. Since I moved to Oregon in 2008, I've kayaked the Willamette, Columbia, Multnomah, Wilson, and Nehalem along with the Scappoose Bay and other creeks around here. But with the huge rise in meth outed crazies along the river, it just doesn't feel safe spending the nights on the shore anymore.

I put a 642 in the chest pocket of my PFD.
Have you ever ended up in the water with it? Did it dry out if you did? I've got a 442 and thought about taking it. I certainly try to stay upright while kayaking, but things are bound to happen on the water and splash and spray can get you pretty damp after a few hours.

Have you ever ended up in the water with it? Did it dry out if you did? I've got a 442 and thought about taking it. I certainly try to stay upright while kayaking, but things are bound to happen on the water and splash and spray can get you pretty damp after a few hours.
I did with my G48 in a AIWB kydex holster while in saltwater and I was unable to get to fresh water for hours.

I was amazed at how fast things started rusting. I did get cleaned up with no problems.

But have since kept the SS 642 in the PFD . But haven't dunked it yet.

Well, here's the pros and con in my opinion:

Revolvers are great but even stainless will rust as stainless is rust resistant, not rust proof. The more polished the surface the more resistant it seems to be, the rougher the surface or more surface area exposed the faster it will rust and the harder it is to remove like on the bead blasted top straps.

You drop a revolver in salt water and unless you have the tools to pull the side plate and clean all the parts in the field you will have a nightmare in a short amount of time.

A Glock or many other plastic guns are easier to field strip and clean with fewer small parts to lose and can be taken completely down with one small punch.

I was stationed at Whidbey Island and my room mate and I taken his 18 foot Bayliner on the water every chance we got and we carried an Remington 870. Just the spray coming off the water would start it to surface rust is short order. We started to spray the outside of the gun with water proofing or WD40 to help and it did or at least we felt it did.

My vote is find a cheap used Glock maybe try some of the new silicone spray water proofing on it and it if it still works at the range, it should work on the water.

Good luck.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR