JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
"State Defendants object to the Court's finding that the "a magazine is a necessary component of a firearm.""

Are there any mag fed firearms that couldn't be easily modified to fire a single handloaded round without a magazine in the firearm?

Thinking about all the mag fed firearms I own, it seems like every one could be made to fire a round without the magazine installed. In some cases a mag safety disconnect would have to be removed or bypassed. You would obviously have to hand feed rounds one at a time but I could see where some might accept the State's suggestion that the magazine isn't a necessary component to fire a round.

Last Edited:
The firearms will not be semiautomatic, nor be a repeater/repeating if not for a magazine.

So, yes magazines in one form or other are integral to the operation of repeating firearms including the much-maligned by media semiautomatic ""assault"" rifles.

I assume that they don't feel it's necessary to have an on board supply of ammo for a firearm to operate. The simple legal definition of a firearm doesn't require it to be self-loading.
No, but it's setting up for a simple justification for States to ban all semiautomatic weapons and restrict repeating weapons by saying they aren't the only firearms available and that they weren't in "common use" at the time of 2A ratification, and thus "doesn't violate 2A" :rolleyes:

The firearms will not be semiautomatic, nor be a repeater/repeating if not for a magazine.

So, yes magazines in one form or other are integral to the operation of repeating firearms including the much-maligned by media semiautomatic ""assault"" rifles.
I believe the argument was whether a magazine was necessary component of a firearm, not a repeating firearm. Oregon's legal definition of a firearm is:

DEFINITIONS: Firearm: A weapon, by whatever name known, which is designed to expel a projectile. by the action of powder

Is a magazine necessary for a weapon to meet that definition?

No, but it's setting up for a simple justification for States to ban all semiautomatic weapons and restrict repeating weapons by saying they aren't the only firearms available and that they weren't in "common use" at the time of 2A ratification, and thus "doesn't violate 2A" :rolleyes:
I think that is what Oregon is trying to do.

It should also be acknowledged that when hand loading a semi auto, you need to try and slip the case into the extractor, otherwise you are going to break it after dropping it on the case enough times. Possibly even the first time as most mass produced semi autos these days use a MIM extractor, as far as I know.

Otherwise you're also stuck trying to pull that case out by hand after every shot in a gun that is not designed to make that easy to do.

It should also be acknowledged that when hand loading a semi auto, you need to try and slip the case into the extractor, otherwise you are going to break it after dropping it on the case enough times. Possibly even the first time as most mass produced semi autos these days use a MIM extractor, as far as I know.

Otherwise you're also stuck trying to pull that case out by hand after every shot in a gun that is not designed to make that easy to do.
But.. do they (anti 2A pols) care?

I have loaded many cartridges this way and believe the extractor damage problem is overhyped. The extractor has to slip over the case regardless of whether the cartridge is in the mag or in the chamber.

I have loaded many cartridges this way and believe the extractor damage problem is overhyped. The extractor has to slip over the case regardless of whether the cartridge is in the mag or in the chamber.
Depends on the firearm.
The case slips up from under the extractor in some designs like the 1911, and can damage the 1911 extractor if repeatedly forced to spring over

Here is the Plaintiffs (see Aiello statement in bold) response to the State's objection about magazines being a necessary component of a firearm.

• That a firearm magazine is a "necessary component of a firearm."
The court's findings are contrary to testimony at trial, in which "every historical expert" testified about the existence of firearms without magazines, such as muzzle-loading muskets, Wilson wrote.

Aiello said testimony didn't show any modern-day firearm operates without a fixed or detached magazine.

Maybe the testimony was incomplete because I could list many firearms still manufactured today that don't use magazines. Here is a wrist breaker I wouldn't mind owning.

Here are some rifles that don't use magazines.

Here are some more buried in this list.

Some handgun varieties are buried here.

Last Edited:
The vast majority of modern guns use a magazine, to suggest they are not necessary part of a gun is a lie. Even lever guns from the 1800s had magazines.

I double checked the schematic and nope, no magazine needed for this ugly duckling.

1704220492234.png

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top