JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This would take care of six serialized items for the cost of a padlock or use the cable lock that came with pistol and it's free.

View attachment 1768095
if this method is "ok" then literally a duffle bag with two zippers zip tied together would practically be the same level of security.

A duffle bag can hold a lot more guns, and a zip tie is less than 10 cents.

If you have as many guns as it seems you have, you probably don't shoot many of them very often and so replacing a zip tie once in a wall would be not an issue.

Who exactly are you trying to keep honest? Because an honest person doesn't need locks, and a dishonest person is just going to steal that whole plastic case and take all those guns. Or a whole duffle bag and all those guns.

if this method is "ok" then literally a duffle bag with two zippers zip tied together would practically be the same level of security.

A duffle bag can hold a lot more guns, and a zip tie is less than 10 cents.

If you have as many guns as it seems you have, you probably don't shoot many of them very often and so replacing a zip tie once in a wall would be not an issue.

Who exactly are you trying to keep honest? Because an honest person doesn't need locks, and a dishonest person is just going to steal that whole plastic case and take all those guns. Or a whole duffle bag and all those guns.
If a duffel bag and zip tie meets the SB554 requirement then that could be an option.

SB 554 requires gun owners to secure their guns by storing them in a locked container or gun room or by using a trigger or cable lock when it is not being carried or under their control.

As long as you own the dirt , it's a massive come-up.
Some individuals priories make absolutely zero sense to me.

It's kinda like the individual who rents and has 2 new BMWs parked out front. Surprise….. they don't own those either.

Before buying anything else it would probably be best to inventory and assess your collection. Figure out whether there are pieces that you don't really use or don't get a lot of joy out of. If there are projects you have lying around that you haven't gotten to in a few years, ask yourself if you actually ever going to finish them. Take stock of accessories and related gear in the same manner. Odds are you will find some things that can be disposed of, and that will help you get back down to a manageable inventory.

You could consider getting rid of guns that probably won't be subject to a ban and will be easily replaceable should you want to buy them again. For example, break action and pump shotguns by common manufacturers are easy to come by and typically not expensive.

I did a DIY gun cabinet mod that expanded my available storage space by a solid margin. This would be a decent option for securing cheaper guns or project pieces.

Is your collecting driven by a specific goal or objective? If you haven't already, it would be worth thinking about what you want the end state of your collection to be, why you are collecting, and whether your collection reflects the inventory you ultimately want to get to. That may help you focus the direction of your collecting and reduce future purchases to just those that reflect your end goals.

Just some food for thought, hope it helps!

If a duffel bag and zip tie meets the SB554 requirement then that could be an option.

SB 554 requires gun owners to secure their guns by storing them in a locked container or gun room or by using a trigger or cable lock when it is not being carried or under their control.
Ohhhhhhh… ok, totally different scenario when we are referring to intrusive laws telling us what to do in our own homes with our own property.

IDGAF.

This is Oregon?
I remember having to go through something like this during the child adoption process. That's how I ended up with a few pelican Vaults. Then switched to Harbor freight Apache

1/4" drywall over interior wall? Inside furniture? I like the cable lock idea someone mentioned if you want to lock them.

Ditching the hypotheticals.... I've never once seen you post anything about a gun of quality.

Stop chasing mediocrity just for the thrill of the purchase. You will be better off to own 3 great firearms than 150 clunkers. Rather than trying to find new and innovative ways to hide your junk, you should consolidate into a smaller collection of guns actually worth owning.

Last Edited:
Hypothetically let's say a person acquired so many firearms that he couldn't fit them all in the safe. What are some cheap lockable solutions and location ideas he could utilize to keep honest people honest and minimize corrosion on firearms. Hypothetically this person might live in small space with little room to spare.
Oh another fun idea…. Switch to instant hot water and convert old water heater tank to a secret safe.

For real though I thought of a truck bed tool box.

A cabinet style bed frame…. Or box spring?

Think really if you consider your labor just a cost in life…. Don't equate it to your union plumber labor rate (as some do…"my time is expensive") …. If you're handy or artistic….. I know you're a good shopper (construction materials OfferUp?) build a false wall?

Oh another fun idea…. Switch to instant hot water and convert old water heater tank to a secret safe.

For real though I thought of a truck bed tool box.

A cabinet style bed frame…. Or box spring?

Think really if you consider your labor just a cost in life…. Don't equate it to your union plumber labor rate (as some do…"my time is expensive") …. If you're handy or artistic….. I know you're a good shopper (construction materials OfferUp?) build a false wall?
No structural mods in the apartment world.
That security deposit isn't a rental car
walk-away insurance policy

Totes. Lots of totes.

Edit. Just buy 20+ 27 gallon totes, the kind with the yellow or red tops, and a few 55 gallon totes. Pack everything up. Have a hand truck or five, a materials handling cart, and be ready to move to a house.

Take your firearms and field strip 'em.....
It's easier to store smaller things than larger things right...? :D
Kidding...don't do this....
Andy
Actually, that's not a bad thing especially if you can use something like fishing tackle boxes or small parts organizers... edit; this would be for those that aren't standing in for security/emergency/carry usage ;)

On a more serious note... I find I am needing either a simple cabinet, or some other means to lock 4 ARs up from my children... my late father's 25 year old Homak Security 2-key safe, I think is currently full of shotguns and .22lr and .45 carbines... and the pistol safe has ammo and handguns in it. I can either just spring for a larger but not as secure cabinet and store in my apartment, or find a cheap locker type cabinet just for the ARs and wait until my mother passes and house goes to me and my brother, then will figure from that..

I am also looking at getting an 18" tall platform bed just so I can put the 27 gallon totes under it to free up closet space for a locker or cabinet similar to the Homak one.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top