JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I can seem to recall, long ago, reading an article about "ricocheting bullets".

As I recall, the only thing that the article could definitively point out was that with a ricochet.....it was difficult to predict where the bullet would go/end up. That being said, I seem to recall something about a few inches to about 18" being dangerous off of the pavement (or say rocks) and of course IMHO the result would vary with the various angles involved, bullet construction, bullet designs, weight, velocity, target distance, target makeup/construction etc.....etc..... In other words......there is nothing to count on.

That being said, there is plenty of film history from WW2 of/with some tracer bullets ricocheting off of objects.

Yes, I believe that there is a certain amount of water penetration, especially for things swimming near the surface. But, ricochets can and will also occur in that instance.

That all being said.....
I doubt that even the Govt wants to spend the money to fully explore the possibilities. Being "lucky" might just be Good Enough.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Again, thank you for the replies. As of right now, I'm leaning towards getting one of those Hill People kit bags. It seems like one would be useful for a variety of uses and settings. I liked the idea of putting the gun in a pocket holster and keeping it in a pocket of my PFD, but then thought better of it. I like to take the PFD off now and then especially if it's a warm sunny day. Always nice to work on that tan ya know. I've also used it as a cushion when sitting on the side of the river taking a break. With the kit bag/Fanny pack, I could take the PFD off will trekking around the shoreline and still have everything important within reach on my hip. Looks like it could even work as a small tackle box when doing some shoreline fishing.

As for a gun, I've got a cheap Taurus G2C that sounds like it will fit the bill at the present moment. I would replace it with a Glock someday if the right one came across my path for cheap. I don't think I will take my S&W 442, which I prefer for carry, just because it seems like it wouldn't fair as well if it were to get dunked. Plus, the more than twice the amount of rounds in the magazine of the Taurus would be a benefit over the revolver, especially since I don't think I'd be carrying the speed strips in my pocket/kit bag while on the boat. Extra ammo would most likely be in a dry box in the storage compartment.

Alright, one more part of the planning process mostly decided. Now time to continue on with the other prep for the trip. Thanks gents.
I think you will be just fine with your gun in a pocket or pouch. I do use a Hill People runners bag and I do put my valuables in zip loc bags. Good Luck on your trip. DR

Plenty of homeless down along the wilamette, even on the little islands. If you're going to camp on one, which I would recommend, find a good landing and scout the island before you set up camp. Keep a stoked fire, or run a battery powered light all night to dissuade visitors.
Someone recommended bear spray, and that may be all the protection you'll need, but these days i just don't know. Ferals seem to be getting pretty bold.
I've been contemplating a hill people gear chest rig with a glock 20 for my water sport carry, but my worry is how uncomfortable it might be after a day of paddling. I'd be interested to hear what you decide on, and how it works out.

A small update:
Went kayaking this weekend on the multnomah/columbia and decided to take my S&W 65-2 in a belt holster. Well wouldn't you know it, a large boat went speeding by, which caused me to roll. Everything fell out of the kayak, and I guess the holster came unsnapped at some point. Unfortunately, my gun is now at the bottom of the river. What a bummer. Planning on ordering one of those Hill People Gear bags whenever the color I want comes back in stock. Will carry an easily replaceable semi-auto in the future also. Man am I beating myself up over losing my Smith & Wesson Model 65-2 with the serial number starting in 7D5. Thanks for everyone's recommendations though. I really appreciate it.

A small update:
Went kayaking this weekend on the multnomah/columbia and decided to take my S&W 65-2 in a belt holster. Well wouldn't you know it, a large boat went speeding by, which caused me to roll. Everything fell out of the kayak, and I guess the holster came unsnapped at some point. Unfortunately, my gun is now at the bottom of the river. What a bummer. Planning on ordering one of those Hill People Gear bags whenever the color I want comes back in stock. Will carry an easily replaceable semi-auto in the future also. Man am I beating myself up over losing my Smith & Wesson Model 65-2 with the serial number starting in 7D5. Thanks for everyone's recommendations though. I really appreciate it.
Just in case the AFT crawler is here and active. Sorry for your loss, but….

3F3C56C5-1511-4070-AA68-53290D5A6796.jpeg

A small update:
What brand of holster was it? I definitely would have had it in a chest rig. Survival sheath systems makes some nice stuff out if Dallas oregon

My first choice would be a Sig Mk25, their coatings on the Mk25 really do work. When I had my boat I was crabbing almost every weekend that I could, and that thing got soaked with bay water all the time, never an issue (I have had other Sigs rust with little moisture getting to them).

Second choice would be a Glock with maritime spring cups and without a grip plug (like everyone seems to buy). If you want to go another step, have all the metal parts NP3 coated.

Holster wise, the Hill People or a Kenai chest rig, but not sure if those would interfere with a PFD. If you want something for the belt, I would buy a Safariland ALS, they have a very good locking system and pert near every LE Dept. in the country uses them, along with the military, all over the globe.

Sounds like you should go magnet fishing.
I would've Geo marked that location in the river and definitely been back there doing such. Unlikely it would have gone far beyond where it fell.

Sad to say it like this, but open water deeper than visual sight and grab distance. HPG bag for the win. Would also lanyard it with para cord.

For insurance purposes I'm sorry you lost 8 handguns, 3 shotguns and several rifles in the boating accident. I hope this helps and I'm glad you're alright.

We boat a lot and even a small mishap seems serious. Be safe.

A small update:
Wow, that's a surprise :rolleyes:
sorry for your loss...

Do you recall saying this: paraphrasing the OP, who said he, "couldn't sleep at night if he lost his gun while kayaking and someone else found it".
just sayin',
:(

Last Edited:
Alright guys I guess that wasn't as funny of a joke as I thought it was, what with all the talk of losing guns in boating accidents on this site. No I didn't lose my gun in the river. But I do thank all of you for your tips. I'm planning on kayaking the Nehalem river in a couple weeks. Planning on ending at the bay. Deciding how many days/how long I want to go and finding the place to put it. Will be taking my Taurus G2C. It shoots great and if it was lost/ruined, I wouldn't be out much of anything. I'd really like to get one of those Hill People Gear Stubby Fanny pack bags. And I'll also have dry bags and whatnot. I'll post again with an actual update for how it goes.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews