JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think if I'm going to OC it will be with my AR! I like to see peoples responce to new and ineresting stimuli!!

Watch out, they might think it's an umbrella gun like they did to that guy at the Cornelius Winco 2 months back. Guy carried an umbrella and people paniced saying it was a gun. Cops called and went in searching for the guy. I bet they just about slapped the person who called them for that.

I'd say carry the AR, but carry an umbrella just in case just to show the officers that people were REALLY calling about an umbrella again. :s0114:

I tend to accidentally open carry with my IWB holster all the time, my shirt normally rides up over the grip whenever I get out of my car so the rest of my shirt is down except that. After it kept happening so much without wearing a sweatshirt or jacket I just said screw it and swapped out to my Fobus Paddle holster and carry outside. It's a lot more comfortable and you have every right to do it. :s0155:

I agree with Mountain Bear. I think an AR is overkill.

But, I also feel Spengo just stuffing a gun into his pants and flashing it around presents the wrong image as well.

I've said before, if you're going to open carry, do it well. Don't dress like a thug, don't wear your drop leg, etc.

But really, it's your right to wear it in a drop leg or even sling a rifle. So it doesn't matter what I think.

I'm not stuffing it into my pants. I have a very nice leather IWB holster. What the heck gave you that idea? :s0077: And I do dress nicely, did you read my previous posts? I actually do have a cheapo pos fobus paddle holster but I hate it and it's ugly. I carry a full size CZ-75 and it simply does not support the gun very well so I never use it. I'd rather just tuck my shirt in with my nice looking IWB to OC.

Only time I can think of to OC an AR is if there is some big disaster and you want to keep looters away. Or maybe going backpacking and you feel like bringing it for the lulz or something. Not that I think you shouldn't be able to OC your AR if you want to, but I just think it will probably end up being more trouble than it's worth. Pretty much guaranteed to have to deal with police if you do that. Also, it simply isn't very practical. Too bulky and heavy to want to carry around when you do day-to-day stuff. You don't see cops walking around with their patrol rifles either you know. Now... keeping one in a nice pelican case in your trunk is not a bad idea at all.

I tend to accidentally open carry with my IWB holster all the time, my shirt normally rides up over the grip whenever I get out of my car so the rest of my shirt is down except that.
That happens to me a lot too. My car has really low seats. I have the habit of pulling my shirt back down over it when I get out to re-conceal it.

I'm also not a fan of "in your face" politics. I don't appreciate being screamed at or verbally/physically intimidated by advocates or protestors, even if I already agree with their position.

However, openly carrying a firearm is akin to openly carrying a Bible. Neither of these are confrontational or forced and, if you believe in what you're openly carrying, you should be prepared to act as a good example of a believer and perhaps answer several questions. If you aren't prepared to do this (for whatever reason), then yes, cover it up.

Sorry, I can't see the similarities between a Bible and a OC. There is a big difference between a Bible in public and a firearm. And I have both, not ashamed of either, but I also don't parade the fact of either in my possession.

I have to share this.
Yesterday i got dressed to take my dogs to the dog park. Strapped on my 45 with ammo carrier and 2 extra mags for oprn carry being a nice say i wasn't going to wear extra clothes. I don't think anyome noticed my weapon even with people walking all around me.
Went to the range. Stopped at Starbucks for coffee afterwards. Went to Home Depot in Gig harbor and then it happened.
I was standing at the check out and the lady at the check out next to me said in a good clear voice "It is nice to see a prepared american." I said thank you!!!
Man that made my day.

Tattoo, you just started open carrying in Tacoma?

I'm in Lakewood. I don't usually get out much except to the college campus and the occasional trip to Safeway or Walgreens, and Wally World if they have ammo.

Only Costco has given me problems, so I gave them my membership card and told them to have a nice night. Haven't been back since. Only had one time in Lakewood Wal-Mart where some bonehead tried telling me weapons were banned since he as an employee couldn't carry. Starbucks should never give any problems, especially now that they've come out in the news and stated they go by the law.

Yep. Here in Tacoma. I called Costco and asked there policy about firearms and was told they are not allowed. OK. So I wont carry there. I will not carry into anywhere just to make a point. If I question the carry policy, then I grab the phone and find out. I want to do this as legal as I can. And for what its worth, that AR thing is just begging to get the police and so much negative response that it would be the worst thing I could think of doing. JMHO.
Dave

Dave, please be sure to report back on the reactions of the other shoppers and store management... You might consider having a buddy shadow you from a short distance to also observe how others are reacting. You would also have a witness if you are tackled by LEO.
I was going to suggest this too. Only downside I could think of is that if store security notices the two of you working together, where one with an OC gun might just arouse curiosity, two people (one clearly armed) might arouse suspicion.

MrB

Tattoo, nice work! It's good your not pushing the envelope at Costco.

Sometimes what is legal isn't always right. I never cared much for in your face politics no matter what side was doing it. Too me it's not a big deal to cover the gun up, it respects the feelings of others, it doesn't keep me from carrying a firearm, and it doesn't add to the public sentiment about poor opinions of gun owners. We all pick our hill to die on, this is simply not one I am interested in pursuing. Flame me if you want, I have heard all the reasons and I don't agree. I just don't see the advantage to have to justify myself at every public venue because of I want to force the issue. Enjoy.

Do you have a security system in your home? If you do my question is: Do you have a sign in your yard declaring that you have a security system? IMO open carrying does the same thing the sign does.

If you were looking to rob a store and there was a guy open carrying in there, wouldn't you wait until he was gone to go in?

Hope the OP lives in a rural area, otherwise he's being too lazy to get a concealed carry permit.

"Look at me, Im so badass Open Carrying"

Wow, did you read any of the previous 73 posts? Clearly he's not being a 'badass' wannabe. Tattoo has clearly posted what his intentions are, his motives and his results. There's nothing lazy about it. He has the CCL he's choosing to open carry.

Hope the OP lives in a rural area, otherwise he's being too lazy to get a concealed carry permit.

"Look at me, Im so badass Open Carrying"

Are you serious? How is he being a “badass” by OPing? It's legal to do so and he is being responsible. He said he won’t go places where they say it's not ok to do so, he said if he is unsure then he will call first. Maybe I am crazy but he doesn’t sound like he is trying to be a “badass” to me.

Most of you who have dealt with me in these threads know I can't help myself. I have to comment eventually.

Most of you who have commented or posted in this thread (including the OP), seem to be going about it in a responsible manner. I don't agree with open carry from a social and from a practical perspective. That's my choice, just like open carry is yours. That being said, you in the open carry crowd should really try to distance yourselves from the idiot advocating carrying the AR. I agree that most of you aren't trying to be "billy bad-***" carrying your pistol on your hip. But similar to the OP in the first open carry vs. concealed carry debate I engages in (his choice was to carry twin full size Glock 10mm's in what can best be described as a cowboy rig), all the AR would do is intimidate people. And unlike normal pistol OC, there is no arguing that carrying an AR is trying to do anything but make a point or intimidate someone.

I don't like open carrying. I think its a mistake, both from a personal tactic standpoint (arguable, but my opinion) and from a pro-2nd amendment standpoint (again, also my opinion). But at least the OP is talking about doing it as responsible as he possibly can. I don't like it, but at least I respect it...

Sorry, I can't see the similarities between a Bible and a OC. There is a big difference between a Bible in public and a firearm. And I have both, not ashamed of either, but I also don't parade the fact of either in my possession.

Similarities between a Bible and a pistol:
1. Possession of either is a right protected by the USC
2. It's not hard to find someone who is offended/made uncomfortable by the presence of either one
3. Both items (and those who carry them respectfully) have been villified and ridiculed by the media
4. Having either one in your possession will draw erroneous conclusions about you from others who don't see the need for them

How does a pistol in a holster constitute "parading" whereas a Bible, actually in your hand, does not? Or do you carry your Bible concealed?

The only reason a pistol on the hip gets such attention is because it's a pistol, no other reason. A person doesn't have to wave it around, point to it, talk about it, or bump people with it; it's going to get noticed because of what it is. But "parading" isn't defined as "visibly possessing an unpopular object." In fact, wearing a hat or t-shirt with a pro-gun slogan is closer to parading than carrying a pistol in a holster.

OCing an AR would probably result in a lot more 911 calls (Didn't this happen recently in Forest Grove when I guy was carrying an umbrella and someone thought it was a rifle?). If someone calls 911 on you, you will most likely get arrested, even if you are legally allowed to carry.

Also, you might end up scratching it!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top