JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For those against in your face politics, I'd rather be open carrying and dressed nice than wear camo cargo pants, a cap with an AR-15 on it, and a t-shirt that says something like "I'LL GIVE UP MY GUN WHEN THEY PRY IT FROM MY COLD DEAD FINGERS" and has a big flag in the background. Or anything from this site really: http://www.wearagun.com/ . Yuck.

I think I'm going to open carry today actually.

UPDATE...
Cabelas. Went through there front door Open Carrying in full view, with no jacket. Just me, my 1911 and 2-11 year old boys and 1-9 year old boy. ( my son is having some friends over) Was met within 5 steps inside the door by a young lady employee. Here we go I thought to myself. (brain- increase heartbeat to 90 beats per minute) Would you like to sign up for a Cabelas credit card and save $25 today off your purchase? she asked. (brain-decrease heartbeat to 65 beats per minute) Heck yea. Sign me up. Well we spent about an hour there with 0 probs of any sort. (right on)

Ok. lets get pizza and a few things at my local large grocery store. (brain- up that heartbeat again) PACKED store. Went in with NO questions asked. Walked about a mile to get to the toy section. NO prob. There I met a young man (20 something) who asked, Are you carrying because its your 2nd amendment right? WOW. This was a happy surprise. Yes I replied. He came over to me and put his hand out to shake mine. WOW. We shook hands and he pointed out to me that he carries a small gun in his front pocket. We talked a few minuets. We got what we came for and went to the register. Smiled, BS ed with the gall there, paid and left. 100% great experience so far. ( brain- lower heartbeat to 60 beats a minute and have a good day). So far, GREAT. I will keep you informed as time goes on.
Dave

I have asked my non gun owning coworkers how they would react. Not one of them knew that it was legal to open carry if you had a CHL here in Oregon. Every one of them said they would be very uncomfortable and even scared if they saw this. Most said they would leave the area especially if their children were with them. Many said they would call 911.

Actually you can open carry without one except in select cities, it's unfortunate that those select cities are pretty much all the major ones, but still without a permit you can, with a permit you can anywhere.

I agree with just dressing normal/nice and open carrying. It will get people to accept it more than an in your face t-shirt or wearing all camo (except military wearing it for a reason) Only ones I would consider wearing would be the zombie ones, but then again those aren't pushing gun anything on anyone, just comedic.

btw: good job on open carry tattoo, it's not that bad once you get used to it. I open carry about 50% of the time myself.

I've often thought about this and not to make a big deal out of it, I avoid it because of my ethnicity.
I think people react differently to a man with a gun depending on what he looks like. A middle aged Caucasian male will get a different reaction from a young black, middle eastern or in my case asian male with a handgun on his hip.

The majority of public is not aware of the laws regarding legality of carrying handguns. In this post 9-11/Virginia tech/Ft. Hood world we live in, racial profiling and handguns spark huge red flags in most people's minds.

I don't agree that this is right, but the reason I carry is for personal protection, and if carrying concealed is the only way for me to effectively be able to do this and live my life as normal, then that is the choice I have to make.

Just another perspective on the right to open carry. In my case I have the right, but I don't think I should exercise that right.

The instructor at my Oregon CC class stated that he OC's in the summer, when shorts & t-shirts don't really allow for good CC. Apparently most people who notice him OC'ing seem to think he is an officer.

I have spoken with Clark Co deputy re this open carry in the county. He says same thing, you will be challenged, the way he said it gave the impression that he personally didn't like open carry. Makes me wonder... Why so controlling and confrontational? If O-carry is legal, that should make the deputies action harrasment.

Excellent report!

ORBrit: Ethnicity is an influential factor in the judgments we make; this will probably never change. But a person's appearance is probably the strongest. If you have short hair, wear clean pants and a button-down dress shirt (tucked in) people aren't going to freak out as much as they would if you walk around in camo pants with an ill-fitting old t-shirt, 3-day beard, and greasy, scraggly meth-head hair.

OCed in bi-mart. Don't really have any decent OC holsters but I just tucked my sweater in so the IWB was visible. Anyway, went without incident and I did not notice any weird looks. One guy was eying my gun, but it seemed like more of an interested "hey a gun, guns are cool" type of look than "omg a gun! call da po-po!" type of look. I will do it again when I go out later this week and see what happens.

I introduced the idea of an open carry tonight with my wife.

Here's how the conversation went:
Me: "Dear I'm thinking of open carrying a gun"
her: "Why?"
me: "because I can"
her: "And your license was for..???"
me: "The ability to concealed carry into places where you can open carry"
Her: "Why? It's not like we live in L.A."
Her: "Can you help me cut the pizza... "
(See I still do little things like that for her... )

HA!

How would one OC an AR?

I prefer a single point. I would never have considered it if not for a guy interviewed at a "tea party". Said he " I just want people to realize this is still legal in most states".

I think if I'm going to OC it will be with my AR! I like to see peoples responce to new and ineresting stimuli!!

Can't say that I'd recommend that. I took mine out after just purchasing it, to a gas station to show my friend who manages the place, and I had customers call the cops on me immediatly. Luckily the cops were cool when the manager explained to them there was no harm being done, he just wanted to see it.

I agree with Mountain Bear. I think an AR is overkill.

But, I also feel Spengo just stuffing a gun into his pants and flashing it around presents the wrong image as well.

I've said before, if you're going to open carry, do it well. Don't dress like a thug, don't wear your drop leg, etc.

But really, it's your right to wear it in a drop leg or even sling a rifle. So it doesn't matter what I think.

Hey guys... I am the one that like to eyeballs those guy with open carry... not to freak out but want to see what kind of guns other carry. It may make them feel silly but I want to let them know that their gun is cool looking. :)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top