JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As of today, I will start open carrying. It is legal and it is my right. I will not step out of my legal boundaries. I will not try to cause a fuss. If I am asked to leave a store or anywhere else because of my open carry, I will with no Questions asked. I will keep you informed on how its going.
Dave.
Here is a good read on the subject.

<broken link removed>

Wow, I have rattled around the option of Open Carry too in Oregon just to see what happens.

Tattoo: what state you in?

I'm here in Tacoma. I have posted this on the 1911 forum with mostly positive response. I would just like to show people that not everyone that carries a gun is a criminal. :) I have nothing to hide. NEVER been in jail. 2 parking tickets in the last 20 years. That I promptly payed. I will keep you guys informed on the out come of this. Be it GOOD or bad.
Dave

Careful and good luck. Careful because I almost carried into a Social Security office on Thursday. I had to take my Dad there because Mom passed away recently.

FWIW, that SS office is just like a DMV except they have an armed guard searching people. He went through every woman's purse, no kidding. He didn't frisk us but he did ask me if I had a gun or a pocket knife.

After that you take a number, sit down among the crowd and wait for your number to be called. Lordy, I hate the way the gov't operates.

Just at the last second as I was getting out of the car it dawned on me to ditch the gun. I locked it in my under seat lock box.

What if I had forgotten? I almost did.

For you Rogue Valley folks, that was the SS office - the new one - behind Lowe's across the access road which runs behind Lowe's.

I open carry from time to time. I walk my dogs around the neighborhood/apartment complex openly carrying with my Glock on my hip in my Fobus holster. I'm just normal about it, walking my dogs, enjoying the outdoors. I get people walking up to me (neighbors I guess, but I don't really know them or their names) talking to and about the dogs, bsing about whatever. I've never had anyone ask me about it or anything, I've just got the occasional quick glance at the hip, but everyone has been real cool about it and know just by my mannerisms that I'm friendly and one of the good guys.

Yep. The posture thing tells people a lot. I do not Posture. I am a 52 yr old honest, calm, easy going kind of guy that doesn't want to cause a commotion but do want to show that just because I carry a gun, it doesn't make me a bad person. If people really knew how many good gun people walk by them every day, carrying a weapon concealed, this would not get there dander up.
Well, I shall see.

tattoo, good for you, choosing to fight the Good Fight. Me, I'll let others haul the load, and keep my profile low.
I've thought about it on occasion, but never was the type to demonstrate in public - and that's what open carry is, a kind of demonstration. I vote and write my congresscritters, but that's about it.
"Always carry - never tell." For me that means everywhere except the post office.

About a year ago I called the Clark County Sherriff's office and asked if it was legal to do so. "Yes it is BUT you will be challenged every step of the way". I have done it in the past but I recommend starting off slow maybe around the neighborhood then to the corner store. I have seen people at Wal-Mart OCing.

Tattoo - Good for you... keep us posted on the good, the bad and the ugly.

Yep. The posture thing tells people a lot. I do not Posture. I am a 52 yr old honest, calm, easy going kind of guy that doesn't want to cause a commotion but do want to show that just because I carry a gun, it doesn't make me a bad person. If people really knew how many good gun people walk by them every day, carrying a weapon concealed, this would not get there dander up.
Well, I shall see.

I've personally met Dave.... He is about the calmest looking, nothing criminal, middle aged guy you will see. It will be interesting to see how things turn out for ya, Dave. You disposition lends itself to receiving, just about the least negative response you could hope for... keep us posted!:s0155:

BTW- What are you carry? Colt Commander?

Im guessing, if at any point someone with out a CCW permit walked around with the weapon covered up, (lets say by accident if a shirt became untucked and covered the pistol on the hip) the carrier could be busted for carrying a concealed weapon, correct?

I think if you tried open carry in Portland you would end up in the public stocks for at least six months. Maybe the dunking tank, not sure about that.:)

I can visualize police officers running from all directions and jumping on your back, zapping you with a taser, shooting you with the bean bag guns, etc. It would be a painful experience.

I think if you tried open carry in Portland you would end up in the public stocks for at least six months. Maybe the dunking tank, not sure about that.:)

I can visualize police officers running from all directions and jumping on your back, zapping you with a taser, shooting you with the bean bag guns, etc. It would be a painful experience.

======================================================

Open carry is illegal in Portland.

I applaud those who open carry because "they can" but will likely opt out for the most part. Hopefully, your actions will open some Sheeple eyes to the fact that we are the good guys. I think those who open carry for the first time should have thought through a couple of things in advance: 1) are you proficient at weapon retention? and 2) how are you going to respond if a cop or rent-a-cop decides to disarm you?

Cops undergo weapon retention training because many shot cops became that way with their own weapon. Many also carry in retention holsters. Some cop you run across or that responds to the "man with a gun" call you precipitate will decide to disarm you until he figures out what is going on. Will you allow it... and how will you respond? Hand it over or allow him to take it out of your holster? What about the clueless self-important rent-a-cop? What if he gets physical with you? Both can get help quickly on their radio but you will be all on your own unless you are traveling with a competent armed companion.

These are issues the concealed carry person is much less likely to face. The weapon retention issue becomes more important as one ages because most teen and twenty-something tough guys can clean your clock once you are into your 50's (whether you think so or not). Giving up the element of surprise creates some issues you need to think about before they happen.

I'll be tuned in to see how you bold souls do around town. :)

I really don't see the need to open carry a gun. Like it has been gone over many times, I don't need the dirty looks and cops hassling me everywhere I go. Unless you had a good reason to open carry, I don't see what the benefit of "It's my right!" argument to tell you the truth.

It's also legal to walk around naked, but why would I want to? Why draw unneccessary attention to yourself? What is the point of carrying a firearm for self defense if the bad guy knows you are armed, you will become the first target. In my opinion the whole reason for carrying concealed is if I need to defend myself or family in a lethal threat situation I will hopefully be able to shoot the bad guy without him having knowledge I have a firearm until he has already been hit. It is much better to be in a "shooting" than a fire fight.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews