JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Nuclear power IS the future... but, most people have been manipulated by the media and special interest groups. (Surprise!)

Less population would also solve a lot of problems, but nah... greed and selfishness is an innate human trait.

-Robert
I think a lot of the worry about nuke power has faded relative to the hippie-dippie nonsense of a few decades ago. But then I don't pay too much attention to the kinds of people who get upset about that kind of thing, so my perception may be off.

Ad
There seems to be a lot of people questioning our ability to adapt to climate change. Humans have adapted to everything the earth and it's contents have thrown at us so far, why should we doubt that humans won't be able to adapt to future changes in our world?
This whole thing is a bunch of male bovine scat. $20 worth of mylar place in geostationary orbit between the Earth and the sun would cool things down quite nicely (if indeed it needs cooled).
Think about that. A not very large sheet of mylar could cast one hell of a big shadow on the Earths surface and put the kibosh on the global warming crap IF they were serious about stopping it (assuming it exists at all).
Good logic, but plants, the driving force of 99.999999% of every living thing on earth, would plumit in their ability to do photosynthesis. Also, they are evolved for current solar emissions, not reduced ones. This presents a slew of problems we dont even know about.

Last Edited:
You were driving places where there were rivers to grow food because that is where people now live. You didn't have reason to observe all the abandoned places.

I served in the Middle East, too. I saw first hand how little agriculture there is left.

You can't just switch from rain based agriculture to all irrigation. Just the amount of pipe involved is staggering. And that's ignoring that the rivers are fllled primarily by snow pack melt, and that irrigation increases soil salinity over time.
Yea, snowpack is a huge one. Western Cascades, a few degrees IS the difference between snow and rain.

Ad

Good logic, but plants, the driving force of 99.999999% of every living thing on earth, would plumit in their ability to fo photosynthesis. Also, they are evolved for current solar emissions, not reduced ones. This presents a slew of problems we dont even know about.
Plants will thrive in warming planet with increased CO2 levels, as long as they have water.

I think a lot of the worry about nuke power has faded relative to the hippie-dippie nonsense of a few decades ago. But then I don't pay too much attention to the kinds of people who get upset about that kind of thing, so my perception may be off.
If I remember right the French had a pretty good nuke program that would allow them to strip of the used top layer off the nuclear rod allowing them to re-use it over and over until it was pretty much gone, so the left-over waste was very low compared to the us system.

I could be wrong as it's been a while sense I last looked into it and they could have just been saying propaganda to make it look good as well.

One never knows.

Yea you do not hear much about them any more unless one melts down or a tsunami hits one. With new tech they could work real well compared to the old ones.

So where do we start. If you watch the discovery channel on the earth or read any thing on how the earth works its amazing what you find out.

The last Ice age in America was 12 thousand years ago and it all melted before industry, cars and any one ever heard about the ozone layer. Was it neanderthal/mans use of fire that melted the snow and ice or was it just the planet shifting on its rotational axis or the movement of tectonic plates?

They also say that during that time neanderthal/man move across ice bridges from Europe to the US. What happened to those bridges?

Thy say in the beginning there was basically one continent called Pangaea and over time the tectonic plate caused it to separate and become the different continents.

The US still moves approximately 1 inch a year in a south west direction because of the tectonic plates and this will change the ocean currents doing more damage to the weather pattern than man. It also means each year we move closer to the equator. All continents move away from each other at different rates every year and each movement will have an effect on ocean currents.

The last big tsunami/earth quake that hit Japan they say moved the Japanese coast by 8 feet changing the ocean current drastically and the ocean currents help maintain weather patterns. This is why warmer waters move into different areas causing the warmer weather.

The other big thing they discovered is the moon is also slowly moving away from Earth and out of its orbit changing the way the ocean tides work.

So, before everybody goes crazy, I do admit man pollutes to a point it could be our down fall but I do not believe we are changing the weather as there has been at least 5 ice ages in our past and man was not around for most.

Now will we survive? Yep at least for a good long time, we are not as hardy as a cock roach but we can adapt to a lot, if the will to live is there.

Will it be easy? Heck no but life is never easy we just adapt and make it work.
Man, if you are in North Idaho you need to research the Missoula floods, and the Clark Fork's role in it, you would enjoy it.

Because humans have never lived with the level of heat we're headed toward?
But we're not frozen either which was what the climate crisis was decades ago before it was changed to "global warming" and then "climate change."

Lots of people have made a lot of money off claiming the sky is falling.

Man, if you are in North Idaho you need to research the Missoula floods, and the Clark Fork's role in it, you would enjoy it.
Thank you I will, I have looked a bit into the whole super volcano but not much on the Ice age flooding.

Plants will thrive in warming planet with increased CO2 levels, as long as they have water.
You are spot on, almost. Yup, the CO2 rise we are looking at would likely be helpful for plants, and we would actually have slightly more water in the atmosphere (since its warmer, easier to evaporate), which should lead to slightly higher amounts of rainfall (variance due to local topography and location). But, the insurmountable issue is that plants are evolved to live in specific climates, elevations, soil types, avg rainfall, local herbivore interactions, and parasitic interactions(think Bark Beetle) that have been layed down over thousands, potentially millions of years.

Plants cant just "get up" and walk to the climate they are evolved for. Big critters and humans can, but little critters and plants are going to have major issues. Start messing with the base of the food pyramid, and everything above it is affected, perfect example of a "Trophic Cascade."

Last Edited:
As usual we seemed to get a bit off topic but as far as humans adapting, we seem to adapt to new things every day and a lot of times do not even think about it.

As far as climate change in particular as stated in many other post humans adapt or move. Even the earliest folks in the US would follow herds of animals in the winter and summer to keep the tribe feed and they would camp along water as the animals would need water and so would they.

We will adapt or die its the way its always been.

No one likes change but over the last 2 years we all have changed in our way of thinking on Mask mandates, vaccines and what role the government has in our lives. I do not care if you're for or against I am just saying we adapted to the change.

Folks have moved from one state to another, gave up jobs because of it and lost businesses and lively hoods all based on just that.

Climate will not be any different just harder in my opinion as folks will move, learn new skills and push on. We will survive.

But we're not frozen either which was what the climate crisis was decades ago before it was changed to "global warming" and then "climate change."

Lots of people have made a lot of money off claiming the sky is falling.
I don't know of anytime in the last 50 years where anyone was worried about global cooling, except in the event of nuclear war.

"Global warming" has moved to "climate change" largely because every time someone brought up warming someone else pointed out that this particular winter in Illinois was colder, not understanding that the climate isn't like a fish tank.

I hate to break it to everybody, but the last ice age isn't over, we are in a geologically brief interglacial period of the current one. If you think a few extra degrees suck think about what WILL happen when it gets cold again. As recently as 1816 we had a cold snap where no crops were grown: https://modernsurvivalblog.com/lessons-from-history/1816-year-without-a-summer/

Next, we just aren't that freaking significant where the Earth's climate is concerned. The last time I calculated natural vs. man made CO2 I came up with 0.01% man made. Here is an article that shows it much less based on IPCC data: https://shiftfrequency.com/man-made-co2-3-of-3-of-0-1/

The Earth's climate is frankly not within our control.

Now, in terms of effing thing up, well yessiree we are pretty good at that. I'm FAR more worried about the depletion of aquifers than I am about temperatures we can't control. No water = no food = no hydration = no life. Southern California through Arizona is set for maximum pain.

The rest is politics aimed at control. Nothing more and nothing less.

I don't know of anytime in the last 50 years where anyone was worried about global cooling, except in the event of nuclear war.
Your right sort of it was just shy of 50 year ago all through the 70s all the talk was about global cooling and mini ice age and scientist could not even agree back then. Just like today there are two sides to every coin!

I hate to break it to everybody, but the last ice age isn't over, we are in a geologically brief interglacial period of the current one. If you think a few extra degrees suck think about what WILL happen when it gets cold again. As recently as 1816 we had a cold snap where no crops were grown: https://modernsurvivalblog.com/lessons-from-history/1816-year-without-a-summer/

Next, we just aren't that freaking significant where the Earth's climate is concerned. The last time I calculated natural vs. man made CO2 I came up with 0.01% man made. Here is an article that shows it much less based on IPCC data: https://shiftfrequency.com/man-made-co2-3-of-3-of-0-1/

The Earth's climate is frankly not within our control.

Now, in terms of effing thing up, well yessiree we are pretty good at that. I'm FAR more worried about the depletion of aquifers than I am about temperatures we can't control. No water = no food = no hydration = no life. Southern California through Arizona is set for maximum pain.

The rest is politics aimed at control. Nothing more and nothing less.
Yea, we have gotten way off topic. I personally think humans will be around for a very long time, there is just going to be alot of variance along the way for various factors: war, oil, CO2, climate, etc.

But back to off topic: we definitely are in an interglacial period as our continental arrangement does not easily allow oceans to balance out energy imbalances from thr sun. This makes it easier for ice to form. But ice core (melt ice, measure gas in bubbles) data shows hugely irregular recent data with refrence to CO2 emmissions compared to geologically recent trends, and that goes back 800,000ish thousand years, and super accurate. That spans many glaciated and non glaciated periods (ice ages), which would mean we are currently experiencing climatic conditions that definitely were not around for the last 800,000 years, and probably longer. Which means we are far beyond atmospheric conditions of all previous (that we have data for) interglacial periods. This favors the potential for rapid climate change in the hotter direction (for the time being).

We likely experiance another ice age in a few thousand years, but first we have a whole lotta "Natural Selection" and human death and adaption that is going to happen.

Last Edited:
The last time I calculated natural vs. man made CO2 I came up with 0.01% man made.
This doesn't mean anything. Any closed system can be broken by adding something to it that it can't handle. CO2 levels are rising because it is produced faster than it is consumed, and it doesn't just go away. So whether it is .01% or .000001%, there is more of it in the atmosphere. 50% than it has historically been for all of our time on earth, and the highest its been in 14 million years.

Stop hiding behind meaningless numbers. The important numbers go hand in hand with the lack of snowfall, increasing hurricanes and damage to life.

Your right sort of it was just shy of 50 year ago all through the 70s all the talk was about global cooling and mini ice age and scientist could not even agree back then. Just like today there are two sides to every coin!
And the more fear the scientific claim can generate the more coin there is to fund research papers. The sad thing is that as we become desensitized as they continue to cry wolf we will ultimately ignore a real threat.

For the entirety every few years there have been sensationalized claims of disaster only to find out a few years later it was yet another case of Emily Latella misunderstanding the situation

"Global warming" has moved to "climate change" largely because every time someone brought up warming someone else pointed out that this particular winter in Illinois was colder, not understanding that the climate isn't like a fish tank.
Should try reading more, it was a real concern.

This doesn't mean anything. Any closed system can be broken by adding something to it that it can't handle. CO2 levels are rising because it is produced faster than it is consumed, and it doesn't just go away. So whether it is .01% or .000001%, there is more of it in the atmosphere. 50% than it has historically been for all of our time on earth, and the highest its been in 14 million years.

Stop hiding behind meaningless numbers. The important numbers go hand in hand with the lack of snowfall, increasing hurricanes and damage to life.
If the system was 0.01% short of failure it was already doomed. Try learning about biological feedback systems. Here is a hint: Why is the oxygen content of our atmosphere constant at approximately 20%? What is the relationship of CO2 and atmospheric Oxygen within the carbon cycle? What is the relationship of solar cycles to the Earth's temperature? Why do climate scientists suppress data that might prevent funding?

Status

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads