JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Sorry in advance......to the Yutes reading this thread....
But does someone remember when that book was popular?

Aloha, Mark
Resource depletion is a problem and increasing populations are contributing to it. Fresh water is a problem around the globe and will continue to be as long as we are populating historically arrid parts of the world.

Mega droughts have long been hitting the Southwest some lasting a hundred years or more. Those happened long before we came around in any significant numbers.

Yup, and all the other low grade popular predictions and science fiction of the era. His predictions didn't come true in part because people have been working on keeping the environment stable, and because many populations embraced birth control.
NOT agreeing that any book could 100% accurately predict the future.
Tough.....
Some might say that the overturning of Roe.......well, for some, they believe that it will/might just change the future scenario again.

Aloha, Mark

NOT agreeing that any book could 100% accurately predict the future.
Tough.....
Some might say that the overturning of Roe.......well, for some, they believe that it will/might just change the future scenario again.

Aloha, Mark
Doubt it will have much impact on population growth.

1651774690246.png

Because they use fuel to run their air conditioners, fuel to import food and water.

People also live in the Antarctic and in space. So what?
So what? You made the statement, "Because humans have never lived with the level of heat we're headed toward". That's what.

And there are plenty of people on this planet that do not live with modern conveniences such as AC.

Has anyone done a study on how continental drift effects sea level change? :s0153:
Maybe we should try to stop "Global Drifting"? Maybe get the "woke" crowd to buy "Shift Credits" to save the World through pointless posturing.

So we adapt. Fuel, ac, etc are all forms of us adapting.
That isn't adaptation. That is taking resources from one place and transporting it to another. Like saying that batteries make electricity.

You can live in Death Valley or aboard a submarine. But eventually the part of the world that grows things and has fresh water has to keep you going.

That isn't adaptation. That is taking resources from one place and transporting it to another. Like saying that batteries make electricity.

You can live in Death Valley or aboard a submarine. But eventually the part of the world that grows things and has fresh water has to keep you going.
Call it what you want, we make changes so we can survive and thrive.

So what? You made the statement, "Because humans have never lived with the level of heat we're headed toward". That's what.

And there are plenty of people on this planet that do not live with modern conveniences such as AC.
Right, and those people are often living on the excess production of the places that have decent temps and water. Living in Death Valley doesn't demonstrate anything about adaptation - it demonstrates that you can use wealth to put someone on life support.

So unless you're suggesting that the majority of people are going to avoid extinction by living in caves and growing food underground, I'm not sure what point you're making. We already have large sections of the earth that are essentially lacking life, and those areas are growing.

I have to disagree with the basic premise that just because a significant portion of human beings can adapt and continue to survive excuses that we are degrading our living habitat to the extant we have. The biggest losers in this scenario are the generations that follow...
I think the water shortage in the American South West could easily reach a tipping point in the next 20-30 years and significant changes in water allotment occur...
If pollution decimates the population of bees (pollinators) that will affect fruit and other food production. Not to the point humans starve, but it will raise the cost and limit supply...
America does not depend on cheap food from the ocean to to extant that many impoverished Asian and African nations to feed their populations. My guess is this is where we might first see the direct effect on large numbers of humans, famine is certainly possible.
That is just my casual observer thoughts, I would guess that people who study this would point out different circumstances.

As a member of a multi-generational family of farmers and outdoors people, I am tired of seeing the environment continuously degraded and excused.

So, to fix the problem we are going to go to electric cars with batters that have to basely be made in foreign countries because they pollute the US.

We need wind farm all over the US to charge said cars as coal, nuke and dams harm nature and pollute the earth yet they found that wind farms also change the weather by adding air movement that did not exist before.

Yep, solar power works for about 8 month in most of the country as the rest of the year it snows or rains and the suns not out also the materials to make panels if damaged can pollute the earth.

I love saving the earth.

So, unless your going to give up all your stuff and live in caves or mud huts and live off the land nothing will change hell we are polluting space so we can have internet with satellites that will eventually become space junk and fall to earth.

Last Edited:
So, to fix the problem we are going to go to electric cars with batters that have to basely be made in foreign countries because they pollute the US.

We need wind farm all over the US to charge said cars as coal, nuke and dams harm nature and pollute the earth yet they found that wind farms also change the weather by adding air movement that did not exist before.

Yep, solar power works for about 8 month in most of the country as the rest of the year it snows or rains and the suns not out also the materials to make panels if damaged can pollute the earth.

I love saving the earth.

So, unless you going to give all your stuff and live in caves or mud huts and live off the land nothing will change hell we are polluting space so we can have internet with satellites that will eventually become space junk and fall to earth.
Germany, which is far north, produces an excess of power through solar. I don't think you have the best information.

Germany, which is far north, produces an excess of power through solar. I don't think you have the best information.
Is this the same Germany that is/was reliant on Russia for energy? I wouldn't call this an excess of energy.

"In 2021, Germany imported 63.7% of its energy. About 98% of oil consumed in Germany is imported. In 2021, Russia supplied 34.1% of crude oil imports, the US 12.5%, Kazakhstan 9.8% and Norway 9.6%."

They also get there gas and oil from Russia through a pipe line that if leaks pollutes the earth and destroys echo systems

Is this the same Germany that is/was reliant on Russia for energy? I wouldn't call this an excess of energy.

"In 2021, Germany imported 63.7% of its energy. About 98% of oil consumed in Germany is imported. In 2021, Russia supplied 34.1% of crude oil imports, the US 12.5%, Kazakhstan 9.8% and Norway 9.6%."
Yup. The 8.2% of their power they get from solar is produced all year long. Which was the point I was making to your point about how solar was seasonal.

Nuclear power IS the future... but, most people have been manipulated by the media and special interest groups. (Surprise!)

Less population would also solve a lot of problems, but nah... greed and selfishness is an innate human trait.

-Robert

Solar has it's place and maybe farmers who run out of water for their crops can start farming solar energy. It has limitations including serious storage problems that currently require mining to solve. Factories in many cases need huge amounts of energy 24/7 and won't be able to rely on Solar. Hydropower should be further developed in areas where large rivers exist. Power and water first, fish last.

Nuclear power IS the future... but, most people have been manipulated by the media and special interest groups. (Surprise!)

Less population would also solve a lot of problems, but nah... greed and selfishness is an innate human trait.

-Robert
Birth rates are declining in many countries but improved health care is keeping too many people alive for too long.

Status

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top