JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For the thousandth time was reevaluating my preps and thought it might be a good idea to have some kind of prepackaged food for those times when someone might have to travel away from the ranch for some reason. Figured it would be quicker and easier to just grab a box/can/pouch and hit the road than it would be to put together traveling food from scratch. My first thought was MRE's, so I hit the internet and started looking. During my search, I came across these:

Each packet has about the same number of calories as 2 MRE packets, but they are substantially less expensive, and from what I've seen online appear to equally as shelf stable as the MRE.

Does anyone here have any experience with these or thoughts on their suitability as a substitute for the traditional MRE?

Very interesting! I'll have to pick some up. Any ideal where to get them?

You can get single cases from Amazon. Just search "humanitarian daily ration".

Those MREs are nice for grabbing and going since they are packaged well and don't need water or heat, but they don't set well with my body. Mt House freeze dried are pretty darn good but a hassle to reconstitute. Shelf life is something to consider when buying in quantity, so we have been buying up alot when BiMart has them on sale.

Found them here. Kinda spendy for me. Not to mention shipping. As I've always spent less than $40 for a case of MREs and they have meat, heaters and some kind of a candy and drink mix.
It sure would be nice to find these in a quantity less than a $2195.- pallet,....

My family is pretty well set but I could use a couple of boxes of MRE's or these Humanitarian Rations.

The last MRE's I saw were well over a $100.- per case at Andy and Bax.

Found them here. Kinda spendy for me. Not to mention shipping. As I've always spent less than $40 for a case of MREs and they have meat, heaters and some kind of a candy and drink mix.
Where are you sourcing MRE's at under $40 per case? Every place I found was a lot more expensive than that.

It sure would be nice to find these in a quantity less than a $2195.- pallet,....

My family is pretty well set but I could use a couple of boxes of MRE's or these Humanitarian Rations.

The last MRE's I saw were well over a $100.- per case at Andy and Bax.
I saw the individual cases (10 days food for 1 person per their calculation) for a little over $50 on Amazon. I think Sportsmans Guide has them as well.

Where do we find/decipher the date code on MRE?

Does anyone here have any experience with these or thoughts on their suitability as a substitute for the traditional MRE?
Those are in no way a substitute for a traditional MRE. NO sir! 🤣

A guy made a good comparison that I liked. Basically, if an MRE is like eating out at a good sit down restaurant, the HDR's are more like a school lunch from the 70's.

They aren't all that bad, but they can be gastronomically challenging for many since it's such an abrupt shift in food type intake. As a survival food source they certainly fit the bill and don't cost nearly what MRE's do though. Some things I don't like is that they don't contain any beaverages and no heaters. You don't really know how nice those little creature comforts are until you don't have them. The other thing is, I don't get real excited about sides and entrees that are basicaly just slight variations of the same thing. Ie., 3 bean sweet 'salad' (baked beans), with 3 bean savory stew with a few taters tossed in to make you feel good. Considering the very limited menu items to begin with... that get's old in a REAL hurry.

Obviously, if it's your only food option, they taste beautifully and overjoyed to have em, right.

In the OP, and looking for something for a guy to do a grab'n'go for an overnight outing, when you're not exactly down to desperate measures in the food department...that's a bit cruel, IMHO. Pony up for an MRE. Tucking HDR's away in your bomb shelter for SHTF and low cost alternative for MRE's... that's fair... if you must.;)

Last Edited:
Yeah, the "no meat or meat byproducts" part is kind of a turn off with these, but for short term of a day or two it would be tolerable. Longer than that and it's time to pack some jerky along.
SoylentGreen_reduced-1.jpg

I've got a case of MRE sitting on a shelf...these past 20++ years.
Close exam of both the box & the plastic bags have NO code date, Julian or otherwise. Had them so long I'm reluctant to do anything but toss them out. Will try to post photo later today.

I've got a case of MRE sitting on a shelf...these past 20++ years.
Close exam of both the box & the plastic bags have NO code date, Julian or otherwise. Had them so long I'm reluctant to do anything but toss them out. Will try to post photo later today.
I'll take them if you decide to toss them

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads