JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thinking of what would be going on around the hood to force us to use emergency food? Am I really going to care? Seems like staying warm and alive with the zombies roaming in gangs makes the taste/texture of food less important. Having shelter, ammo and clean water will be the biggies.
I think you're spot on in that assumption, and in short term, it probably doesn't amount to much to be overly concerned about food enjoyment factors as much as simply regular and consistent nutritional intake.

That said, long term (talking multiple weeks and months).. I believe it does play a much greater factor in overall well being and maintaining a healthy mental state. Short term, you're in "high gear" adrenaline mode and the "little stuff" doesn't really rank in order of your priorities. Longer term, you become accustomed to your new norm and secondary concerns become more critical to your longer term well being. Taking advantage of "small pleasures" can play a large role and it's then that I think food quality can have a more direct impact.

In that arena, I think the MRE fits the bill quite nicely. A balance between nutrition, long term storage viability, cost, portability, and enjoyability factors. Yeah... not all of them are created equal in the taste department, but "enough" of them are pleasing "enough" to the palate to still be "enjoyable" in a survival scenario. You have to take it with a grain of salt too when you're just trying one and subconsiously attempting to compare it to your standard home cooked fare. Obviously, it's going to be less appealing. Expectations have to be managed.

I agree too that some of the freeze dried stuff is better than MRE's in the taste department, but... not something I would stock in heavy supply or as a primary food source. Versatility in your food stores types is good, IMHO. Ie., Ready to eat, freeze dried, canning, canned goods, grains and other bulk stores.

My main gripe with freeze dried is... it requires potable water... which may be in short supply or require consumption of limited fuels, time and calories to process in adequate quantity. In those terms.. the "cost factor" to nutritional intake is too high.

My own personal opinion, obviously. I'm entitled. ;)

I'm lucky in that I already grow/raise 99+ percent of everything we eat and TEOTWAWKI won't change that. So, any food I might stash away is just an insurance policy against some freak occurrence that would take my land out of production.
Where abouts is your farm located? Just as an insurance policy.... asking for a friend.;)

For stocking up you can't beat HDRs, 10 packs, 20 entrees total for under $60

They're not completely bland, but they should have included hot sauce. I suppose id your starving, these might actually be the best thing in the world.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews