JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I looked through The Ultimate Survival Medicine Guide. It's written by an MD. I'm going to describe some of the content of the book, but I am not a doctor or even in the medical field, so I am not qualified to pass any judgment on the contents other than my impressions on the scope of the book ("It seems to me").

The author makes it clear that this book is for guidance in emergency situations where qualified medical care is not available.

It seems to me that this book is extremely comprehensive and well-written. I found it intimidating to contemplate trying to implement many of the procedures in this book. In some cases I fear that emergency care might need to be performed at a faster pace than I could do it. In many cases care or treatment is prescribed for illnesses or other maladies that I don't know how I would be able to diagnose in the first place, but I'm sure there are plenty of people here who can. I'm glad I bought it.

Chapter II. Responsibilities of the group Medic; skills; supplies; natural remedies, etc.
Chapter III. Ticks, dental care, respiratory infections, food- and water-borne illness, dehydration.
Chapter IV. Infections including appendicitis, urinary tract, hepatitis, fungal, cellulitis, mosquito-borne.
Chapter V. Environmental factors including heat, cold, altitude, wildfire, allergies.
Chapter VI. Soft tissue injuries, including wounds, burns, bites, stings, head injuries, sprains, dislocations, fractures, amputation.
Chapter VII. Chronic problems, including thyroid, diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, seizure, kidney stones.
Chapter VIII. CPR, headache, eye issues, nosebleeds, earache, hemorrhoids, birth delivery.

Last Edited:
This chapter gets a separate post because it is more relevant to this thread.

The author reiterates that these should not be used except in emergency situations where proper medical care is unavailable.

Chapter IX. Medications.
Essential Over-the-Counter Drugs.
Pain Medications
Natural Pain Relief
Stockpiling Medications, including antibiotics.

The author lists more than a dozen fish and bird antibiotics that he thinks would be beneficial to have on hand.
He warns against overuse.

He discusses the proper use for nine antibiotics, including proper dosages (ten pages).
He provides some insight on expiration dates, and how these antibiotics should be stored.
He discusses how these are different, if at all, from the same medicines sold for humans.

He talks about antibiotic allergies.
He discusses antifungal and antiviral drugs.

Last Edited:
This book inspires me to find a first aid class somewhere. What I would learn there might save a life, but it would only be about 1% of what this book has to offer. The book is well organized and it is easy to find what you need in most cases, I think. Without that organization, trying to find what you need would be like trying to take a sip of water from a firehose. :)

Thanks, Angie, for recommending this book.

Last Edited:
Here's a link to the Red Cross training for First Aid, CPR, AED, etc. They have both local classes and online classes, depending on where you live. Most of these cost about $35 that I saw.

Red Cross First Aid Training (Portland)

Beware the original default location was San Jose. I changed it to Portland, but if that isn't you, you will need to change it. I found it tricky to get it changed. I had to try to change it several times (seemingly doing the same thing every time) before it "took." 😑

This book inspires me to find a first aid class somewhere. What I would learn there might save a life, but it would only be about 1% of what this book has to offer. The book is well organized and it is easy to find what you need in most cases, I think. Without that organization, trying to find what you need would be like trying to take a sip of water from a firehose. :)

Thanks, Angie, for recommending this book.
You're welcome. I'm glad you found it a valuable use of your $$. I did also.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top