JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Technology can come up with desalination processes that can supply plenty of water. There is no shortage of water on the plant but making it drinking water and getting it where it's needed is man's challenge.
My guess is that dams would usually be cheaper than desalination. The places that use desalinantion probably don't have much access to large rivers.

You were driving places where there were rivers to grow food because that is where people now live. You didn't have reason to observe all the abandoned places.

I served in the Middle East, too. I saw first hand how little agriculture there is left.

You can't just switch from rain based agriculture to all irrigation. Just the amount of pipe involved is staggering. And that's ignoring that the rivers are fllled primarily by snow pack melt, and that irrigation increases soil salinity over time.

Millions live in Iraq and survive as long as their fellow man doesn't murder them. 114 degrees and folks were not dropping dead from the heat but getting killed by a war. People can do just fine in hot weather if they have water. Our problems in the future won't be a global warming but man's hatred for his fellow man.

Enough said, time to go .

Another benefit of capturing river water before it goes into the sea is that it will help cut back on the dilution of the saltwater. That has been a concern by some who are worried about the ice melting.

Desalination plants require huge amounts of energy - where does this energy come from - normally fossil fuel. To me this would only make the global warming issue worse. I really hate the term "Global Warming" to me they named it wrong - it should be referred to simply as "rapid climate change"

Populations are going to need the water to live not just for irrigation.
What, we're going to live on just water, not food?

I would say it demonstrates the human ability to overcome nature and thrive.
No, it shows that what happened in 553 wasn't a long term climate event, so the climate quickly recovered. Green house gas stuff is long term.

My guess is that dams would usually be cheaper than desalination. The places that use desalinantion probably don't have much access to large rivers.
Pumps and pipelines are the future, just like oil pipelines that keep us going there will be big water pipelines.

Have a great day, nice talking with you. Things to do and coffee is gone so time to get away from the net.

So where do we start. If you watch the discovery channel on the earth or read any thing on how the earth works its amazing what you find out.

The last Ice age in America was 12 thousand years ago and it all melted before industry, cars and any one ever heard about the ozone layer. Was it neanderthal/mans use of fire that melted the snow and ice or was it just the planet shifting on its rotational axis or the movement of tectonic plates?

They also say that during that time neanderthal/man move across ice bridges from Europe to the US. What happened to those bridges?

Thy say in the beginning there was basically one continent called Pangaea and over time the tectonic plate caused it to separate and become the different continents.

The US still moves approximately 1 inch a year in a south west direction because of the tectonic plates and this will change the ocean currents doing more damage to the weather pattern than man. It also means each year we move closer to the equator. All continents move away from each other at different rates every year and each movement will have an effect on ocean currents.

The last big tsunami/earth quake that hit Japan they say moved the Japanese coast by 8 feet changing the ocean current drastically and the ocean currents help maintain weather patterns. This is why warmer waters move into different areas causing the warmer weather.

The other big thing they discovered is the moon is also slowly moving away from Earth and out of its orbit changing the way the ocean tides work.

So, before everybody goes crazy, I do admit man pollutes to a point it could be our down fall but I do not believe we are changing the weather as there has been at least 5 ice ages in our past and man was not around for most.

Now will we survive? Yep at least for a good long time, we are not as hardy as a cock roach but we can adapt to a lot, if the will to live is there.

Will it be easy? Heck no but life is never easy we just adapt and make it work.

Millions live in Iraq and survive as long as their fellow man doesn't murder them. 114 degrees and folks were not dropping dead from the heat but getting killed by a war. People can do just fine in hot weather if they have water. Our problems in the future won't be a global warming but man's hatred for his fellow man.

Enough said, time to go .
On the north end of the Dead Sea where the Jordan River enters it was completely desolate, but years ago the Israelis began a process of drip irrigation and solar screening, and now they grow literally everything. Massive date orchards, all kind of vegetables and tropical fruit. Straight across is the Jordanian border and the Jordanians and Israelis collaborated and now the Jordan side looks much like the Israeli side. The Israelis even created and grew their own National Forest down near Qiryat Gat if memory serves me….its been a while since we were there. Point is, there is always a way regardless of how screwed up things appear.

Instead of living relatively gluttonous wasteful lifestyles and making future plans to fix all our fukkups that we're already acknowledging and planning for, how bout we just stop fukkin' it up? Sure adaptation and evolution might eventually make us into some leathered, scaly ancestral branch of sapien that require very little oxygen to exist, but that's hundreds of generations away and we won't be humans at that point. To adapt to our surroundings now would be to acknowledge what we've done and adapt our current situation to make the environment that we live in more suitable to our species, not mess it up so bad that our grandchildren's genetics are forced to adapt to the cesspool we've made for them.

So where do we start. If you watch the discovery channel on the earth or read any thing on how the earth works its amazing what you find out.

The last Ice age in America was 12 thousand years ago and it all melted before industry, cars and any one ever heard about the ozone layer. Was it neanderthal/mans use of fire that melted the snow and ice or was it just the planet shifting on its rotational axis or the movement of tectonic plates?

They also say that during that time neanderthal/man move across ice bridges from Europe to the US. What happened to those bridges?

Thy say in the beginning there was basically one continent called Pangaea and over time the tectonic plate caused it to separate and become the different continents.

The US still moves approximately 1 inch a year in a south west direction because of the tectonic plates and this will change the ocean currents doing more damage to the weather pattern than man. It also means each year we move closer to the equator. All continents move away from each other at different rates every year and each movement will have an effect on ocean currents.

The last big tsunami/earth quake that hit Japan they say moved the Japanese coast by 8 feet changing the ocean current drastically and the ocean currents help maintain weather patterns. This is why warmer waters move into different areas causing the warmer weather.

The other big thing they discovered is the moon is also slowly moving away from Earth and out of its orbit changing the way the ocean tides work.

So, before everybody goes crazy, I do admit man pollutes to a point it could be our down fall but I do not believe we are changing the weather as there has been at least 5 ice ages in our past and man was not around for most.

Now will we survive? Yep at least for a good long time, we are not as hardy as a cock roach but we can adapt to a lot, if the will to live is there.

Any basic book about geology or climate history would answer your questions. They really have nothing to do with our discussion. And no, the tiny number of people that existed at the end of the last ice age didn't melt the glaciers with their camp fires.

People are adaptable in a fairly small range. We survive off an environment that makes food available. People don't live in dry deserts or on glaciers, and never have. They live where water makes plants grow and there are animals that eat the plants. Raise the temp high enough and that stops happening.

People are adaptable in a fairly small range. We survive off an environment that makes food available. People don't live in dry deserts or on glaciers, and never have. They live where water makes plants grow and there are animals that eat the plants. Raise the temp high enough and that stops happening.
That is my point the weather has been changing from the beginning of time and you as a human can not fix it. Cultures moved from place to place as climates changed, rivers shifted and deserts formed. We can stop pollution but not the weather.

That is my point the weather has been changing from the beginning of time and you as a human can not fix it. Cultures moved from place to place as climates changed, rivers shifted and deserts formed. We can stop pollution but not the weather.
You can however, stop perpetuating it. The amount of change we cause in the last century should have taken millenia.

Yes, we can fix it. We can screw it up, and have. We can also use our abilities to influence the climate in helpful ways. Many options exist.

Just like we can fly. Just like we can travel in space

If it didn't happen in their lifetime or since we've been keeping "records" they don't want to hear about it. Another ice age will come and then we'll have some real adapting to do.

Exactly, the problem with todays civilizations is we have put in roots and don't like change.

If it didn't happen in their lifetime or since we've been keeping "records" they don't want to hear about it. Another ice age will come and then we'll have some real adapting to do.
We are not going to have an ice age, possibly ever again. There is a tipping point where the planet just overheats and the evaporation/snow cycle ends. Like Venus.

Sorry in advance......to the Yutes reading this thread....
But does someone remember when that book was popular?

Aloha, Mark
Yup, and all the other low grade popular predictions and science fiction of the era. His predictions didn't come true in part because people have been working on keeping the environment stable, and because many populations embraced birth control.

And yet people live in places like 29 Palms and Death Valley where one can literally fry an egg on the asphalt.
Because they use fuel to run their air conditioners, fuel to import food and water.

People also live in the Antarctic and in space. So what?

Status

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads