JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sometimes I go overboard. I might be pleasantly surprised how I felt downsizing to 3 or 4 guns.
You don't know until you know.

It was an interesting experience for me. In my case, it was due to economics rather than some extensional curiosity.

FWIW, I kept a Sig P220 SAO, Benelli Nova with 26" and 18" barrels and a Remington 7 in 7mm-08. All served my defense and hunting needs for several years before getting back on my feet and adding different guns to fit specific needs.

If I had to do it again, I'd likely keep the Sig P365, S&W 29-1, Henry 12ga single-shot and Tikka T3x .30-06.

As has been pointed out in so many ways, the answer is very subjective and personal. Everyone has their own needs and motivations.

I'm sure I have more than I need, and probably wouldn't miss half of them, but is seems about as good a place as any to store wealth at the present time. I have several nice, older hunting rifles gathering dust in the back of the safe, and I haven't hunted in over 20 years, nor will I. I keep them because I like them, and if I sold them I wouldn't have them. Yes, I realize that's not entirely logical.

Over the last couple years I got rid of a bunch of valuable surplus ammo that I was never going to use. I don't miss it, and am glad it's gone. I expect that at some time in the future I'll reach that point with guns, and get rid of a bunch of them too.

I guess one way of looking at is how long would it take to clean all guns you own.
Hello,

Many moons ago when I owned 15 or so guns back east and as a Newbie starting in the late 90's... I used to take all of my firearms to my indoor range and to my outdoor range (Sportsman's Club.). I always felt that I should take ALL of them and I loved shooting all of them. Same out here when I moved out west. I have NEVER ever regretted any firearm that I bought, owned or shot in RF or CF calibers.

Well, one time when I was cleaning my 15 or so guns which is NOT a lot compared to some of you but that is the most that I owned at ONE time (Back east.) - I thought that I would never get done cleaning them. I had 3 22lr rifles and the rest were in handguns.

I was and I still am picky about cleaning/caring for guns and as a Newbie I was very SLOW in cleaning them.

(I rarely shoot now, very LOW rounds per year, and my MT husband cleans the 2 bolt action rifles for me. He never cleans them inside of this house due to the smell issues for me.)

Back east, I would go into the house and have my late husband come out and inspect them for me. LOL Sometimes, he would show me something that I missed cleaning or I did not know was a moveable part on the inside of a gun as a Newbie. I would always look at and read the books that came with my NIB guns too. But I was still ignorant as a Newbie in learning about the inside parts or some little do dad.

I hated and still hate gun cleaner scents/smells and ANY type of a strong chemical smell in ALL household cleaning and laundry products. That goes for personal care products that stink, smell like a chemical or are so strong that it takes forever for the 'scent' to go away. Cough, cough and cough!

Back east, I always cleaned my guns in the 36 x 24 garage with the loft with the door wide open even in the bitter cold.

I could put up with the Shooter's Choice in the old brown glass bottle though. But it had to be in an open space or in the garage with the door wide open. Any season of the year. Back there, we actually had 4 FULL seasons.

Talk about being cold, getting sore hands, and trying to good job! I was SLOW! I got a bit faster but I was never a super fast gun cleaning lady.

Take care.

Old Lady Cate

Last Edited:
A year ago a gun mag came out with a review of a firearm. Had everything I liked so I get online to check price and availability. Was about 5 or 10 minutes and then I realized I already have one.
I think I have enough.
My husband got a kick out of your post!

Take care.

Cate

Hello,

Many moons ago when I owned 15 or so guns back east and as a Newbie starting in the late 90's... I used to take all of my firearms to my indoor range and to my outdoor range (Sportsman's Club.). I always felt that I should take ALL of them and I loved shooting all of them. Same out here when I moved out west. I have NEVER ever regretted any firearm that I bought, owned or shot in RF or CF calibers.

Take care.

Old Lady Cate
I used to do this until I finally started buying annual membership to my range. Every time I went I felt like I had to pack so many guns I often could barely carry them in the damn door. As soon as I just bought an year at a time? I started to enjoy it a hell of a lot more. Often I will go with just a couple guns. Knowing that if I want I can go back the next day with something else. Also then don't have to spend the next week cleaning the damn things. Not to mention I tend to shoot a lot more often which is of course a good thing. Or at least it was before it got to where we could not find anyone to work and I had more free time 🤬

I hated and still hate gun cleaner scents/smells and ANY type of a strong chemical smell in ALL household cleaning and laundry products. That goes for personal care products that stink, smell like a chemical or are so strong that it takes forever for the 'scent' to go away. Cough, cough and cough!
There are some newer gun cleaners that are fairly light in scent compared to the "classics". Can't remember which they are but I'll try to let you know if I find the info.

I've tested what were the upper limits for me. At one time, I had over 80 guns. Yes, I know, there are some guys who have hundreds. But for me, 80+ was the limit and then I came to my senses. You don't think about it as the count is growing, but after bit it becomes a logistical issue. So many to be secured, so many to be insured, so many to be taken care of.

I once had a pal who owned more than 100 vehicles. Talk about a problem of logistics. He was so busy with them as a mass that he never had time to have fun with any single vehicle. And really only a handful were properly maintained. He was more into acquisition than quality issues. Yet for him, every single one had redeeming qualities. He made it to age 67. At the end of his life, they were cutting off his legs in stages, he had no need of any vehicle. After he died, somebody else had the chore of getting rid of them.

Having certain models of gun that you like tends to beget the desire for more. Like Smith & Wesson revolvers, you can go nuts buying those. "Oh, I have the N Frame .44 Mag. But they make those in .41 Mag, too, so I'll get one of those." And a .45 Colt, and a .45 ACP/Auto Rim, and a .357, and a .44 Special, etc. "Oh, and I want the older one with the pinned barrel as well as the newer one." Etc. "Oh, and they make those in both blue AND nickel." "Oh, and they make those in different barrel lengths, I want one of each." On and on it goes.

Now that I'm getting along in age, out of respect for Mrs. Merkt I have been paring back my holdings. I got started on that about three years ago. Now I'm down to 23 guns and I could let a few more go. When I committed to liquidating most of my holdings, once embarked I never looked back. And I have to say, it's been like a cleansing breath to not have so many to take up my energies.

Some random thoughts on how many guns are enough...

Be sure that you own your stuff...and that your stuff doesn't own you...

Be happy with what you own....comparing what you own to what others own , can lead to negative thoughts.

Own what you like....and what works for / interests you....
Andy

Having been asked, "How many guns do you have?", my standard reply is, "If you count 'em, you might have a problem."

A buddy keeps telling me in phone conversations, "I'm gonna start sellin' 'em off. I'm gonna quit buyin.", then a week or two later, "Hey! Guess what I found!"

So, genuinely interested, I bite: "What? Whadja get?"

"A Sako .243. It's perfect!"

"Don't you already have 3 or 4 of those?"

"Yeah. But its a disease. Ya hafta get well."

How many guns do you need the answer is, JUST ONE.

The one you trust the most

The one that you practice the most with

The one that looks a little rough because you carry it every day

The one you would use to defend yourself from a tyrannical government and bad people.

So, the answer is just one!

The bad part is you might have to interview many, many guns over many years to find that right one that meets all your needs, so until you do find that one, you have to hang onto the rest just incase there is none better than what you have.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top