JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Break it down into categories

1. Guns you need
-EDC
-home defense
-duty gun (if applicable)
-hunting
-competitions
-any other situation you can justify a "need"

2. Guns you want
-redundant guns (multiple guns same category that serve same purpose)
-collection
-additional hunting guns
-new EDC choices for rotation
-plinking
-fun guns
-old guns
-guns "passed down" by family

My current collection is always changing. I find that I have certain firearms I wouldn't sell unless absolutely necessary. I have some that I really like and eventually sell because I can't justify the "redundancy." I think you really only need 3-5ish guns to be completely modest, but I also don't think it's unreasonable to have 30-40+/- guns, if you're a collector.

NothingExceedsLikeExcess.jpg

My hunting rifles will never be replaced but I am sorely tempted at times to buy another that I don't need. I have a number of handguns and there are only a few that I may ever consider letting go. I've been down that road too many times.

As I get older I seem to be inheriting more and more guns. Never wanted to acquire them in such fashion
I don't have kids I wonder what will happen to them when I pass
I seem to be gun rich time to shoot them limited.

If space was unlimited and cash was endless I'd make sure every home I lived in had a dedicated gun room, along with an accompanying variety of firearms. The n+1 rule.

Unfortunately, the nature of my work requires frequent relocation which I've been lucky to avoid thus far. It is very likely in my career that I will wind up in either LA or NYC at one point. Given that, I see myself always owning at least 1 firearm - most likely a rifle because they have the least regulations compared to handguns, especially in New York. Ideally whatever the "one rifle" I own is it would be something 50 state compliant like a nice bolt action or maybe a Mini 14 (ARs are too much of a hassle to make compliant in some states).

I went from 106 down to 3 at one point.

I have more now, but will never reach the point of where I was. Different priorities now.
I don't have that many, but definitely too many. I'm seriously contemplating a large sell off. I enjoy trying new guns and the social aspect of buying or trading for new ones. I like, even more, the idea of having only three or four guns.

As I get older I seem to be inheriting more and more guns. Never wanted to acquire them in such fashion
I don't have kids I wonder what will happen to them when I pass
I seem to be gun rich time to shoot them limited.
You just need to adopt me, problem solved :s0005:

I see guns as tools, so to me enough is no different than deciding how many screwdrivers I need. From an SHTF perspective I have enough for my household, plus a spare plus parts kits and tools. I also have lived in my neighborhood long enough to decide what's needed to fill the gaps, and have enough to do that as well, plus comms, etc., if God forbid the need presents itself.

For the rest I have hunting and plinking covered to meet my needs plus pistols for carry purposes. Also a good 12 gauge to round it out.

With my latest on order I feel I'm done for a spell maybe forever. Any beyond that would likely be cowboy era just to admire them and their history.

How many you need is up to you - what do you need and what do you want. Just don't forget the ammo, cleaning supplies, etc..

All that said, the man to fear the most is the man that has only one gun that he has fully mastered,

I guess since I have no need then I am only fulfilling and adequate amount for my desire. Unfortunately I tend to desire guns I haven't owned and that is too many.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads