JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"No one that you can rely on / Long ago I gave up tryin' / No one on whom you can depend / And I got a home I gotta defend." — "Quick Fix", Fœtus

So, what about a thread about physical, practical preparations for one's home, surrounding (e.g., yard, acreage, outbuildings or whatever), and/or small businesses for those so employed. Things to kick around would be:

• Physical barriers.
  • Locks, bars, and related measures.
  • Alarm systems to detect breach, fire, et al.
  • Security cameras of various types.
  • Guard dogs or other animal friends.
  • Steps taken to make the home more defensive with arms.
  • Secure, but readily available, storage of firearms and ammunition.
  • Safes for valuables.
  • Wildfire preparations.
  • If part of one's preparedness, communication systems for contact with family, as part of a neighborhood watch, with emergency agencies, et al.
  • Or anything else on the topic.
What's worked for you? What hasn't? Future plans? Ideas you're kicking around?

Thanks for sharing.

-Reinforcing door jams with longer screws or metal jams.
-3M film on windows.
-Removing the "emergency" pull down lever for garage doors.
-Size 13 work boots at the front and rear door (even though I don't wear size 13).
-Signs for dogs (whether you have them or not).
-Motion lights on all 4 corners of the building.
-Remove any shrubs/natural growth that an individual could hide in/behind.
-Locking gates/fences.
-Cameras

1676933063085.png :rolleyes:

Strategically placed planters full of dirt make decent vehicle barriers, similar to the big rocks you see on the corner of busy residential streets where people speed. Bookshelves full of any printed materials are decent interior sandbags. I know it's not as sexy as @Stomper's dead bodies stacked in a corner.

Strategically placed planters full of dirt make decent vehicle barriers, similar to the big rocks you see on the corner of busy residential streets where people speed. Bookshelves full of any printed materials are decent interior sandbags. I know it's not as sexy as @Stomper's dead bodies stacked in a corner.
I prefer stacking the bodies in the walls.

568FD56D-0B15-4B98-9C4C-2322C8D35302.jpeg

-Reinforcing door jams with longer screws or metal jams.
-3M film on windows.
-Removing the "emergency" pull down lever for garage doors.
-Size 13 work boots at the front and rear door (even though I don't wear size 13).
-Signs for dogs (whether you have them or not).
-Motion lights on all 4 corners of the building.
-Remove any shrubs/natural growth that an individual could hide in/behind.
-Locking gates/fences.
-Cameras
Please explain the 3m film and boots. Thanks :)

3M film makes it harder to shatter / break in through windows. Won't stop a determined threat, but definitely makes them work at it.

Size 13 boots is to make the bad guy think a really big dude lives there. It's kinda like the "Property protected by Smith & Wesson" sign, but a bit more subtle. :s0108:

The 3M is basically a vinyl film (a lot like window tint) that create a serious barrier to someone trying to smash the window in. It's very difficult to do and takes a lot of time. The film is very expensive though.

The size 13 boots are simply an illusion. More than likely someone with size 13 feet is a big dude. The size the average person doesn't want to go hands on with.

Last Edited:
I like a double deadbolt high security lock on my doors-- you need a key to get into or out of the house

These locks weigh as much as my Desert Eagle

Last Edited:
Oversize boots on the porch be like

Now that I'm done thread crapping it's a very useful thread...

For surveillance a few things to keep in mind:
  • WiFi Jammers make it easy to maqke WiFi cameras and alarm systems worthless. Yes they are aiiegal just like the street drugs you can buy within a block of just about anywhere in Portland and only slightly harder to find. You can even find them under different names on eBay and Amazon. Yep, criminals know about them as wewll.
  • Unless you are monitoring the cameras they are mostly a "figure out how they did it" after the fact.
  • If your surveillance system requires outside connectivity (like a cloud service or cell notifications) it will probably fail when you need it the most.
  • Another vulnerability of cloud based security cameras is that they are prone to allows people other than you to view your cameras remotely. Ring is well known for this. An employee or someone who has defeated their security can case you using your own cameras.
  • If you don't remember to change the batteries in a WiFi camera there is a good chance some/most of them will be off line when you need to use them.
  • If the electricity is out then you need a backup generator to keep these types of systems available during an outage.
  • A UPS (or multiple ones) can prevent the system from going off line while the backup generator gets started and connected. Use a true sine wave model to prevent damage to sensitive equipment. I use rack mounted commercial models I buy used on eBay of Amazon renewed. They work just as good as the new ones and even with fresh batteries are substantially cheaper.
I really like the use of planters and/or decorative features as vehicle barriers. I also know a farmer who has retractable tire spikes to prevent late night theft.

I wouldn't rule out Concertina wire for use as needed during predicted "mostly peaceful" situations. Spools are available on eBay starting at under 70 bux. Just make sure you know how to handle it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top