JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As sort of a companion to this thread, how about one devoted to physical security for a NEW residence? Can be stick, modular, manufactured, et al. Whatever preparations suggested, however, would have to be realistic for such an abode.

If looking at constructing, or otherwise setting up, a new home, what security measures would you be putting in as being built or right after construction is complete?

Building? Hmm, I believe Jeff Cooper's home @ gunsite academy had simple reasonable defensive features he put in the build. IIRC.

Setting areas with windows which stepped out from the home allowing for better viewing outside, particularly near doorways & such.

Don't recall if the home was built with semi/full ballistic protection though. Stone, brick, cement that sort of thing.

I would imagine cement would be the way to go today, for a new build.

New home, new blind spots. I would be looking out windows from all angles and plotting out where I couldn't see, especially from a position of 'peeking out' the window, so I could plan lighting and camera instal around that.
I did meet a chap once that planed out where incoming fire might be coming from and installed in wall bullet proofing for him to hide behind and on the walls behind where the intruders would most likely be, but I never could figure out if he had reasonable concerns or had just watched too many Charles Bronson movies

For me camera's. Last two times I moved the first thing to be done was the camera system. Couple moves back we were going to be moving over the course of several weeks. Bought a cheap system with 4 camera's I went and set up at the new place before we even started moving in. Years later when we were getting ready to move where we are now did the same. Set up camera's before we even started moving. Came in handy right off the bat when one day one triggered that some guy was at the front door trying to get in. Showed it to the Wife who recognized the guy as a contractor the Co had hired. He had got wires crossed so was at the place wrong day.
2nd thing done once we actually started moving things in was alarm system set up. Both of these are real simple and cheap things anyone can afford and do themselves. After that its a mater of how much you want to spend and how "secure" you want to make the place.

One thing I have done for decades is opposing hinges on the front entrance.
You have the main door. Then a security or screen. The hinges should never be on the same side. Ever try kicking a door in at a angle?
Then as a added just put a heavy flower pot so the screen/security can not be opened all the way. Did security checks for years.
And saw people adding tons of money to locks, and alarms. Yet a force entry lock is only as good as when set. Many of the Locks to
stop a door opening are put up when ppl go to bed. But offset the hinges and simple, you now made it twice as hard.
Which sides you choose depend on door way obstacles. I have two large pots both sides plus this. Good luck not tripping over everything trying to get a kick or push. It would also be advised to make sure the hinges are heavy and large screws for added bonus.

Blind staircases with dropable tin with barbed wire so you pull a rope an the stairs becomes slick pokey nightmare. Bullet shields at waist height with shooting slits at prone position. Dummy walls with hidden hallways to be able to escape a cornered room an pop out saying "surprise mofo". Oh an no submitted blueprints or photos to the gov. Remember if your place has been sold before anyone can Google an see the layout of your home.

I haven't seen em here but traveling in the Mid-East and Israel I saw these retractable roll down metal blinds that covered the windows and were actually bulletproof. I didn't see how they were integrated into the building but they were demonstrated to me, rolling down and covering the windows and then rolling up and retracting so you didn't seem them. A brick, stone or log home with a metal roof would be down right impregnable.

As sort of a companion to this thread, how about one devoted to physical security for a NEW residence? Can be stick, modular, manufactured, et al. Whatever preparations suggested, however, would have to be realistic for such an abode.

If looking at constructing, or otherwise setting up, a new home, what security measures would you be putting in as being built or right after construction is complete?
My "plan" is to build after I buy some land.

ICF, earth bermed maybe - into the side of a hill/etc. - but not an earth covered roof. Three sides would be earth bermed. Front would be reinforced concrete with a stone (real stone) facade (for bullet resistance). Windows would have bullet resistant film applied and have steel shutters inside (capable of being shut from inside) - maybe with rifle slots.

Roof might be steel girder/truss, and the sheeting/etc. would be insulated (on one side) sheet metal (fire resistance).

I haven't seen em here but traveling in the Mid-East and Israel I saw these retractable roll down metal blinds that covered the windows and were actually bulletproof. I didn't see how they were integrated into the building but they were demonstrated to me, rolling down and covering the windows and then rolling up and retracting so you didn't seem them. A brick, stone or log home with a metal roof would be down right impregnable.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top