JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm a snob for older firearms but people get to like what they like. It doesn't effect me that you like something different. I had an AR at one point and I liked the heck out of it even though I like my Mauser more.

All personal preference

I didnt read the whole thread, so this might have been said, but I like most all types of guns. The problem is that levers, bolt guns and wheel guns have taken a back seat to semi autos because of the neverending ban talk. The more they push, the more interest I have in them. Hopefully the imbalance in my collection will be remedied soon.

My first handgun was a P89. I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for P-series guns.

The Hi-Point carbine? There's really no good excuse for that one. :D

Same here. My first ever semi-auto pistol was a Ruger P89. Had it for many years. Sold it, bought another, sold that one too. Had a P91 for a while as well. I do love the gun, it's just a bit too big to be practical for much, though for a time, I actually carried that gun - though I won't say how because I'll never hear the end of it. But I will always love the P series.

Honestly, old, new, plastic, wood, metal, I don't really care. There are some styles/designs that I don't care for, but I do just love guns - the engineering, the style, the artistry, the mechanics/operation - it's all fascinating to me. They are as much a work of art and engineering as they are a practical, fun and, at times, very necessary tool.

Does @Joe Link still own that Hi Point?!!!:rolleyes::D

You know it!

:s0133:

That dollar-bill wrapped Hi Point ($120) to my Nighthawk Custom ($3,000) and everything in between, I own, shoot, and love many different guns simply because I find them interesting for one reason or another. While I've had excellent reliability out of every gun I own, if my life depended on it I'd reach for my Colt 6920 and my Glock 19 first. I always recommend new shooters purchase their 'tools' they can rely on before their novelty items, but I'll never judge someone for enjoying the variety of this hobby :)

Bought my first AR in 1996. Had 3 choices....Colt, Bushmaster and Olympic.

I went with Bushmaster. No furniture, no Magpul, keymod or M-Lock options. Triggers, billet receivers or stainless steel barrels? Back then we never heard of them. And paid more for a basic A2 profile rifle than most pay for "tacticool" these days. :)

My first AR was a Bushmaster V-Match carbine in 1999. Bought it for the impending Y2K meltdown. Paid like $900 for it.

Still have it, but it was transformed into a tactical zombie killer a few years ago. Now it's just a wall hanger and doesn't get shot. Heck, I bet it has less than 200 rounds through it.

My dad is a very traditional guy and has never owned or shot an AR, despite having owned a chain of gun shops. He hates them.

He's a former vietnam era Marine Corps sniper who claims he was Carlos Hathcock's bunkmate in sniper school. Said the Army ran it back then. Also said he didn't like Carlos because he never kept his mouth shut and was always getting into trouble.

All I know is that he pretty much hates all of my guns. My Glocks, M&Ps, ARs, and anything with synthetic stocks are a no-go for him.

Oh well. He can still out shoot me at 75yrs old or so. I'll inherit all of his guns in a few years or so and will cherish them. I can appreciate the beauty of a custom Sharps rifle; I just am not going to spend $5k on a rifle...

He let me use one of his for a 1000yd BPCR match in Phoenix one year...

100_0166 - Copy.JPG

I prefer Mil Sup fire arms (WWII mostly), but I have modern firearms as well and a few in between. You like AR platforms? That 's cool. You prefer Muzzle Loaders, also cool. I have a Hi Point .40s&W It is a fun gun, Shot an inch and a half group at 25 yards brand new out of the box. You get to like what you like and so do I. (Yes I can take a ribbing about my choices) My Idea is throwing lead down range is enjoyable, I will eventually get a muzzle Loader as it interests me more now than it used to. it is all good. with me.

I would love a old Sharps rifle!!! Unfortunately I will never be able to afford one! :(

Me neither!

He has one rifle that he paid a ton of money to rescue.

The story is that back in 1918, some guy found the old rifle in Wyoming, wrapped in a buffalo hide and hidden in an old hollowed out tree off of a game trail.

The guy that found it, brought it home and stuck it in his shop, meaning to fix it up someday. That guy eventually moved and stuck it in an attic. His grandson found it when he died and sold it to my dad who was only able to rescue the action. Had to have most everything else replaced.

He uses it in his BPCR matches.

Not sure if it's the one below or the one I'm holding in the prior photo...
100_0163.JPG

100_0164.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're a person who likes to customize, accessorize, or bling out your weapons you will probably be better off with newer weapon platforms, because you will catch all kinds of grief if you start messing around with the classics. No one likes a bubba.

Last Edited:
I'm a total mall ninja....

I try to vanish, escape, and evade every time my wife tries to drag me into a clothing store or the shoe/purse section at Nordstrom's. Any married and/or attached guy that claims to not have oper8'd out of Bed, Bath, and Beyond is a total liar ;)

Mall Ninja/Oper8r actions:
  1. Calling in a chairstrike: Tell your wife you have to check 'work email', and then proceed to claim the couch by the changing room to watch your favorite gun videos or read NWFA
  2. Mall Hand-to-Hand: Fend off your wife's attempt to hand you a shirt/jacket to try on, with the excuse that you are OWB'ing your full size pistol
  3. Purse Post: All real mall oper8ors refuse to hold/carry a purse, even if the strap is long enough for you to arrange it as a chest rig. It is acceptable to stand post on said purse, while reciting your first general order. It is also acceptable to steal any gum from the purse you are guarding.

Last Edited:
because you will catch all kinds of grief if you start messing around with the classics.

Before all the background check nonsense , I used to fairly often , buy , fix up / tinker with , sell and trade , older .22 rifles and shotguns , that needed a little TLC to look and run good.
Doing this was a great way to learn:
A lot about guns and how they work ...
That I really didn't want to go to school to be a Gunsmith...
Just what my limits are when working on firearms...

It was also a fun hobby and I got to meet some cool folks and have chance to see and shoot a variety of different guns .

These guns and the reference books to help you out , are still out there to be found...albeit a bit more expensive now , with BGC fees and such....but it is a good way to get your feet wet , before tackling that older Mauser that needs work....
Andy

Naturally. That's why I said "And the outright junk is to be avoided like any other worthless tools." My point is much like @Stomper's; I know what I find interesting and/or what works for me and, candidly, don't give a rip what others think of the collection.

True. Painting every AR-15 owner as a "mall ninja" is asinine. If for no other reason of how widespread the usage of said platform is these days.

I don't know how to respond to this thread without hurting peoples feelings, but always feel honesty is the best policy. Take it how you guys want. I'll start out by agreeing with the above post that says we shouldn't paint every AR15 owner as a "mall ninja". However, from what I've seen from much of the AR crowd around here is most of them are on welfare and doing meth. These types of "shooters" leave garbage in our national forests and have no respect for anything or anyone. This is not all AR15 owners, but quite a few I've came into contact with out in the woods at my favorite shooting spots. I've actually told people they need to pick up their garbage when they are done, "I'm tired of seeing this place getting messed up"!! People usually don't argue with me, and there is a time to put your foot down. There's a new generation of shooter out there and their primary weapon of choice out there is, yeah you guessed it, the AR15. They leave their brass lay all around everywhere, which in the end someone will come along and pick it up, but it's still being an irresponsible gun owner and not a very good steward of the land. OP, I wouldn't get so offended by those of us that like and appreciate fine old weapons either. By pointing your finger at us, its like you are pointing those types out and doing exactly what you don't like about people ridiculing your precious AR. Do I have AR's, yes, do I get offended if someone says a lot of them are "mall ninja's" or combat comando wannabees? NO. Not one bit. We are gun owners, whether we own glocks, 3rd gen smiths, 1911's, Pre 64 winchester model 70's or AR15's. If we are like minded and respect others and the land, I have absolutely no problem with you...

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads