JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am probably a bit too tacticool. However, I have a soft spot for cold war era and WWI and WWII guns. I definitely don't do meth and I leave the forest with a bag more of trash then I started with and lots more brass. I usually shoot at ranges though.

I own milsurps, ars, aks, new guns, old guns long guns, short guns, etc. The one commonality is they're all cheap guns. I'm a cheap dastard. But I still enjoy them. The most I ever paid for a gun was $750 for a new Colt AR OEM 1. Bought that preelection, I should have waited. Luckily I was able to trade it here for an almost new Sig p226 which I never would have bought otherwise. I like variety so cheap and numerous beats quality and few in my book.

45A5105C-10E3-487D-AF7C-C7A35FF7C9B4.jpeg The aspect of the "mall ninja" type that I don't like is the posturing. Instead of actually earning the status of a soldier or marine, with all of the sacrifice and hardship that entails, or even more, serving in combat, the mall ninja type, as I define the group, plays dress up and pretends to be combat qualified. There is also a narcissistic "look at me" aspect to it that turns me off. Not simply wearing TA-50 at the range for utility (handy mag pouches) or owning an AR, but trying to show off or pretend to be something they aren't. That's the part that turns me off. I own an AR, but don't play tactical dress up with a helmet and level IV plates. One of the benefits of getting out of the military was the ability to wear a soft cap to the range instead of a Kevlar, I don't need to voluntarily wear one.

I have friends who are still in, who are overseas right now in active combat. Some have recovered from OEF gunshot wounds and are back in the fight after overcoming great adversity. Seeing adults post pictures of themselves pretending to be soldiers is an affront to those who joined the military and honestly possess those skills and fortitude.

It does crack me up when I read stuff like "If isn't 30 cal, wood and steel it isn't real" or "9mm sucks and 45acp rule" or "Glocks <or insert polymer frame pistol> is garbage and 1911 is the best thing ever". Whatever.

Dog piling:

Term used when someone with little or no experience jump in with others online to judge something.

Also a great term for this thread.

Lots of folks dog pile on things online. Taurus, Hi Point, 1911s, Glocks, AR15s, Springfield, etc etc.

I don't know how to respond to this thread without hurting peoples feelings, but always feel honesty is the best policy. Take it how you guys want. I'll start out by agreeing with the above post that says we shouldn't paint every AR15 owner as a "mall ninja". However, from what I've seen from much of the AR crowd around here is most of them are on welfare and doing meth. These types of "shooters" leave garbage in our national forests and have no respect for anything or anyone. This is not all AR15 owners, but quite a few I've came into contact with out in the woods at my favorite shooting spots. I've actually told people they need to pick up their garbage when they are done, "I'm tired of seeing this place getting messed up"!! People usually don't argue with me, and there is a time to put your foot down. There's a new generation of shooter out there and their primary weapon of choice out there is, yeah you guessed it, the AR15. They leave their brass lay all around everywhere, which in the end someone will come along and pick it up, but it's still being an irresponsible gun owner and not a very good steward of the land. OP, I wouldn't get so offended by those of us that like and appreciate fine old weapons either. By pointing your finger at us, its like you are pointing those types out and doing exactly what you don't like about people ridiculing your precious AR. Do I have AR's, yes, do I get offended if someone says a lot of them are "mall ninja's" or combat comando wannabees? NO. Not one bit. We are gun owners, whether we own glocks, 3rd gen smiths, 1911's, Pre 64 winchester model 70's or AR15's. If we are like minded and respect others and the land, I have absolutely no problem with you...

Hmmm, where did I point fingers? And at who? Maybe you should re-read my OP.........

Not really. But I find it so funny that some people think only "true gun enthusiasts" MUST like 1903's or M1's or muzzle loaders or flint locks. Like it's a "cool kid" club and any Glock or AR owner need not apply.

I happen to like ALL guns, except Hi-Points and Kel-Tecs. That's pretty much common sense there. But just because I like black rifles and modular weapon systems doesn't mean I'm a "mall ninja" or a wannabe. It just means I like what I like. So to those that rant and rave about how AR's are only owned by posers or Glocks are just tupperware garbage, please consider that these are all just firearms and the owners of them are on the same side as you. We can also send more lead downrange faster and reload easier, generally speaking.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

I'm gonna try to understand the spin here.

First, I probably own more black and plastic guns than the average person. And I shoot them often. But because I still enjoy accuracy over how fast I can empty a magazine or how many bandoliers I can carry of little tiny varmint rounds, and because I really enjoy the beauty of some firearms over others, somehow I'm the Fudd. The younger folks that build AR's from parts and kits are now the experts, and because I'm an old man, I know very little. I stumbled on a group chat here once, and I learned a quick lesson. When the folks on the chat asked what I shoot, boy was I surprised to hear how inferior my choices are.

So, I've been pleased to know that there are many younger folks getting into shooting. And I support them, regardless of what their weapons of choice are. I would like to think maybe they'd get politically motivated, and help me to preserve our gun Rights, but instead, fingers are pointed at me and others like me, as the enemy, and somehow I'm to blame for our eroding 2A Rights.

It's not a two way street, and I've learned that lesson. The cultural and generational gap widens. I let the new experts go their way, and I'll continue to do my own thing. If any of them want to cross the aisle, so to speak, and share experiences, both ways, I'm there to share.

But now, to hear that I, and others like me have pushed younger shooters aside, or pushed shooters with different preferences aside, is a cop out, when we've given the newer shooters the distance and space from the old codgers that they wanted.

I should be used to this, as I have two kids that one day they decided the old man doesn't know much.:D

Last Edited:
@WAYNO I didn't imply that you or anyone else is pushing shooters aside. What I meant was that when people get on here or out in "public" and talk about how polymer guns are junk and if it's not a 1911 or an M1 then it's not a "real gun". I have heard it many times, and read it here at NWFA. As recently as yesterday when a member who is now on a permanent vacation basically called all AR owners wannabe pansies (his vacation was NOT from that comment). That divisiveness inside our own group is more what I was going after, although sometimes the message gets lost in the keystrokes. I did mention Hi-Point and Kel-Tec, not because they are plastic or anything but merely because they are poorly engineered firearms and I have a problem with companies that release lazy products.

A gun is what it is.
Used with respect, maintained properly, kept safe and secure as possible from damage and properly fed with quality ammo ... it will always be what it was made to be, and do what it was supposed to do. I imagine there are quite a few cheaply made, ugly (to eyes of the day) and questionably engineered guns that have survived the centuries to still function as they were designed. The single shot matchlock "key-gun" comes to mind.
A matchlock won't become an MSR any more than a buggy will become a BMW.

Over time a "person", on the other hand, is a crapshoot and, "people" in theory, could improve ... we should eventually know, (although the current prognosis isn't all that promising).

Last Edited:
Truth be known, as much as I give the Glock boys allot of crap the reality is most modern firearm operate they should, often times more then not the issue is ammo, not the firearm.
The only issue I have with tacticool is how the media and idiots perceive it.
Hunting rifles in general pack a whole lot more punch, but cause the AR kinda thing gets attention it
is therefore demonized. Lets see a .223 vs one of @AndyinEverson muskets, hmmm which one is most likely more lethal. Yes you can go pick one off the shelf, mail order and buy it like you would a can of soup.

Ya.........any antis reading, yep thats how stupid the lefties are when it comes to Truth.

@Kruel J I know exactly where you are coming from and, as you know, left this site for quite some time because of it. People want to grow stagnant, far out, I don't need to watch. And for the record, I'm no spring chicken, have had many wood and steel guns, actually they are mostly what I'd buy today, but that's also because I made a point to have all the ARs, AKs and Glocks I'll ever need.

One suggestion for those of us who own older but still appreciated firearms is to give them preventive maintenance. A thorough cleaning, inspection for worn parts, cracks, weak springs, and the like. I don't have much experience maintaining or issue spotting on 1911's, so I am taking Cerebus' 1911 class in March.

I enjoy the modularity, parts availability, and how much you can customize and personalize AR platform rifles. And just the fact we can build/assemble them ourselves without a lot of tools necessary and the parts being interchangeable most of the time. Pretty nice!

Heck if a part breaks or wears out, it's not a big deal to replace it on an AR platform either and there are so many sources and choices for replacement parts. Part of why I own so many of them. Fun to build and fun to shoot at the range.

Everyone has their preferences and tastes in firearms though. Some people couldn't be bothered to build or take apart a gun and want it pre-built ready to shoot. And that's fine. Nothing wrong with that at all. Others like me enjoy putting something together from a bunch of parts sourced from various places, and maybe a little machine work (80% lowers.)

However I love and appreciate other firearms as well. my RPK variant shotgun, my over/under shotgun, 1911 pistol, P22 pistol, the lever action i want to get, the 03-a3 I want to get lol. I'm sure there will be many more wants in my future as well.

@Kruel J I know exactly where you are coming from and, as you know, left this site for quite some time because of it. People want to grow stagnant, far out, I don't need to watch. And for the record, I'm no spring chicken, have had many wood and steel guns, actually they are mostly what I'd buy today, but that's also because I made a point to have all the ARs, AKs and Glocks I'll ever need.

I get that. I'm no kid either, and I LOVE wood and steel. I also like polymer and red dots. :)

View attachment 547752 The aspect of the "mall ninja" type that I don't like is the posturing. Instead of actually earning the status of a soldier or marine, with all of the sacrifice and hardship that entails, or even more, serving in combat, the mall ninja type, as I define the group, plays dress up and pretends to be combat qualified. There is also a narcissistic "look at me" aspect to it that turns me off. Not simply wearing TA-50 at the range for utility (handy mag pouches) or owning an AR, but trying to show off or pretend to be something they aren't. That's the part that turns me off. I own an AR, but don't play tactical dress up with a helmet and level IV plates. One of the benefits of getting out of the military was the ability to wear a soft cap to the range instead of a Kevlar, I don't need to voluntarily wear one.

I have friends who are still in, who are overseas right now in active combat. Some have recovered from OEF gunshot wounds and are back in the fight after overcoming great adversity. Seeing adults post pictures of themselves pretending to be soldiers is an affront to those who joined the military and honestly possess those skills and fortitude.

I resemble this remark.

Some of your critisms are on point. Some of it is Ken Barbie doll for men. However the gear is useful, and I do my best to train hard in it. Am I a soldier, or as tough as those that have served in active combat? Nope, and wouldn't pretend to be(I hope, maybe in times past I have Gotten too cocky). I am a citizen though, and I believe it is my duty to be prepared to serve in a militia type capacity, as well as being a everyday EDC CCwer.

All that being said, basic army training is fairly poor from what I have been told, so the resverse is also a true. A shooter is a shooter, regardless of past experiences.

Also, I only wear gear when in a class or innawoods, not to sit at a bench....

Last Edited:
One suggestion for those of us who own older but still appreciated firearms is to give them preventive maintenance. A thorough cleaning, inspection for worn parts, cracks, weak springs, and the like. I don't have much experience maintaining or issue spotting on 1911's, so I am taking Cerebus' 1911 class in March.

Awesome, I'm sure you'll learn a lot! :)

I resemble this remark.

Some of your critisms are on point. Some of it is Ken Barbie doll for men. However the gear is useful, and I do my best to train hard in it. Am I a soldier, or as tough as those that have served in active combat? Nope, and wouldn't pretend to be(I hope, maybe in times past I have Gotten too cocky). I am a citizen though, and I believe it is my duty to be prepared to serve in a militia type capacity, as well as being a everyday EDC CCwer.

All that being said, basic army training is fairly poor from what I have been told, so the reserse is also a true. A shooter is a shooter, regardless of past experiences.

Also, I only wear gear when in a class or innawoods, not to sit at a bench....
Every able body man is a soldier in homeland defense foreign and domestic . It's wise and recommended to have gear and train in it as much as possible to be proficient for the day that hopefully never comes . Motorcycle racers don't criticize normal people for wearing a helmet, it's a dooms day provision and if you need it's nice to know how to use it , hope you never need it .

Some of the gun brands I own: Browning, Glock, Colt, Ruger, Smith and Wesson, Savage, Mossberg, Keltec and Hi-Point.

The Keltec is the P-32./32 caliber - never fails to go bang. For a long time it was my kayaking gun, I kept in a pelican case where I could if/when necessary have it out in seconds, when I would solo paddle in some very remote places where I would occasionally come across poachers who were none to friendly. This little semi-auto weighs something 6 ounces and if I recall correctly holds 7 +1 along with a loaded spare mag in the Pelican case too, and was one of my 'any gun is better than no gun' guns. Inexpensive, easy to carry in a 16' kayak.

The High-Point is a 9mm carbine. Ugly as sin, but always, always goes bang and accurately too. I estimate I've put roughly about a 1000 rounds downrange through it. Not a single ftf or fte. It's my truck gun. Only holds 10+1, but I have added an attachment that holds 2 spare, fully loaded magazines to it's stock.

Why do I go into detail regarding these highly criticized gun brands?

They're inexpensive and can be trusted to go bang.

Do I trust all brands: No, Taurus is one to fail more often than most, but they too have their advocates, I'm just not one of em...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top