JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm planning a gun purchase and some accessories to go along with it (optic, stock, trigger kit, magazines). Normally I would buy the gun and then add accessories as time went on, but this hasn't always turned out well. I have a few guns with planned upgrades that I never seem to get around to performing.

Anyhow, recently I've been purchasing accessories for guns I don't yet own with plans on buying the gun. Example: when M&P 9 magazines came back on the market a few months ago I bought some, even though at the time I didn't own any M&P's; I ended up buying one later.

For this current build I found a great deal on the optic I wanted and ordered it, even though I don't yet have the gun. The stock I want isn't made until I order it, which means it's 2-3 weeks out with shipping so I'll probably order that next. Then I will probably order the gun and some extra magazines all at the same time.

What do you do? Do you purchase a gun and add accessories later, purchase accessories before you get the gun or just save up and drop the whole wad of cash at once?

I usually change my mind a few times before actually settling down on a gun, so had I purchased the accessories first, I'd have the wrong magazines, etc. That said, if you're positive on the gun, then why not buy if the accessories are of short supply?

I would try to rent/ borrow the firearms you are interested in and shoot them to see if they are even what you want. When you find what you want; shoot it as is for a bit. You will figure out it's short comings and what you need and don't need pretty quick.

The 1st 45-70 I purchased was because I had come across around 500 rnds. Yes, it's that bad! We've all done it though,, right?:s0090:

I don't really know which way to go with that question Modeler? I've been guilty of buying out of passion, luck, need and want, and not all at the same time!
Ya live once my friend.

I'm trying to buy out of planned, (perceived) need instead of passion or impulse. And having accessories for a specific gun will make me more likely to buy the gun, I think. :D

Hmmm, isn't that like buying a lift kit for a truck before buying the truck? I guess I would buy the gun first as accessories don't return fire. And personally I buy the gun, then figure out how I want to trick it out. Typically if I don't like the gun out-of-the-box there aren't enough accessories out there to make me like it more. :)

Cart before the horse?
I buy the firearm first put it in yiur hands get your platform and do research on the accessories. I've gone through so many accessories, but my platform stays the same.

You can't shoot an optic!

Gun first. I have done the same thing before, have my mind set on a gun, ordering accessories for it because of a killer sale price, then changing my mind on the gun before I get the stuff I ordered. You can usually sell a gun for what you pay for it, but you will always lose money on parts and accessories, even if new. On the other hand, I once bought an $800 gun because I had a $12 case laying around that was too long for any of my rifles. My wife didn't understand my logic, but it made sense to me.

Buy the gun first!

If it turns out to be less than what you wanted, buy another one and donate the first one to my collection...

I have done both but what I try to do is have something in mind and as the great deals come I get them what ever order they come. Plus as you buy accessories you might find cooler or better ones at better prices. So it really doesnt matter as long as you are happy in the end.

I tend to always jump on generic things like optics if I have the cash and find a good deal. But other stuff like stocks and triggers I would personally wait till I have the gun in hand.

What happens when you have that stock and trigger, and pick up another gun that is just leaps and bounds above the one you were intent on?

Does the fact that you're asking here for opinions about the order of your acquisitions betray some underlying uncertainty?

On the other hand, if you're just barreling along toward a sure thing, there's no harm then is there?

However... is the weapon commonly available? I'd hate to go buy all the extras and then find out the only one left had been scarfed up - last month - with no more oozing through the supply pipe.

I have made more than a few purchases where I was absolutely sure it was what I wanted only to realize that it didn't work for me for some reason.

When you look at all the "package deals" in the classifieds you'll see it's a common theme. 100 rounds fired but yet they bought three holsters and 6 extra magazines. Now they're trying sell a 500 gun used for $750.

Just buy what you want, shoot it for 1000 rounds minimum, the.n if you really are going to keep it you can start adding stuff to the pile.

I spent over $1k on accessories for a gun I didn't posses. It was in NFA jail. I had to wait 11 months to actually own it.

I generally own the gun before I buy accessories specific to that gun. I do buy good deals on gun stuff when I find them.

Just like a stock 4x4 truck I want to see how it does off-road. I find out the suspensions is limited, I upgrade, I get stuck, I buy a locker. I get high centered I buy bigger tires etc etc. to me something always needs to be tried out how the manufactures intended it to be...only then do I upgrade

In the old days, you'd buy your revolver, .357 or .44 magnum, a box of factory loads and a ten dollar holster (leather, often a Lawrence).. then you'd probably wind up buying some loading gear (press, dies, bullet mold, yadda and components), and then perhaps some speedloaders. life was/is good

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top