JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For the most part, it's best to avoid buying extra mags, holsters, sights, optics, etc. until you know you like the firearm and that it's going to be a keeper.

Unless there is a sale you cannot pass up on:
Mags, ammo or optics are secondary to a firearm.
(I.e, steel surplus AK mags for 6-10 a pop on a close out sale)
**Id get the firearm first.
Then mags/ammo
(I usually get mags first b4 ammo)
Then optics and finally all the doodads and gizmos.
Your firearm SHOULD come with a set of sights.. If it doesn't, make sure you're getting a killer deal, second unless its an C&R it SHOULD come with mags, a minimum of two unless you're getting a killer deal.

Right now is the time to buy mags and ammo. Prices are back down and those rotten politicians are foaming at the mouth for another AWB.. So I keep buying mags and ammo with every paycheck. Better off prepared, if anything you can resell. Mags and ammo are always worth money.

As for the doodads.. Most are useless.. Levers, slip on grips, zombie anything, extra rails, lights lasers, sling loops, multiple grip/stock inserts.. Etc.. All those will still be around after a ban..
Mags, possibly ammo and muzzle devices might not.. The gun grabbers use the same play book so we know whats to come. Not fear mongering, just being practical.

I will say it depends on the firearm, long gun or a hand gun. If its optics, id get that before a gun if there was a deal to be had as they can be moved from firearm to firearm.

Your firearm SHOULD come with a set of sights.. If it doesn't, make sure you're getting a killer deal, second unless its an C&R it SHOULD come with mags, a minimum of two unless you're getting a killer deal.

Many guns don't come with sights, like those meant to be used with optics.

Also, I work at a gun shop. Everything I get is a killer deal :p

Many guns don't come with sights, like those meant to be used with optics.

Also, I work at a gun shop. Everything I get is a killer deal :p
Its hard to be vague and generalize a few categories. I was assuming the most common and accessorizable firearm would be an AR and that was the firearm in question.. :p

I am confused by the logic. If you have guns you never get around to getting accessories for what makes you think you will get around to getting a gun since you have accessories for it? Procrastination is procrastination and what will change?

Seems more like you are trying to convince yourself to get something and more or less forcing yourself into a decision. But you still may not like a gun and then lose money on it AND accessories. Horse BEFORE the cart. One has a purpose by itself. One doesn't so much.

I am confused by the logic. If you have guns you never get around to getting accessories for what makes you think you will get around to getting a gun since you have accessories for it? Procrastination is procrastination and what will change?

Seems more like you are trying to convince yourself to get something and more or less forcing yourself into a decision. But you still may not like a gun and then lose money on it AND accessories. Horse BEFORE the cart. One has a purpose by itself. One doesn't so much.

Totally agree. Horse before the cart. In most cases around here, test driving a firearm is non-existent. Unless you have a friend, not to many range/shops have their inventory to test fire (man I miss the south). Anyways, i have bought way to many guns only to sell them a couple weeks later. When you sell the gun, nobody cares how much stuff you put on it, or how custom it is, because custom is to your standards, not mine, your going to take a huge loss on the extras you spent to make it your gun. Gun first, shoot it, then add your flair

Its hard to be vague and generalize a few categories. I was assuming the most common and accessorizable firearm would be an AR and that was the firearm in question.. :p

Yeah, I guess I should say what my specific project is....

It's a Savage FV-SR, a bolt action .22 with a threaded barrel. All the .22's I have with threaded barrels are semi-automatics, and I'd like to be able to shoot without any noise from the action. The stocks are almost universally derided as complete bubblegum, and the best replacement sounds like a Boyds Tacticool stock (don't let the name deter you, it's a laminated wooden stock). In fact, that's the stock that comes with the higher-end Savage TRR-SR.

The scope (which should be here Tuesday) is a Mueller APV.

I've always bought the gun first, but I might jump on a good deal on something if I was reasonably sure I'd buy the gun for.
Or, if I had a class lll in the works I might get some accessories to appease my anticipation.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top