JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am 6'6" tall and 260# and I fit into my Toyota pickup ok - but just ok. It is a supercab so the seat is all the way back. My Dodge is more comfortable. My Scout had horrible semi-bench seats. My Datsun:

View attachment 469007

Had a horrible bench seat.

My Bronco II had decent seats, but it was unreliable; every year something electronic went wrong with it and cost me $500 to $1000. Then the transmission went out, got a rebuilt and that went out 40K miles later. When it worked it was fine, but I eventually got to where I did not trust it.
As with everything, there's positives and negatives. I'm a function over form type by nature so reliability wins every time.

That's a fresh looking datsun btw.

I had a Mercedes Sprinter as part of my fire company, we beat the living snot out of the thing, and it held up better then we thought it would, got damn good milege too! If it wasn' so beat, and worn out, I would have kept it and used it as my daily driver! It was very comfortable to drive long distances, nice and quiet, and would pull a large heavy trailer at above the speed limit during emergency response! That type of work is very hard on any equipment and is a testament to how well built these are! I think @Stomper has one as well, I'm sure he can tell you how he likes it! :)

After 10yrs of driving it everyday, my company just got rid of it and got me a spankin' new Ford Transit (truck chassis) with a custom service box with the exterior locker-doors... power "everything", can stream Bluetooth music, hands-free cell phone, etc, etc.

there would be no vehicular travel of any significant distance. stay at home, hope you picked a good home. like argonaut said.

More or less - yes. That is what I plan to do - once my family gets to my home. My SHTF vehicles are for that purpose; getting home and getting my family to my home. Beyond that, I would only go into town maybe once a month if I could. I won't be commuting daily because I won't have a job at that point. So I am not worried about tires wearing out, other parts wearing out, fuel/etc.

As with everything, there's positives and negatives. I'm a function over form type by nature so reliability wins every time.

That's a fresh looking datsun btw.

I converted it to 4WD back in the days when 4x4 mini-trucks were rare - used Jeep parts, Dana 44 front and rear, Dana 20 Xfer case, stock engine and transmission. Underpowered on the road, but had enough to get around off-road. Never got around to doing the suspension right. I bought a stock Scout for $500 that was better than the Datsun so I sold the Datsun after spending a lot of money on it.

I use 4WD all the time. I use AWD to get to and from work in the winter. It is not uncommon for me to come across a tree or large branch across the road. Sometimes I have to drive off the road to get around it - usually I can turn around and get out the other way, but if it is across my private road then I have to deal with it directly.

I mostly used the 4x4s on my property dealing with property work. If SHTF then they I would be using them for cutting up fallen trees for firewood.

I grew up in SW Idaho Outback learning how far/where/when 2WD could be counted on. Too poor then to afford 4x4....until my high school buddy came up with the first 45 Willys surplus rig...then the job was learning how far to be willing to walk back because the dern thing really DID break down beyond mere vice grips & hammer repairs...

I can't recall even once we got stuck BECAUSE of 4x4 traction.

I got my big truck stuck 50 feet from my deck; I was trying to unload firewood onto the deck and was trying to get it lined up right and it sunk into the mud (it was late winter/early spring) and was sitting on the under-carriage in the mud for over a month until things dried out enough that I could drive it out. I now have a winch for it, but I need to get a hitch mount on the front to hold the winch. With a really long wheelbase, street tires and all that weight, it isn't hard to get it stuck when it has been raining all winter - I get twice the rain that the valley gets and the ground soaks it up.

one of the notable times we got stuck circa 1964 was in a 56 Ford 2 door sedan, out checking the uncountable desert trails in the sagebrush, not far from the Idaho Guard tank maneuvers training grounds. Lots of tortuous but mild sandy/gravely old tracks out there, came around a corner & confronted (at about 40 mph) a 50' wide (just over twice length of the Ford) slough, with choice of slamming on brakes and probably sinking front end into the mud, or flooring it....so my buddy floored it....

we made it thru the deep part easily, splashing a hole thru the stream....and managed to smack/high center on the far rise exiting the 'water feature'. Got front end out far enough could almost open door totally above the surface, but stepping out into maybe mid-shin high water. So the Ford sat there like a beached guppy, tail pipe burbling just under the surface, and solid frame plant into the sand.

Long before cell phones, a bit of a hike thru desert to hitch a ride to his dad's shop, where we borrowed a monster Cab Over 1950 Ford 18' flat bed and bounced our way out to 'the Pit'....easy recovery all in all. Months later the water was gone & we managed to easily make the run thru the same terrain without the splash. Wasn't nearly as thrilling.

bur1.jpg

I would love to think that my '96 locked and armored Land Cruiser would be the perfect SHTF vehicle, but my realistic range is 125-250 miles on a full 24gal tank. That is a joke and you couldnt haul enough gas to make it a viable option once fuel became scarce.

Honestly the best option for SHTF would be a bike you can ride all day long with a kid hauler trailer. Followed by a dirt bike. Followed by something that gets epic gas milage.

I would love to think that my '96 locked and armored Land Cruiser would be the perfect SHTF vehicle, but my realistic range is 125-250 miles on a full 24gal tank. That is a joke and you couldnt haul enough gas to make it a viable option once fuel became scarce.

Honestly the best option for SHTF would be a bike you can ride all day long with a kid hauler trailer. Followed by a dirt bike. Followed by something that gets epic gas milage.
Didnt there exist a diesel swap conversion kit for the Land Rovers?

Yes........but he has a rice burner, not a Rover.
My mistake. Actually, if its a Toyota... theres diesels for them also right?

Anyways, basic energy/cost/capacity here.

Gotta give something up to gain something, right?

Cargo carrying capacity

Fuel economy

Off road capability

Parts sources and access

Locations/trails where can go

No matter the mode of transportation or method of carrying gear, it all comes down to... how far, how long, and how hungry can you go

Someone did a CJ2A or CJ3 or M38 with a Kubota turbo diesel.. reported that with the 3 speed manual and original gearing, they were able to get 31mpg in Denver, Colorado with 4x4 capacity :eek:
Those vehicles are so small.........and again, an oriental Diesel........how are you going to keep it running.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top