JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There are many good people (even in western Oregon) that won't care if they know you or not.......when people are in need, they will come to you assistance, just like you would. As much time we spend bemoaning the gutter people in our world, there are still more good honest hard working people that will go to extremes helping someone in need. When I saw the photos of Texans lined up with boats on trailers and high mobility vehicles moving towards the flood ravaged areas it made me extremely proud and when the government got out of there way and allowed it, that was incredible. If I wasn't so content in Idaho, that is a place I could live. Government has no power compared with the average American. Even the military has never won a war without calling on the typical American working person to arms. That is our strength as a country and society.

I would say that a good 90% of people are good, of that 90% maybe 60 would lend a brother a hand.
I will and still help people, but I am pretty jaded as well where I once was not. Not sure why I help people been screwed allot by people mostly because they were in a place one should assume trust can be found such as Church, Clubs and Family all who have screwed me for thousands yet I think that has helped me Identify the Bullbubblegumzers with out tilting my own hand. To digress there may come a time you will have to ask or give help it can be touchy especially being the fact in SHTF situation many will be armed but that help you give may solidify a needed bond for survival. Society doesn't help either women look at men crosseyes now days due to the media projecting every man is a pedophile or rapist, so if SHTF it would be hard for some to get the help they need due to how society has framed many people. That said use caution and carry a big stick, air on the side of caution not paranoia.

Last Edited:
A bicycle or a cart or something similar would work very well; even if just to pull supplies at walking pace.
Think there was a sort of travois like backpack with single wheel, and it was used to pull 100lbs of stuff easily, with most of the weight split between hips and the wheel, much like how a wheelbarrow makes moving heavy stuff easier.

l 85578169eff67fe1ffff83aeffffe417.jpg

http://dixonrollerpack.com

There are a number of variations on this.

Honestly, thats why I have a bicycle to use just in case roads are gridlocked, or vehicles unusable. Even though being a cyclist could make one a target, its not as much as anyone else on a motor vehicle.

Granted; until such an event occurs, its fine to use standard vehicles, train with them and with alternative modes of transportation, get fit and trained with trail walking or cycling to places.

A folding bicycle, a folding electric bicycle, a bicycle with a trailer, a bicycle with a pusher trailer (the trailer is powered and pushes the bicycle) - all are good ideas. Always good to have a backup. When I was younger I often had my MTB in the back of my Scout Traveler as a backup and used it as such more than once. When I was going to college I either walked or rode to school more than I drove. I was in pretty good shape back then - it was 30 years ago and I have gone downhill since - figuratively. :-(

Fact. Toyotas in general are not comfortable as most domestics.

I'd know, having only owned one American truck. I'm six foot 160 and toyota seats drive even me crazy.

I am 6'6" tall and 260# and I fit into my Toyota pickup ok - but just ok. It is a supercab so the seat is all the way back. My Dodge is more comfortable. My Scout had horrible semi-bench seats. My Datsun:

2epocxt.jpg

Had a horrible bench seat.

My Bronco II had decent seats, but it was unreliable; every year something electronic went wrong with it and cost me $500 to $1000. Then the transmission went out, got a rebuilt and that went out 40K miles later. When it worked it was fine, but I eventually got to where I did not trust it.

My Dad used to say no one needed 4WD till he bought a used '67 GMC pickup with a dump bed. He bought it for the bed, then he found out how 4WD worked and he was a convert. Later he would say "There isn't a month in a year when I don't use 4WD" he did ranching and a lot of custom haying.

Unless a 2WD had chains or at least studs, traction control of some sort, when it snows (or there is black ice) it would not be able to get out of my driveway, much less up the hill to the public road.

1618640_209917129203160_718766099_n.jpg

I have driven all kinds of vehicles in all kinds of conditions for over 50 years, and having that extra traction up front makes a lot of difference when the traction is low, especially up an incline. How many times those rear wheels would start to spin and the vehicle just sat there going nowhere, then I put it in 4WD and move right out, I can't count.

It is still easy to get stuck with 4WD, but it makes a big difference. No more 2WD only for me.

4WD, but it makes a big difference. No more 2WD only for me.
I grew up in SW Idaho Outback learning how far/where/when 2WD could be counted on. Too poor then to afford 4x4....until my high school buddy came up with the first 45 Willys surplus rig...then the job was learning how far to be willing to walk back because the dern thing really DID break down beyond mere vice grips & hammer repairs...

I can't recall even once we got stuck BECAUSE of 4x4 traction.

What are your thoughts on a good vehicle? Im new to thinking about this so this is what seems like the priorities would be: (not necessarily in the order of priority)

1. Reliability
2. Inconspicuous
3. Fuel Efficient
4. Storage (first aid, chain saw, tools etc)
5. Ability to move all members of the family

Not a priority
1. Camo paint
2. Winch
3. 4x4 (how often are you in 4x4 really?)
4. AC
5. Zombie response stickers

Given this premise, it seems like a good inexpensive vehicle for SHTF would be a common minivan.

Thoughts??
Back in the mid 80's my wife brought me home a 74 Chevy truck with the option of point ignition. Since that time I have replaced every thing except the power brake booster and the running gears with the 205 rock crusher transfer case. The last emission test it passed with the best readings, near zero, of anything I have ever put through their. It has been in two wreaks that sent a Ford Truck and a Trans Am to the graveyard, it's been rolled, and on every 4 wheel trail in the state. It's never left me stranded and never been in a shop. I take it out every other week shooting and lately it takes me a half hour on a freeway to get close to where I'm going. For 10 years I worked out of the truck. It's pulled a stuck semi with a 40 foot trailer out of the mud and throw a tree while it's driver applied the brake.

Back when I was thinking about selling it I was setting in the passenger seat and read the option list on the glove box door.That's when I decided to rebuild the engine instead. Best move I ever made. I'll always own the truck and 20171101_132312.jpg I still have the wife. That's a 68 Chevy Impale setting next to it.

Last Edited:
EMP resistance or vulnerability should be one of the pros or cons, but should not be the only thing considered to the detriment of others factors. We are much more likely to have to deal with the aftermath of a natural disaster than that of a nuclear war - IMO.
Natural disaster is clearly a greater threat than nuclear war. Having said that ... im reconsidering the need for 4x4

We can the Dodge Sphincters and the Ford Transit Vans-Transients
I had a Mercedes Sprinter as part of my fire company, we beat the living snot out of the thing, and it held up better then we thought it would, got damn good milege too! If it wasn' so beat, and worn out, I would have kept it and used it as my daily driver! It was very comfortable to drive long distances, nice and quiet, and would pull a large heavy trailer at above the speed limit during emergency response! That type of work is very hard on any equipment and is a testament to how well built these are! I think @Stomper has one as well, I'm sure he can tell you how he likes it! :)

After last years fire season, i am of the opinion that with the drier year we have had so far, it would be a more pressing issue than the earthquake. In addition to the water issues in Salem; the wildfire threat is big enough, that I think prepping for it would be important short term, in addition to earthquake. Of course it depends where you are, but I am only a hour West of the Cascades if that, and it is a concern, especially after the ash clouds affected quality of air... had to swap filters out in my Sportage, twice to be sure

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top