Good SHTF Vehicles

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by thefrontsight, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Mister Bisley

Mister Bisley
    Wilsonville, OR
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2018 Volunteer

Another great point @Argonaut. It’s moments like that, that make it apparent that the fabric of our country is strong. In a SHTF scenario, a strong community makes us much less vulnerable than going at it alone. Strength in numbers

Ura-Ki, CamoDeafie and Argonaut like this.
  2. DuneHopper

DuneHopper
    (2- " Q " -+1)
    Civility is a two way street. Diamond Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

I would say that a good 90% of people are good, of that 90% maybe 60 would lend a brother a hand.
    I will and still help people, but I am pretty jaded as well where I once was not. Not sure why I help people been screwed allot by people mostly because they were in a place one should assume trust can be found such as Church, Clubs and Family all who have screwed me for thousands yet I think that has helped me Identify the Bullbubblegumzers with out tilting my own hand. To digress there may come a time you will have to ask or give help it can be touchy especially being the fact in SHTF situation many will be armed but that help you give may solidify a needed bond for survival. Society doesn't help either women look at men crosseyes now days due to the media projecting every man is a pedophile or rapist, so if SHTF it would be hard for some to get the help they need due to how society has framed many people. That said use caution and carry a big stick, air on the side of caution not paranoia.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  3. Taco_lean

Taco_lean
    SW WA
    Well-Known Member 2018 Volunteer

Yeah this is less gross.

4. The Heretic

The Heretic
    Oregon
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

l 85578169eff67fe1ffff83aeffffe417.jpg

http://dixonrollerpack.com

There are a number of variations on this.

A folding bicycle, a folding electric bicycle, a bicycle with a trailer, a bicycle with a pusher trailer (the trailer is powered and pushes the bicycle) - all are good ideas. Always good to have a backup. When I was younger I often had my MTB in the back of my Scout Traveler as a backup and used it as such more than once. When I was going to college I either walked or rode to school more than I drove. I was in pretty good shape back then - it was 30 years ago and I have gone downhill since - figuratively. :-(

Taco_lean, Ura-Ki and CamoDeafie like this.
  5. The Heretic

The Heretic
    Oregon

I am 6'6" tall and 260# and I fit into my Toyota pickup ok - but just ok. It is a supercab so the seat is all the way back. My Dodge is more comfortable. My Scout had horrible semi-bench seats. My Datsun:

2epocxt.jpg

Had a horrible bench seat.

My Bronco II had decent seats, but it was unreliable; every year something electronic went wrong with it and cost me $500 to $1000. Then the transmission went out, got a rebuilt and that went out 40K miles later. When it worked it was fine, but I eventually got to where I did not trust it.

Taco_lean, Heyjoe and Ura-Ki like this.
  6. The Heretic

The Heretic
    Oregon

Unless a 2WD had chains or at least studs, traction control of some sort, when it snows (or there is black ice) it would not be able to get out of my driveway, much less up the hill to the public road.

1618640_209917129203160_718766099_n.jpg

I have driven all kinds of vehicles in all kinds of conditions for over 50 years, and having that extra traction up front makes a lot of difference when the traction is low, especially up an incline. How many times those rear wheels would start to spin and the vehicle just sat there going nowhere, then I put it in 4WD and move right out, I can't count.

It is still easy to get stuck with 4WD, but it makes a big difference. No more 2WD only for me.

7. Mainsail

Mainsail
    Puget Sound

8. The Heretic

The Heretic
    Oregon

Like this guy?

[​IMG]

Oh - wait, you mean their speedometers?

:D

Taco_lean likes this.
  9. bobdog308

bobdog308
    woodland

there would be no vehicular travel of any significant distance. stay at home, hope you picked a good home. like argonaut said.

Taco_lean and Argonaut like this.
  10. 41mag

41mag
    sunny Orygun
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

I grew up in SW Idaho Outback learning how far/where/when 2WD could be counted on. Too poor then to afford 4x4....until my high school buddy came up with the first 45 Willys surplus rig...then the job was learning how far to be willing to walk back because the dern thing really DID break down beyond mere vice grips & hammer repairs...

I can't recall even once we got stuck BECAUSE of 4x4 traction.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  11. badbob85037

badbob85037
    25 miles east of Palo Verde Nuclear Plant

Back in the mid 80's my wife brought me home a 74 Chevy truck with the option of point ignition. Since that time I have replaced every thing except the power brake booster and the running gears with the 205 rock crusher transfer case. The last emission test it passed with the best readings, near zero, of anything I have ever put through their. It has been in two wreaks that sent a Ford Truck and a Trans Am to the graveyard, it's been rolled, and on every 4 wheel trail in the state. It's never left me stranded and never been in a shop. I take it out every other week shooting and lately it takes me a half hour on a freeway to get close to where I'm going. For 10 years I worked out of the truck. It's pulled a stuck semi with a 40 foot trailer out of the mud and throw a tree while it's driver applied the brake.

Back when I was thinking about selling it I was setting in the passenger seat and read the option list on the glove box door.That's when I decided to rebuild the engine instead. Best move I ever made. I'll always own the truck and 20171101_132312.jpg I still have the wife. That's a 68 Chevy Impale setting next to it.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  12. partsed

partsed
    Silverton Oregon
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

We can the Dodge Sphincters and the Ford Transit Vans-Transients

13. badbob85037

badbob85037
    25 miles east of Palo Verde Nuclear Plant

That would be the best way to ride out anything except a flood.

14. thefrontsight

thefrontsight
    Clark county washington

Natural disaster is clearly a greater threat than nuclear war. Having said that ... im reconsidering the need for 4x4

15. thefrontsight

thefrontsight
    Clark county washington

The natural disaster threats in the PAC NW is clearly #1 Earthquake followed by #2 Volcano and then #3 unhappy hippys who throw bottles when they dont get free stuff.

16. SKrueger

SKrueger
    West Coast
    Moderator Staff Member Diamond Supporter Gold Supporter 2017 Volunteer

Good Call, you may never need it but if you do and don't have it you will be pissed at yourself. Mine has bailed me out many a time!;)

MrMillspecer, Ura-Ki and 3MTA3 like this.
  17. CamoDeafie

CamoDeafie
    Albany

Wildfire?

18. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki
    Doin Patriot Stuff
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

I had a Mercedes Sprinter as part of my fire company, we beat the living snot out of the thing, and it held up better then we thought it would, got damn good milege too! If it wasn' so beat, and worn out, I would have kept it and used it as my daily driver! It was very comfortable to drive long distances, nice and quiet, and would pull a large heavy trailer at above the speed limit during emergency response! That type of work is very hard on any equipment and is a testament to how well built these are! I think @Stomper has one as well, I'm sure he can tell you how he likes it! :)

Argonaut, Taco_lean and 3MTA3 like this.
  19. thefrontsight

thefrontsight
    Clark county washington

Its RARELY used (4x4) but with the #1 natural disaster threat being the kind of threat that rips up the roads....its what has made me reconsider.

Taco_lean, Ura-Ki and 3MTA3 like this.
  20. 3MTA3

3MTA3
    Western Oregon
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Our greatest threats are in Salem and Olympia.