JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I dont carry often. Just when I'm going into areas where I have a reason to. Out in the whitey burbs there isnt much call for it. In any case when I do its usually a P220 because I really dont care if I "print" or its open carry because I dont wear baggy stuff very often if its not winter time.

I dont carry often. Just when I'm going into areas where I have a reason to. Out in the whitey burbs there isnt much call for it. In any case when I do its usually a P220 because I really dont care if I "print" or its open carry because I dont wear baggy stuff very often if its not winter time.

Do you know the number #1 thing said by living victims and witnesses of shooting?

"I just can't believe something like this could happen here." or some version of. Just saying if you knew you NEEDED a gun you could avoid being present for events to begin with, hence the point of a pistol.

I used to switch between a Glock 22, Sig P226 and full size Colt 1911 in a paddle holster. I would always wear a longer rain type coat or winter jacket during the fall or winter months. In the summer time I wore baggy shirts.

I did that for probably 15 years, but I now only carry my Ruger LC9S Pro. I can put it in my pants or shorts pocket and no one is the wiser. I usually carry two or three spare mags in different pockets for reloads. I shoot it extremely well (a surprise to me for such a small pistol). I no longer have to worry about wearing baggy shirts or coats.

Last Edited:
Do you know the number #1 thing said by living victims and witnesses of shooting?

"I just can't believe something like this could happen here." or some version of. Just saying if you knew you NEEDED a gun you could avoid being present for events to begin with, hence the point of a pistol.

Thats one way to look at it. The other one is to look at the reality of where you live and travel. There are places in Yakima ( gasp ) where its unsafe for anyone any time. Those are the places I usually carry. Strolling around the block in my suburban golf course / apple orchard upper middle class neighborhood I dont carry. I have a better chance of catching on fire than getting shot but I dont carry a fire extinguisher everywhere I go either.

Thats one way to look at it. The other one is to look at the reality of where you live and travel. There are places in Yakima ( gasp ) where its unsafe for anyone any time. Those are the places I usually carry. Strolling around the block in my suburban golf course / apple orchard upper middle class neighborhood I dont carry. I have a better chance of catching on fire than getting shot but I dont carry a fire extinguisher everywhere I go either.

The problem with that theory is you are considering only yourself and your AO, the scumbags in those areas you are talking about travel around too, what happens when the are trying to avoid a hot pursuit or looking for easy pickings and come to your neighborhood?

BTW , I carry fire extinguishers where ever I go, too.

At 6'1" / 200lb, I'm not an especially big or stocky guy. Thus, I find it challenging to really hide a 1911 unless it's in a shoulder rig under a sport coat, both of which I retired last century. I can hip holster a 1911 or Hi Power under a coat or heavy flannel during the 6-month Oregon winter, but I've grown accustomed to a lighter, less bulky snub that's a lot easier to keep concealed year-round.

Whatever you decide to carry, train with it so it's current second nature to deploy and use effectively in a life/death emergency.

Last Edited:
1) #44 above: "Thats one way to look at it. The other one is to look at the reality of where you live and travel. There are places in Yakima ( gasp ) where its unsafe for anyone any time. Those are the places I usually carry. Strolling around the block in my suburban golf course / apple orchard upper middle class neighborhood I dont carry. I have a better chance of catching on fire than getting shot but I dont carry a fire extinguisher everywhere I go either.
Not meaning to nitpick, but if the place is unsafe at any time, wouldn't be better to avoid it? Going into a place you know to be dangerous and getting gunned up specifically for that trip could be portrayed as mens rea by the persecuting attorney (sic.)
2) "I have a better chance of catching on fire than getting shot but I dont carry a fire extinguisher everywhere I go either." Actually, aren't more people shot in nice neighborhoods than burst into flames? Can you cite a source? Again, not meaning to be contentious, but one doesn't leave the spare tire home because it's just a trip to the library. We live in a semi-rural cul-de-sac, and we had a guy who gave every reason to believe he was waiting in our driveway for the arrival of other scum suckers to break into our home. It's a quiet neighborhood, but I don't go out to the mail box unarmed. Paranoid? Better thought paranoid than be caught unawares.

I'm Left Handed, 6'1" tall and go around 210-215 pounds. Slight pot belly. 501 button fly Levis with added and removed belt loops. 42" waist, 36 length. Home made thick wide belt made from horse tack strapping and a western buckle. The Levis are washed and dried on warm settings to shrink to fit. As I am dieting the pants will be washed in hot water to further shrink them.

Do not laugh but a Springfield Armory XD Tactical 5" bbl .45 acp blue finish ambo safety pistol practically disappears. 13+1. CrossBreed Super Tuck inside the pants paddle holster at about the 8 o'clock position. Horsehide upgrade. Non Combat Cutaway. One or two double mag pouches are employed in the 5 to 6 o'clock position. A tablet/cell phone pouch is on the Right Hip.

The cell or tablet pouch/case draws the eyes away from my handgun carry position. A slight visual recognition trick. Seems to work. The cell/tablet case is visible below my worn outsides tee shirt. The Super Tuck squeaks a bit when new but quickly wears in. You forgot you are packing 66 rounds of .45 auto. The CrossBreed is that comfy. Sixteen hour days easily done. Works.

I think the key factor here is that I have a slight gut and the belly fat flows around the paddle holster. No fat pinching.

Edited by HB for s/p and added sentences.

Last Edited:
I do have a nice OWB holster that really sucks my pistol very close to my hip. Its made by Black Lable. Would like to find a mag pouch that hugs tight to my hip also. It is made from Kydex.

7B5C400F-32C4-4BB7-B2BA-E78FAA47AF89.png

1) #44 above: "Thats one way to look at it. The other one is to look at the reality of where you live and travel. There are places in Yakima ( gasp ) where its unsafe for anyone any time. Those are the places I usually carry. Strolling around the block in my suburban golf course / apple orchard upper middle class neighborhood I dont carry. I have a better chance of catching on fire than getting shot but I dont carry a fire extinguisher everywhere I go either.
Not meaning to nitpick, but if the place is unsafe at any time, wouldn't be better to avoid it? Going into a place you know to be dangerous and getting gunned up specifically for that trip could be portrayed as mens rea by the persecuting attorney (sic.)
2) "I have a better chance of catching on fire than getting shot but I dont carry a fire extinguisher everywhere I go either." Actually, aren't more people shot in nice neighborhoods than burst into flames? Can you cite a source? Again, not meaning to be contentious, but one doesn't leave the spare tire home because it's just a trip to the library. We live in a semi-rural cul-de-sac, and we had a guy who gave every reason to believe he was waiting in our driveway for the arrival of other scum suckers to break into our home. It's a quiet neighborhood, but I don't go out to the mail box unarmed. Paranoid? Better thought paranoid than be caught unawares.

Its the reality of Yakima. Anything downtown is unsafe. People still go there. Restaurants are there. Machine shops etc. Places I go . Its unsafe so when I go there I carry a gun. Minit marts in Yakima are unsafe. Still go there. We arent on the west side . Prosecuting attorneys here prosecute people who actually commit crimes not people walking around with guns for self protection.

I live in one of those doctor lawyer type subdivisions with ZERO crime rate other than the occasional late night bike theft. That and I'm 6'4" 240 lbs and apparently walk around like I'm pissed off at the world a lot or so I'm told. People move into neighborhoods like mine to get away from people like me as my wife is fond of telling me. NO ONE EVER starts crap with me. Everyones situation is different and if you feel its necessary to carry a gun all the time no matter where you are then so be it. I don't but some places I do.

I forgot to add I would like to get the M&P 2.0 9c for my new EDC

I carry full size guns for the most part. I carry an M&P40 2.0 and an M&P40 2.0c. The 2.0 series guns feel great in the hand and shoot soft. Recoil management is better than most. That said, I carry them because I carry the full size 9mm version on duty.

If I didn't carry that gun at work, I'd likely just carry whatever I was issued or something similar. I've carried Glock 17s and Sig P220/P226 in the past as well. I figure if I'm gonna get into a gunfight, I want it to be something I shoot a lot.

I carry mostly IWB unless I am wearing a jacket. I usually don't wear a jacket though.

Most days I usually carry a 5" 1911 or a 4" M&P 45 1.0.

BTW...M&P just released the 2.0 version of their 4" 45, if you didn't happen to catch it. They're calling it a compact. I don't usually consider a Glock 19 sized gun a compact...but that's what they're calling it. It's a great size whatever they decide to call it.

M&P®45 M2.0™ 4" Compact | Smith & Wesson

The M&P45 2.0 compact uses a full size frame. Its just shorter in the slide. Its taller than a full size M&P9. I dont have a hard time hiding slide length IWB so i'd just carry the full size gun.

The M&P9/40 compact is truly G19 size.

Once upon a time, I carried a stainless Colt Combat Commander in a Milt Sparks Nexus on a Bigfoot steel lined gunbelt. This combination was comfortable and easily concealed under and oversized t-shirt... A couple of recharges provided a comforting 25 rounds of .45 ACP... it proved to be a reasonably heavy load to carry daily. CCFBF025-49E9-49A7-AC96-9A4B9AAAD430.jpeg

Nowadays, I find my EDC has become a Shield .45 in a Concealment Express kydex holster riding on that same Bigfoot steel lined gunbelt. This combination disappears and for me personally, unobtrusive in my daily routine. Much more comfortable due to its weight advantage and with a couple of recharges, still provides a reasonable 21 rounds of .45 ACP.
C39DC635-9C01-4EF3-B5D3-FB65897E3944.jpeg

Honestly, it boils down to carry what your most proficient with and most comfortable with. Don't skimp on carry gear, invest in quality and you'll be rewarded with more comfortable and consistent carry. I learned that the hard way and have a box of holsters that are quite so impressive...

Anybody know who carries or makes holsters for a Steyr S9? For availability of accoutrements an early S9 compares to a Glock like a Studebaker 289 compares to a SBC or SBF, but the people who have them like them.

I do "like" to carry a full size, 1911 mostly. Of course like many there are times I just will not dress for it. When "young and fit" I did like IWB. I always liked the left hand version worn on the right side. Kept the pistol tight and was an easy draw to learn. Now days I carry at least an extra 50#'s so it's belt or shoulder carry. Have long pocket carried something. Often as a backup and at times the only. figuring any gun is better than no gun. Almost everyone I have ever known who has carried for a while will end up with a box of holsters they no longer use. Seems to be no way to find what works without going through a few trial and error times.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top