JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've got a commander sized 1911 (government full size frame but 4.25" barrel) and I'd like a good holster for it.

This will be my first attempt at carrying a full sized handgun concealed.

I've got "more to love" around the waist, so that's a factor to consider. I've been carrying a Shield pretty comfortably in Appendix position but that's not as much of an option for a full size frame from my understanding… and the company that makes the Urban Carry holster I use for that doesn't make them in that size anyway, so I'm turning to my gun-loving friends and acquaintances at NWFA for suggestions.

Looking for IWB if plausible for the conceal ability factor.

Thank you in advance!

You want to go OWB.
The Belt is more important than the holster.
For NON-open carry, I am partial to the Don Hume J.I.T. I've used it for a G36(exactly the same size as a Commander), as well as a Government Model.
When I print heavily, or open carry, I use a SERPA.
(I know how NOT to Tex Grebner)

Joe

Up to you.....
LOL.

1691009115759.png
1691008866918.png
1691008835090.png
1691008818221.png

Aloha, Mark

PS.....and for the "special people".....IF, you're gonna CCW, don't forget.

1691009459168.png

Tenicor.

I carry a Comped G17 with a Surefire X300 weapon light appendix. I don't have a gut but carrying a full size gun can easily be done. Just takes some getting used to.

You want to go OWB.
The Belt is more important than the holster.
For NON-open carry, I am partial to the Don Hume J.I.T. I've used it for a G36(exactly the same size as a Commander), as well as a Government Model.
When I print heavily, or open carry, I use a SERPA.
(I know how NOT to Tex Grebner)

Joe
Thanks. I have a Nexbelt EDC Supreme for the belt, so I'm pretty confident that will work. Will check out the Don Hume, thanks!

Holsters are a personal choice, I've tried the plastics for in and out, several were great as holsters go but not for me. Were I a more "tactical type I'd likely go with them. One either loves or hates them. for 1911 size, most leather add more bulk to an already bulky object, but are most comfortable for me, feel and fit the best when I'm in the out of doors with less people around.
When in town I use a home made leather minimalist . I don't dance, do summersaults or chase people down so I can get buy with a holster for less active folks, Even if I was to fall down I doubt my 1911 would dislodge. it retains that well and adds no bulk.
As @red442joe said a good belt is important, especially for a heavy gun albeit I prefer tooled leather so I still feel casual and not tactical.
Most firearm active folks usually end up their life with a box of holsters partly from different guns but much from looking for the perfect rig.

I went with a tenicor certum3 after reading @1775usmc comments about them and researching it further.

Granted mine is for my p365xl which is very concealable but the holster does perform well.

Much more comfortable and less bulky than my wethepeople kydex for my xd sc.

I went with a tenicor certum3 after reading @1775usmc comments about them and researching it further.

Granted mine is for my p365xl which is very concealable but the holster does perform well.

Much more comfortable and less bulky than my wethepeople kydex for my xd sc.
And the retention is super positive. I've lost a gun out of a holster jumping a fence.

Never again.

Check out Privateer leather he makes nice stuff. I have a couple of the Highwayman holsters owb and a Maurader iwb. Super nice great retention on the gun and comfortable for me. He's also very willing to answer questions and help how he can.

Im really happy with my Precision Holsters for my 1911s. Their OWB is very concealable and comfortable with a Commander 1911, really hugs close to the body.

Another vote for Milt Sparks, but for the Nexus, horsehide and steer. Carried a combat commander in one that was concealable under an oversized t-shirt. Not cheap and takes a bit of a wait, but well worth it. That holster with a steel lined Bigfoot Gunbelt, nice and tight to the body, no flopping around, even during a run or jog.

6F6FB38C-64B7-48F6-9965-4C9A1ADF91CB.jpeg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews