JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
At $3k a month over 30 years it's a $1 million plus. So I guess the hose has to be worth a million at payoff. What would the taxes be by then?
What would you spend in rent over that same 30 years and have $0 to show for it at the end of the 30 years?

I guess you could always pitch a tent on Burnside to live in, but then where would you keep your guns?

Buy a gun if you want a gun. You are fooling yourself if you think it is an investment though.

I loaded up on milsurplus in the early 90's and the lowest appreciating guns have only doubled in value. All I have to do is find someone willing to pay gunbroker prices plus background check plus one if not two FFL fees and shipping. Or take them to a gun shop and give the majority of the profit to them in consignment fees. Or sell them out right to the gun shop for penny's on the dollar

My point is, guns are not a very liquid asset.

P.s. I bought my first house back in the 90's for $3800 (heavily fire damaged). I rolled the profit into my second house and that profit into my current (3rd) house which has a Zillow estimate of 1.2 mil with $1831 monthly payments (including property tax and insurance) at 3.1% interest with $118k principal remaining. Do I pay off a 3.1% mortgage early? I am very torn since I am already maxing my work 401k retirement and IRA's.

Last Edited:
What would you spend in rent over that same 30 years and have $0 to show for it at the end of the 30 years?

I guess you could always pitch a tent on Burnside to live in, but then where would you keep your guns?

Buy a gun if you want a gun. You are fooling yourself if you think it is an investment though.

I loaded up on milsurplus in the 90's and the lowest appreciating guns have only doubled in value. All I have to do is find someone willing to pay gunbroker prices plus backgroung check plus one if not two FFL fees and shipping. Or take them to a gun shop and give the majority of the profit to them in consignment fees. Or sell them out right to the gun shop for penny's on the dollar

Also the above scenario would never happen. If you bought a 450K house at 7% interest you'd refinance it as soon as the rates dropped. So then you have a 2000 a month mortgage. Maybe you get 1.3 mil for it 30 years later. Thats a profit of 600-700K . Math is hard.

Or sell 20 guns for $200 profit each if your'e lucky. Theres $4000. Yay.

I cant play 18 holes for two people under 100 bucks and thats at the ghetto course
Golf has gotten hit by inflation like everything else. We paid $40 apiece for 18 holes (walking - no cart) at a decent course here yesterday. Would have been well over $100 for two of us with a cart.

Yeah, Im not walking 8 miles in 95 degree heat carrying a golf bag
It wasn't quite that warm (mid 80's) here yesterday. We were just happy to have a day without a ton of smoke from the local wildfires. It is back today with a vengeance. I don't carry my bag much these days - maybe on a cooler morning. We were all using Sun Mountain push carts. Easier to carry the beer that way.

It wasn't quite that warm (mid 80's) here yesterday. We were just happy to have a day without a ton of smoke from the local wildfires. It is back today with a vengeance. I don't carry my bag much these days - maybe on a cooler morning. We were all using Sun Mountain push carts. Easier to carry the beer that way.
My son and I hir the local municipal course a few weeks ago 102 degrees and typical SC humidity . Even with the carts we made it half way with a promise to return in October.

The fires. Thats why I dont live in Washington any more. It was unbearable over in Yakima on top of well, it being Yakima..

I loaded up on milsurplus in the early 90's and the lowest appreciating guns have only doubled in value. All I have to do is find someone willing to pay gunbroker prices plus background check plus one if not two FFL fees and shipping. Or take them to a gun shop and give the majority of the profit to them in consignment fees. Or sell them out right to the gun shop for penny's on the dollar

P.s. I bought my first house back in the 90's for $3800 (heavily fire damaged). I rolled the profit into my second house and that profit into my current (3rd) house which has a Zillow estimate of 1.2 mil with $1831 monthly payments (including property tax and insurance) at 3.1% interest with $118k principal remaining. Do I pay off a 3.1% mortgage early? I am very torn since I am already maxing my work 401k retirement and IRA's.
I paid my house off in 12 years and put the house payment into a 401k. My monthly bills are easily manageable and I am saving money while retired.

My goal at retirement was to do the gunshows and have fun. Government destroyed that in Oregon.

They're somewhere in between "store of value" and investment - My rotating collection has given me an average annual return of 18% in value, with a lot of research on my part (that I enjoy by the way). It's often shocking how much guns will appreciate. Recent data point: a CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical I bought four years ago for $550, street value, I just sold for $850 easy.
Perhaps there were additional items you included when you sold your CZ or it was a different model then listed below? You found someone to pay $850 for a used one, here is a new 75 SP-01 Tactical for $781.

The garage sale conundrum.

How many $100 mossbergs , and $50 Marlin .22s do I need?

Lol , wish I still had all of them.
I miss the $39 Mauser 1914 pistols. I have ,multiple WWI era pistols I got for less than $50 just a few years ago. All but 1 are verified working condition. I haven't got around to making any 9mm glisenti to test the Beretta 1915.

My gun collection has a fair amount of money tied up in it. However, I bought used and generally I will get out what I put in, which is a much better deal than cash.

A good example of a firearm investment.

Not that you could have guessed they would have discontinued them and failed the successor leaving a demand for them.

Perhaps there were additional items you included when you sold your CZ or it was a different model then listed below? You found someone to pay $850 for a used one, here is a new 75 SP-01 Tactical for $781.
It was the discontinued suppressor-ready Urban Grey model. I watched several go for $900 on GB in the last month.

Asking if guns are a good investment is akin to asking if cars are a good investment. If I was lucky enough to own a pristine Dino 246 GTS, then yeah, I'd have a car of investment quality. But a Camry or Accord? Nope. If you can find and afford a unique, desirable, preferably one-of-a-kind gun in original condition, then you probably have something worth investing in. Otherwise, good luck with that.

This transferable FN M249 just came up for auction. The only one in existence which can be owned (legally) by a civilian.
Morphy Auctions bid page
It will be interesting to see what it sells for.
Ol Larry Z ain't got one?
ISS_Larry_Zanoff-0026_HIREZ.jpg

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany