JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As many of you know I am a pretty consistent buyer and trader of firearms. I went in to purchase a gun from a fellow member on here. We met up at Money market pawn. Pretty solid place. Anyway I started to fill out the 4473 and Peter the owner explained to me there " new rule" to which I replied "what is the new rule?" Apparently they will no longer hold the firearm for you. Now this is a HUGE problem. Luckily I am always instant approval. But the problem remains. For example, two parties meet up to complete a transfer buyer fills out paper and is put in the que. Firearm goes home with seller. Seller and buyer have to meet up for a second time with the FFL in order to complete the transfer. I asked him if this rule was strictly for his establishment he said because people are apparently failing background checks and because you have to complete a transfer back to the original owner a significant amount of people are just abandoning said firearm to which the FFL is now stuck with possession. What do y'all think of the situation? I see both sides but man does that suck for avid buyers and traders!

So I have had this happen to me last year.. I met with a member from here down in medford for a transfer I was receiving... and same thing once I went into the que they would not hold and sent him home with it... we had to meet up a week later when I cleared it was definitely a inconvenience for both of us...but It honestly I think just depends on the shop... yes they said people was mad because they had to run original owner through BGC again +$10.... 🙄 😒

My preferred FFL does things this way. Granted, I typically buy direct from his inventory so it doesn't affect me. However, I can see why this would be a hassle, especially if one or both parties have a long commute or a complicated schedule

I have had this happen too,

The things I don't understand -

1) If the shop transfers a gun, as i understand, they put it in their book, but then they are sending it off with someone else, who they did not transfer it to.

2) Once the transfer is OK'ed (which has the guns info), the original owner still has possession of your gun, which you would think is illegal.

Isn't the whole point, is the FFL is the middle man so it all stays legal?

As many of you know I am a pretty consistent buyer and trader of firearms. I went in to purchase a gun from a fellow member on here. We met up at Money market pawn. Pretty solid place. Anyway I started to fill out the 4473 and Peter the owner explained to me there " new rule" to which I replied "what is the new rule?" Apparently they will no longer hold the firearm for you. Now this is a HUGE problem. Luckily I am always instant approval. But the problem remains. For example, two parties meet up to complete a transfer buyer fills out paper and is put in the que. Firearm goes home with seller. Seller and buyer have to meet up for a second time with the FFL in order to complete the transfer. I asked him if this rule was strictly for his establishment he said because people are apparently failing background checks and because you have to complete a transfer back to the original owner a significant amount of people are just abandoning said firearm to which the FFL is now stuck with possession. What do y'all think of the situation? I see both sides but man does that suck for avid buyers and traders!
From what I've heard from several other FFLs, the profit margin for private party transfers is very small. Essentially, many still do those type of transfers as a "favor" to keep their customer base for the time when you actually buy a firearms from them.

A few I've talked to have stopped doing private party transfers all together, which is their choice.

I agree with others that you also have the choice to move on to another FFL who will accept your business. That's what the free market does for us. 👍🙂

From what I've heard from several other FFLs, the profit margin for private party transfers is very small. Essentially, many still do those type of transfers as a "favor" to keep their customer base for the time when you actually buy a firearms from them.
I've heard the complaint, but think about it this way. Even at $10 / transfer, it takes five minutes to input the information for the 4473 and maybe two minutes to write the info in the books. They just made $10 in fifteen minutes from one employee.

One employee brings in $40 in an hour to do a transfer.

Most places charge more than $10 for a transfer, and I've heard the margins on guns are sometimes only $20.

Another sad byproduct of the BS laws in this state. :(
This^^^.
With all the fire arms coming and going between private parties. And all the delays for various reasons, real or on purpose. How would you like to be the FFL that may be forced to hold , how many firearms, on their property?????? I did a couple deals at Money Market. It was great they'd hold the gun. I also did a couple of deal at A Cut Above Pawn. Great people there too, but they never would hold a gun.
It's the state screwing you again, not the shop. They're in a tough place to do biz with the state of Oregon. It isn't getting better either.

@peteNW503 I'm not bagging on you Pete. I'd be pissed too. I'm not likely buying anything again in a private party transfer though.

Bummer for sure. The folks at Money Market have always been really good guys to me and I have sent them a lot of business, but slowly over the last few years they have implemented just enough new rules that made it where I've pivoted to another FFL on the east side as my primary. And generally now I'll drive 45 minutes out of my way to the other side of town and do A Cut Above if I can swing it.

Not holding the gun is a total deal breaker for me too.

Bummer for sure. The folks at Money Market have always been really good guys to me and I have sent them a lot of business, but slowly over the last few years they have implemented just enough new rules that made it where I've pivoted to another FFL on the east side as my primary. And generally now I'll drive 45 minutes out of my way to the other side of town and do A Cut Above if I can swing it.

Not holding the gun is a total deal breaker for me too.
Is Cut Above still $25.00?

Money market has always been good to there costumers as far as I am concerned I've not had issues with them and they really go out of there way to help their costumers… maybe we can talk to Peter and have him liquidate some of those abandoned guns at a discount, I'm not sure if that's legal to do but just an idea

This thread is depressing. Now I'll be even less likely to offload unloved firearms or acquire new ones from someone other than a dealer. Especially dealing with out of area folks. In the past I've used 295 Tactical in Springfield. Great to work with. I guess I'd better check to see if they will still hold a firearm while the background check clears.

I think they are $30 now. And to ship a gun is now cost + $40. So they are getting more expensive as well. But the folks there are top notch and I don't know of anyone cheaper...
$30.00 is totally reasonable. Heck, last time I shipped a handgun it was $70.00! But I was naive and didn't know what I was doing.

Seems to me a dealer/FFL charging $45.00-$50.00 for a private transfer is telling me they don't want to do transferees. Also tells me they don't want my business. I will oblige them. Gun shops didn't stand up and make an appearance when laws got passed that SCREW law abiding gun owners. We'll see how they do when we no longer use them.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top