JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Anything you'd want to live in starts at 400k in most markets. More in others. Mortgage on a 450K house was around 2 grand a month at 2 1/4% until rates went up, Now its more like 3 grand at 7%. Thats why the reas estate market has ground to a halt and why recruiting for jobs requiring relocation has ground to a halt. This might get better if rates go down but interest rates and hot economies are scrappily tied to inflation.
At $3k a month over 30 years it's a $1 million plus. So I guess the hose has to be worth a million at payoff. What would the taxes be by then?

Point being for guns to be a good investment they have to go up in value over time. Inflation is killing investments.

My brother got through life owning just two guns. A Remington 788 in 308 he killed a huge elk with and a Ruger 357 Blackhawk.

He spent his fun money on the golf course and a membership to the club. He paid more in dues and upkeep than I spent per month on ammo. He sure loved to golf.

Brothers second wife was a big saver, turns out she was saving his money to leave him. :s0140:
In the service, my buddy's wife got a department store card in his name and maxed it out. He found out when he went to buy a car. She had expensive taste on an E4 budget. I wonder if they're still together?

Anyway, to the OP. I think a better question is, when was the last time firearms were a good investment?

1692508048064.png
Here's a nice picture, free with the purchase of any two socks! :s0140:

They're somewhere in between "store of value" and investment - My rotating collection has given me an average annual return of 18% in value, with a lot of research on my part (that I enjoy by the way). It's often shocking how much guns will appreciate. Recent data point: a CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical I bought four years ago for $550, street value, I just sold for $850 easy.
Yes but that original $550 likely would have bought more stuff than the $850 in today's money...

At $3k a month over 30 years it's a $1 million plus. So I guess the hose has to be worth a million at payoff. What would the taxes be by then?

Point being for guns to be a good investment they have to go up in value over time. Inflation is killing investments.
Most people don't hold onto houses for that long. Almost every house I've owned sold for more that the aggregate cost of living there over the time I lived there . For example I cleared $160k after expenses selling my last house after living there 2.5 years. It cost me $67k total mortgage and utilities to live in that house during that time. Nice big house in a super hot market. Essentially I got paid to live there . I've owned 7 houses in my life. All but one was the same but it turned into a rental . I suppose I did make money on that turd over the decade I owned it but it was such a hassle I regret it nonetheless. In any case the average homeowner keeps their house less than 7 years .
In most markets houses are good investments . They aren't making as many as there are buyers for them. Guns on the other hand if adjusted for inflation are aggregate money losers . There are more guns made than there are buyers for them.

Last Edited:
Haven't read the entire thread, but I see guns as more of an investment in maintaining my (and my family's) safety, obtaining game to eat (if society collapses), and maintaining (and keeping) my citizenship from totally sliding into becoming a serf. Money be damned.

Anything you'd want to live in starts at 400k in most markets. More in others. Mortgage on a 450K house was around 2 grand a month at 2 1/4% until rates went up, Now its more like 3 grand at 7%. Thats why the reas estate market has ground to a halt and why recruiting for jobs requiring relocation has ground to a halt. This might get better if rates go down but interest rates and hot economies are scrappily tied to inflation.
They're still building like gangbusters here. At least 3 big projects in my little neighborhood. I guess people selling homes in a large market may be flush with cash and paying most off the $600-700k off for a new house outright.

Others buying with a traditional down payment are out of luck with these rates or rolling the dice betting on a regime change. Also, young families don't want a real starter home and fix it up. They want the mini mansion on day one.

My point about my brother loving golf is what will the future bring for guys that love to shoot? That's how you invest, you invest in the future. Will there be a demand for what you want to sell? Will the government continue its screwing with our gun rights? Will there be a place to shoot?

It's why voting is important, it's about your future. Do you want the democrats deciding your future?

All the fun of collecting firearms for me ended when Oregon prohibited private gun sales in 2015.
It was a great way to upgrade the condition, value or rarity of certain models that I had an interest in at the time.

My point about my brother loving golf is what will the future bring for guys that love to shoot? That's how you invest, you invest in the future. Will there be a demand for what you want to sell? Will the government continue its screwing with our gun rights? Will there be a place to shoot?

It's why voting is important, it's about your future. Do you want the democrats deciding your future?
Golf is fun. A guy can golf and still own more than two guns. I'm living proof!

Let me see. Spend money on golf or guns? Decisions, decisions. The answer for me = BOTH!

Come to think of it, other than food and beer, that's about all I do spend my money on.

:D

Golf is fun. A guy can golf and still own more than two guns. I'm living proof!

Let me see. Spend money on golf or guns? Decisions, decisions. The answer for me = BOTH!

Come to think of it, other than food and beer, that's about all I do spend my money on.

:D
I cant play 18 holes for two people under 100 bucks and thats at the ghetto course

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top