JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When was the last time you paid asking price at a gun show??? :cool:
last two times I bought a gun from one...within the last year.
Both were good fair prices....and this was at a modern show.
One was a 1968 Ruger Bearcat...in excellent shape...the other was a Savage 19/33 NRA Match rifle...again excellent shape.

Admittedly ....at a black powder show I am a bit more picky...
I like antique firearms...or new made ones that are historically correct in regards to fit , finish and parts used...
Those can be few and far between.
Andy

last two times I bought a gun from one...within the last year.
Both were good fair prices....and this was at a modern show.
One was a 1968 Ruger Bearcat...in excellent shape...the other was a Savage 19/33 NRA Match rifle...again excellent shape.

Admittedly ....at a black powder show I am a bit more picky...
I like antique firearms...or new made ones that are historically correct in regards to fit , finish and parts used...
Those can be few and far between.
Andy
Okay, you got me. Recently, so did I. But mine was not fairly priced. It was ridiculously low-priced (dealer moving an estate).

And the table-holder shared my deep abiding respect for all transfer laws, as well as cash. :cool:

Government is far to involved with the buying and selling of guns on the west coast. If you want to make money on guns then move to a red state that allows the freedom of commerce to sell your property.

There was a time in Oregon when gunshows were a great commercial enterprise and money was made while having fun.

Democrats destroyed that.

Have you considered the storage and transfer-ability of firearms compared to silver or gold for example? Certain firearms may indeed hit a depreciation floor and some will go up in value. Whether they will go up enough to cover inflation is another question to consider.

I would think if you are doing it strictly for investment purposes, it's probably not a great investment. I have bought tons and tons of firearms but don't expect them to make me wealthy. If I hadn't bought firearms I would have bought something else because money burns holes in my pockets.

Anti gun laws could ruin or help increase the value of your investment. If you do buy some for investment purposes try to buy them close to the depreciation floor so your losses will be minimized.
Really depends on the gun-- for example a decade ago I bought a used Browning 1919 for $1k, that gun is now worth over $5k in AZ

There are definitely guns out there that appreciate better than others.

I tend to think of foreign imports. Stuff that at any minute could be sanctioned.

American made stuff holds very little resale value, but that doesn't mean that there aren't examples out there. Ruger Red Label is one. You never know when a company is going to decide to cut a model or whole series.

Veprs were great investments. At their peak they were $400-$600. Now they fetch a premium of $1200-$2000.

Saigas are another example.

I'm not too sure Turkish guns will appreciate. But I'm fairly certain Chinese guns will at some point. There are Chinese semi auto shotguns that can be had for very little right now. If history repeats itself, which it usually does, those could double in price as soon as the sanctions hit.

Besides guns. Ammo usually goes up in price over time. So I'd say buy that over more guns. Ammo, for now, is sellable without the hoopla involved with guns. Sealed ammunition packaging can last extensive periods of time and only goes up in value over the years.

If I had to say which one I'd recommend to buy as an investment, it would be ammo.

Brothers second wife was a big saver, turns out she was saving his money to leave him. :s0140:
aXoW289_460s.jpg

Like any type of investment, you get out of it the time and effort you put into it. While anyone can get lucky, the ones who are getting consistent returns on their investments put the time and effort into obtaining the knowledge to be successful.

Here's my take on it because I've thought about this A LOT over the years. The only guns I'm investing in is class 3 weapons. Registered and transferable weapons. Those never depreciate in value considering they're the only ones that are limited in numbers and fewer exist as the years go by......my 2 cents.....IF you have the money's to drop thousands on an automatic weapon. I know there's a few members who tried selling said items, if they can pipe up and give their opinions......

Last Edited:
Firearms aren't a very liquid asset. So of your need cash quick you will probably sell them at a loss. If you have a couple of years to sell them your can most likely maximize your profit or it least not loose any money.

I have seen quite a few deals in the for sale section from people needing a car down payment, house down payment or to pay off medical bills. Several excellent deals I pass on simply because I am not in the market for that particular firearm.

If you want a particular fire arm go for it... But dont fool yourself into thinking it is an investment.

American made stuff holds very little resale value,
A correct statement when viewed as consistent with the rest of the post which concerned itself with modern production guns.

As a general statement, it could not be more off the mark.
Here's my take on it because I've thought about this A LOT over the years. The only guns I'm investing in is class 3 weapons. Registered and transferable weapons. Those never depreciate in value considering they're the only ones that are limited in numbers and fewer exist as the years go by......my 2 cents.....IF you have the money's to drop thousands on an automatic weapon. I know there's a few members who tried selling said items, if they can pipe up and give their opinions......
Not my cup of tea, but definitely "on the money". :cool: This is an arena where education REALLY comes into its own if one is comfortable with the increased level of government scrutiny.

One aspect of firearm investment has surprisingly not been mentioned yet. Gun control efforts. All publicly broadcast justifications for gun control concern themselves with "safety" and "violence" and "mass shootings" and "crime", etc., etc., etc.

Now ask yourself: What is the ONE thing about public behavior that irks the government more than ANYTHING ELSE? The one thing that the government cannot abide. The one thing (that is not otherwise a crime) that they will come and kill you for. ?? I can assure you its not "public safety".

Easy answer, and you know it: There is NOTHING more troublesome to the government than money changing hands with no "cut" going to the government. You can be the most peaceful Buddhist in the world, friend to all living things, and if you don't submit to sending them a portion of your income, they will come and shoot you dead (and have done so repeatedly). Poor struggling service workers' tips were an easy target for this insatiable greed.

Private transfer of firearms has enjoyed the 2nd Amendment umbrella as a side benefit. So far, the government cannot touch profits from such. People with big money (and many not the least bit interested in guns) are becoming ever more interested in this arena of investment for that very reason. This is an indicator that there is significant money changing hands, and the government's equal interest in the arena is the proof.

Next time you see or hear of gun control efforts in relation to "public safety", follow the money for the real motivation.

Last Edited:
They are a store of value but like gold only experience fluctuations in time of unrest, the more unrest the more fluctuation.

Good quality firearms, kept in excellent condition for long periods will make you money, some more, some a little less, and some really a lot. I've done this and I never sold less than what I bought them for, some have over double what I paid for them. It's just another addition to a portfolio. Advice for future, guns and cases of really good Burbon will be an excellent investment for a portfolio especially if and when the SHTF. 😊 Free advice from my investment friend.

Pryor to the transfer taxes, need for an FFL, and other penal difficulties added. Reasonable profit from appreciation was nearly guaranteed.
Post all the troubles, maybe with the exception of rare or unique, extremely difficult for the private seller to turn a profit on an average gun unless you got it free or 50 to 100 dollars less than market value to account for the time , travel, gas, fees, etc. associated.
In addition, check your local laws, your neighboring laws. Federal laws etc. Have their restrictive qualities progressively increased over the last 20 years, have they invaded and restricted your choices ?
Have you reason to believe that is going to reverse course?
My opine is to do yourself a favor, buy them for purpose, and or fun, and forget about "investment" or you will most likely be disappointed later.

Firearms aren't a very liquid asset. So of your need cash quick you will probably sell them at a loss. If you have a couple of years to sell them your can most likely maximize your profit or it least not loose any money.

I have seen quite a few deals in the for sale section from people needing a car down payment, house down payment or to pay off medical bills. Several excellent deals I pass on simply because I am not in the market for that particular firearm.

If you want a particular fire arm go for it... But dont fool yourself into thinking it is an investment.
It's certainly a better 'investment' than spending the same money at a bar

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top