JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ol Larry Z ain't got one?
View attachment 1473737
Not gonna lie, I'd probably have a collection that big if I could. But I'd organize it better. Looks like a hoard than a collection.

Edit: I stand corrected. Didn't open the pic to full size initially, just viewed the smaller sized image. Now that I've seen it properly, looks like it is well organized, just in a very crowded room with an inconveniently placed rolling cart full of guns.

Also the above scenario would never happen. If you bought a 450K house at 7% interest you'd refinance it as soon as the rates dropped. So then you have a 2000 a month mortgage. Maybe you get 1.3 mil for it 30 years later. Thats a profit of 600-700K . Math is hard.

Or sell 20 guns for $200 profit each if your'e lucky. Theres $4000. Yay.
:D look around, who will be able to buy an old track house costing a million three in 30 years? Then who will buy the same house 30 years after that for $4 million?

Point is about investments and selling guns, for it to be a good money making investment there has to be a market for the guns that sees the value. Then the buyer has to see a future value to invest in the gun.

Before Colt quit production on the SAA it was selling for $400 in the 80s. When it came back they are $1600+ then Colt went under. What's the future for Colt SAA guns made by Colt and not CZ?

Who will the buyers be?

Edited to add, will the democrats even allow us to buy guns?

:D look around, who will be able to buy an old track house costing a million three in 30 years? Then who will buy the same house 30 years after that for $4 million?

Point is about investments and selling guns, for it to be a good money making investment there has to be a market for the guns that sees the value. Then the buyer has to see a future value to invest in the gun.

Before Colt quit production on the SAA it was selling for $400 in the 80s. When it came back they are $1600+ then Colt went under. What's the future for Colt SAA guns made by Colt and not CZ?

Who will the buyers be?
Who? The same type of people buying them now. Wages go up it's just a shell game.
Colt never stopped building the SAA btw not in that time frame anyway. FWIW a SAA costs same as it pretty much always has . An ounce of gold

Who? The same type of people buying them now. Wages go up it's just a shell game.
Colt never stopped building the SAA btw not in that time frame anyway. FWIW a SAA costs same as it pretty much always has . An ounce of gold
It's my opinion that what people don't see is that taxes go up with inflation and there is an inflation tax on most everything new. Taxes are the real killer with inflation, you house value goes up and you get taxed on the new value. Gun collections are taxable too in some cases.

Colt did make special order SAA guns but they stopped regular production for a while. The 4th gens were their last ones under true Colt ownership.

Gold has inflated too, from $35 to $1800+ but like everything else, who is going to buy it at the new price?

It's my opinion that what people don't see is that taxes go up with inflation and there is an inflation tax on most everything new. Taxes are the real killer with inflation, you house value goes up and you get taxed on the new value. Gun collections are taxable too in some cases.

Colt did make special order SAA guns but they stopped regular production for a while. The 4th gens were their last ones under true Colt ownership.

Gold has inflated too, from $35 to $1800+ but like everything else, who is going to buy it at the new price?
If no one was buying gold, the price wouldnt be 1800 . prices go up on everything that's what inflation is. prices go up wages go up prices go up again wages go up again. Taxes go up but it's just more worthless money. The house we lived in when I was born cost $20,000 in 1964. It's $1 million home now. It's the same house. The taxes for $210 a year. Now they're 5000. $35 for that ounce of gold in 1930 was a lot of money.

If no one was buying gold, the price wouldnt be 1800 . prices go up on everything that's what inflation is. prices go up wages go up prices go up again wages go up again. Taxes go up but it's just more worthless money. The house we lived in when I was born cost $20,000 in 1964. It's $1 million home now. It's the same house. The taxes for $210 a year. Now they're 5000. $35 for that ounce of gold in 1930 was a lot of money.
That's pretty much my point, inflation goes up and prices go up as long as people have money to buy. An investment to me is something people can buy in the future. Will guns be an investment? Depends on the democrats.

How's it go? An ounce of gold should be able to buy a nice suit (perhaps not the nicest, but not a thrift store suit), while an ounce of silver should be able to buy a meal (perhaps not the nicest meal, however a satisfying meal).

Asking people who don't use social media because they can't figure the technology for advice on investments seems kinda o_O .

But I say avoid anything which falls under 'man toys' (exception: early muscle cars). New cartridges are constantly being developed, accuracy is increasing with new technology, firearms are getting lighter with increase capacity, etc. Most non-Fudd shooters want the latest and greatest. What recreational spending they have usually go towards the practical (I see the only saving grace for older collectable firearms being kept up by Fudds who can out spend the younger generation(s).)

Steady investments seems to be defined by the fairer sex. Precious metals will hold long term value. But jewelry (which it was originally mined for) is usually a better investment as it can be sold, at the very least, at melt value. The older the better. Present a vintage piece of jewelry to a lady and suddenly their focus is to have it in their hands. Immediately.

For decades I flipped for investment. SB941 put the end to that.
Investing is fine, but then you have to pay a FFL, pay the BGC, and wait.
Unless you are getting a few K on the sale to me its not worth it.

I see investing is making sure my family and kids get what I have.
And that I have them insured seems like a better investment.
I don't want my Grandkids trying to buy a firearm in this commey state.
As I know in their life time it will be a year long affair to even have one.

I cannot view guns as an investment in our current geopolitical environment. If I am making an investment, I do not want the political landscape to have a significant bearing on whether there is a secondary market or what the value of my assets are worth. I want the market to derive the asset value.

There is too much risk from political factions to feel good about calling firearms an asset. Perhaps I am jaded because I'm in Washington state, but that's my 2 cents!

Here's my take on firearms as investments, using my over 50 years of collecting, buying, and selling as a reference.
First off you need to become an expert at guns, and gun values. This is easier if you choose a specific type of firearm, or at least keep it to a certain firearms maker, and era of guns that interest you. Randomly picking guns to buy with no vested interest in the particular gun will result in mistakes, and mistakes will cost you money, not make money. It's better to be well educated on particular guns, and miss out on a bargain, than end up with a gun that's incorrect, not working right, and nobody else wants to buy from you!
I got some great advice when I started out almost 55 years ago. A gun dealer told me to buy books on guns I was interested in, and read them thoroughly, until I knew the guns well and could make educated purchases. That initial expenditure on books has saved me thousands of dollars, and made me plenty of money by knowing what to buy, or how much to pay.
Another issue is guys trying to buy guns strictly to turn for a quick profit. It rarely works out, unless you have a store front and can get those guns back on the market quickly. Plan on buying them right, and hanging onto them for a long time. At least 5 years, but better at a decade or more. A quick turn can be profitable on occasion, but only if you fall into a huge bargain.
I've bought guns in my area of collecting interest for the most part, and after 5-10 years sold some and gotten 4x-10x what I paid when I bought them. But I've been able to buy them right, or buy guns with small mechanical issues and fix them. So my investments in guns have done far better than my investments in stocks at the same time. But it's taken a lot of work to become well versed on a few types of guns, so I can decide quickly if any I see are worth investing hard earned money into before making an offer.
If you don't want to do all the work first, then avoid guns as an investment.

PS-I have always collected, traded, and bought/sold antique firearms. I've done so because unlike post 1898 firearms, there is no dealer involved, and buying and selling in almost every state in the USA only required the people involved to be over 18 yrs. old.
These days the investment in antique firearms makes even more sense, since those in power are constantly on the attack of our right to bear arms. Even antique class firearms may someday be their target, but I think they're still the safest firearms to invest in today.

Last Edited:
Buy guns if you enjoy and want to own guns. Not a great investment; some go up in value and some go down. In general, polymer frame guns tends to go down in value. My Sig and CZ all-metal pistols have gone up in value; not so with Glock and others.
Right now Tisas 1911 guns are a really good value due to the poor value of Turkish currency. I've bought a few new Tisas recently just because they're cheap and fun and really good quality, especially for the price. Have been thinking about getting their higher-end MAC model, but can't quite pull the trigger on the purchase since I've got a lot of money tied up in a customized Springfield. But this is a lot of gun for the dollar ($657.99 is the actual price):

Over the last couple of days I have change my mind on buying firearms as an investment. I still would not favor investing in firearms versus other more traditional financial investing. If you are like me and money burns holes in your pockets, then maybe consider this. In a scenario where a person is likely to "invest" their money on something fleeting like gambling, meals out, at the bar, on women, vacationing, etc, then maybe buying a firearm instead would be a better investment. Even if the firearm's value didn't keep up with inflation or depreciates, at least you still have a store of value worth something. If you are in this situation, try to buy firearms at their floor value so the risk of depreciation risk is minimized. Maybe you could make a deal with yourself that for every dollar you spend on firearm "investments", that you match it with a dollar of more traditional investment.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR