JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
.45Super. It's sort of a "magnum" .45ACP. The muzzle energy is between .357 and .41 Magnums but pushing a bigger bullet to make bigger holes. Since the cartridge is dimensionally identical to .45ACP guns that shoot Super can shoot ACP too. .45Super can make an autoloader quite versatile. I think it might have caught on and become mainstream if the copyrighted name weren't owned by a one-man shop.

.45Super. It's sort of a "magnum" .45ACP. The muzzle energy is between .357 and .41 Magnums but pushing a bigger bullet to make bigger holes. Since the cartridge is dimensionally identical to .45ACP guns that shoot Super can shoot ACP too. .45Super can make an autoloader quite versatile. I think it might have caught on and become mainstream if the copyrighted name weren't owned by a one-man shop.

I have a 1911 modified for 45 Super and I load it. Fun round if you already love 45 ACP. I also have a Mech Tech CCU chambered for 460 Rowland, now thats some horse power out of a 45 ACP like cartridge let me tell you. It is kind of amazing the untapped power in a lowly little 45 ACP size package. I load a nice little 185gr JHP that clocks at or very near 2000fps out of the 16.5" CCU barrel. Makes for a real nice shooting 100-150 yard gun BTW. No it won't compete with your 308 but it is plenty effective.

45-70 is mine. You can load for deer or Mack trucks....:s0114:
You can even use for a CCW if your arm is long enough too clear the holster with a BFR.

Another caliber I like really well is the .357 magnum. I have a Winchester Trapper carbine and a Ruger Police Service Six revolver in that caliber. This is a very good way to go - 2 guns, 1 caliber. The people of the American western frontier did this a lot
This caliber is very popular and is usually easy to find. You also can shoot .38 Special for practice. Hornady makes a "Flex Tip" load which is supposed to work well in carbines and extend the useful range of this cartridge. All in all, I think a person would do well to have this one in their collection.

I like a dose of history with my recreational shooting. I also like to roll my own. For those reasons the 50-90 Sharps is still my favorite.

I concur ogre! Myself, I prefer the .45 2 7/8" for range shooting and the .50 1 3/4" which is what I use for hunting! Nothing more satifising than ringing a steel buffalo with seven consecutive hits at a 1000 yards (my personal best) with the .45 2 7/8!" PM me sometime and tell me about your Big 50!

Powered by Goex!

cartridges1.jpg

Now I'm curious. What three rifles do you have that shoot 7.62x54r? Three different Mosin-Nagants?

The only rifles I'm aware of that shoot this caliber are the Mosin-Nagant, the Dragunov, Winchester 1895, and the SVT-40 (as well as various machine guns).

Not that there is anything wrong with owning three Mosin-Nagants, of course ;-)

An '08 PSL-54C, '42 M91/30, and a '47 M44. Still trying to get my hands on a damned TAC-85 or even a MTs-116M, though. I chose that round as my primary because I can get 18k of it for about 5k. That should pretty much last me a decade of plinking. Just have to pull bullets and load in soft points for hunting. I worked the numbers and it's cheaper for me to pull and reload mil-surp ammo to my rifle's specs than it is to start with bare brass.

EDIT: link to the TKIV-85: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.62_Tkiv_85

I will choose to say .40 cal. I have winchester Ranger T in the .40 cal. and I LOVE THEM. They are nice and nasty for self defense. If you can find some they are anywhere form $33-$36 per box of 50 :cigar:

This is like trying to choose a flavor of ice cream at Baskin Robbins! How can I possibly choose just one? The best I can do is to choose two - One rifle caliber and one pistol. For a rifle, I have to go with 30-06 with 308 a close second. For pistols it's no contest - I like 9mm. I grew up before the age of the "Wondernine" and the idea of packing 18 or 19 rounds flush fit in a semi auto still blows me away! The quality and reliability of modern semi autos is something we used to only dream about. I remember when only revolvers were carried because autos were considered to be unreliable.

This is like trying to choose a flavor of ice cream at Baskin Robbins! How can I possibly choose just one? The best I can do is to choose two - One rifle caliber and one pistol. For a rifle, I have to go with 30-06 with 308 a close second. For pistols it's no contest - I like 9mm. I grew up before the age of the "Wondernine" and the idea of packing 18 or 19 rounds flush fit in a semi auto still blows me away! The quality and reliability of modern semi autos is something we used to only dream about. I remember when only revolvers were carried because autos were considered to be unreliable.

I agree with you, smonk. I have all you mentioned and wouldn't want to be without any of them. I always tell anyone who will listen to "try to keep to the most common calibers.

Only one favorite cartridge?!?!?!?

Rifle it would be the 30-06, although I really do love my .375 Ruger and that's what I've been hunting with this year, just cuz I can.

Handgun? I'm a big .41 Mag AND .45ACP fan.

Unlike having a wife and a few girlfriends, it's OK that I love all of these!!!:s0114:

I have other guns .38 Special, .357 Mag, 30-30, .35 Rem and they are all great!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top