JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
.45Super. It's sort of a "magnum" .45ACP. The muzzle energy is between .357 and .41 Magnums but pushing a bigger bullet to make bigger holes. Since the cartridge is dimensionally identical to .45ACP guns that shoot Super can shoot ACP too. .45Super can make an autoloader quite versatile. I think it might have caught on and become mainstream if the copyrighted name weren't owned by a one-man shop.

.45Super. It's sort of a "magnum" .45ACP. The muzzle energy is between .357 and .41 Magnums but pushing a bigger bullet to make bigger holes. Since the cartridge is dimensionally identical to .45ACP guns that shoot Super can shoot ACP too. .45Super can make an autoloader quite versatile. I think it might have caught on and become mainstream if the copyrighted name weren't owned by a one-man shop.

I have a 1911 modified for 45 Super and I load it. Fun round if you already love 45 ACP. I also have a Mech Tech CCU chambered for 460 Rowland, now thats some horse power out of a 45 ACP like cartridge let me tell you. It is kind of amazing the untapped power in a lowly little 45 ACP size package. I load a nice little 185gr JHP that clocks at or very near 2000fps out of the 16.5" CCU barrel. Makes for a real nice shooting 100-150 yard gun BTW. No it won't compete with your 308 but it is plenty effective.

45-70 is mine. You can load for deer or Mack trucks....:s0114:
You can even use for a CCW if your arm is long enough too clear the holster with a BFR.

Another caliber I like really well is the .357 magnum. I have a Winchester Trapper carbine and a Ruger Police Service Six revolver in that caliber. This is a very good way to go - 2 guns, 1 caliber. The people of the American western frontier did this a lot
This caliber is very popular and is usually easy to find. You also can shoot .38 Special for practice. Hornady makes a "Flex Tip" load which is supposed to work well in carbines and extend the useful range of this cartridge. All in all, I think a person would do well to have this one in their collection.

I like a dose of history with my recreational shooting. I also like to roll my own. For those reasons the 50-90 Sharps is still my favorite.

I concur ogre! Myself, I prefer the .45 2 7/8" for range shooting and the .50 1 3/4" which is what I use for hunting! Nothing more satifising than ringing a steel buffalo with seven consecutive hits at a 1000 yards (my personal best) with the .45 2 7/8!" PM me sometime and tell me about your Big 50!

Powered by Goex!

cartridges1.jpg

Now I'm curious. What three rifles do you have that shoot 7.62x54r? Three different Mosin-Nagants?

The only rifles I'm aware of that shoot this caliber are the Mosin-Nagant, the Dragunov, Winchester 1895, and the SVT-40 (as well as various machine guns).

Not that there is anything wrong with owning three Mosin-Nagants, of course ;-)

An '08 PSL-54C, '42 M91/30, and a '47 M44. Still trying to get my hands on a damned TAC-85 or even a MTs-116M, though. I chose that round as my primary because I can get 18k of it for about 5k. That should pretty much last me a decade of plinking. Just have to pull bullets and load in soft points for hunting. I worked the numbers and it's cheaper for me to pull and reload mil-surp ammo to my rifle's specs than it is to start with bare brass.

EDIT: link to the TKIV-85: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.62_Tkiv_85

I will choose to say .40 cal. I have winchester Ranger T in the .40 cal. and I LOVE THEM. They are nice and nasty for self defense. If you can find some they are anywhere form $33-$36 per box of 50 :cigar:

This is like trying to choose a flavor of ice cream at Baskin Robbins! How can I possibly choose just one? The best I can do is to choose two - One rifle caliber and one pistol. For a rifle, I have to go with 30-06 with 308 a close second. For pistols it's no contest - I like 9mm. I grew up before the age of the "Wondernine" and the idea of packing 18 or 19 rounds flush fit in a semi auto still blows me away! The quality and reliability of modern semi autos is something we used to only dream about. I remember when only revolvers were carried because autos were considered to be unreliable.

This is like trying to choose a flavor of ice cream at Baskin Robbins! How can I possibly choose just one? The best I can do is to choose two - One rifle caliber and one pistol. For a rifle, I have to go with 30-06 with 308 a close second. For pistols it's no contest - I like 9mm. I grew up before the age of the "Wondernine" and the idea of packing 18 or 19 rounds flush fit in a semi auto still blows me away! The quality and reliability of modern semi autos is something we used to only dream about. I remember when only revolvers were carried because autos were considered to be unreliable.

I agree with you, smonk. I have all you mentioned and wouldn't want to be without any of them. I always tell anyone who will listen to "try to keep to the most common calibers.

Only one favorite cartridge?!?!?!?

Rifle it would be the 30-06, although I really do love my .375 Ruger and that's what I've been hunting with this year, just cuz I can.

Handgun? I'm a big .41 Mag AND .45ACP fan.

Unlike having a wife and a few girlfriends, it's OK that I love all of these!!!:s0114:

I have other guns .38 Special, .357 Mag, 30-30, .35 Rem and they are all great!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top