JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
All exterior doors at my place open outwards to counter kick-ins, and my (future) garage (with outward swinging entry doors) is detached from the house... :)
Not bad, but there are a number of issues to consider:

1) Some building codes require different handling of an outward swinging door on ingress/egress points. Not saying that the code prohibits it, but there are issues when there are steps down, etc.

2) while the door may be more secure with regards to kick-ins, you also have to make sure you have the right kind of hinges to prevent easy removal of the door.

3) An outward swinging door can often be blocked from the outside, preventing you from leaving by that door. Snow and mud can cause problems too. Of course, if you have an outward swinging storm door like I do, then you still have that problem. Some kind of overhanging covering for an entrance/exit is good to mitigate the snow problem and keep rain/snow off you while unlocking the door.

4) Unless you have really strong storm windows, someone breaking into the house can just come in through the windows which are easier to defeat than a door.

My next house will have a "mudroom" kind of entrance:

Front_entrance3-1024x724-940x664.jpg

Any windows in it will be "hardened" to prevent breaking in via the window, and be one way such that I can see out but no one can see in. The outer door will swing out, the inner door swings in. Both will be security doors with a security frame. The whole affair will serve as a mudroom and as an airlock to prevent escape of heat/etc.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top