JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I installed a dead bolt on the door from my house into the garage with the key side in the house and the lever/knob side in the garage. The solid core fire rated door opens into the house and can't be kicked open from the house side. Simply walk through the door turn the dead bolt latch and pull the power cord to the garage door opener. (no one can use the door opener from the vehicle outside to open the overhead door) Loaded 12 ga and cell phone hidden out there as well as a stocked fridge. The family likes the simple safety option.

I installed a dead bolt on the door from my house into the garage with the key side in the house and the lever/knob side in the garage. The solid core fire rated door opens into the house and can't be kicked open from the house side. Simply walk through the door turn the dead bolt latch and pull the power cord to the garage door opener. (no one can use the door opener from the vehicle outside to open the overhead door) Loaded 12 ga and cell phone hidden out there as well as a stocked fridge. The family likes the simple safety option.

Being that most home break in crime takes place at night, do you have easy access to the garage from your bedroom? Same for your kids? Any chance you will bump into the bad guys on the way?

tb

The 2 story house is alarmed at night. Our bedroom has a dead bolt. Both of our adult kids have their own firearms. I'm not worried about night time.

Why would you put yourself in possible contact with intruders by opening the door and trying to back out of the garage? Without windows in the garage how would you know if the driveway is clear?
This option is for when someone is downstairs and the front door gets kicked in.

Miss the part about the 12ga in the garage?
Miss the part about someone shooting into the garage from the outside?

In the garage, the thin metal door provides no cover. Also, you generally cannot see who is outside shooting into the garage through that door, or where they are. What are you going to do - blindly shoot out through the door?:rolleyes: If you were outside said door shooting in, would you stand directly outside the door while shooting, or would you take cover and then shoot?

I can roll a car into the door without having to be in the car. If you are like most other people in the USA, you don't park your car in your garage, you park it in the driveway. If the driveway slopes down into the garage, like many do, all I have to do is break a window, take the car out of gear and release the brake, letting it roll into and through the door.

I have seen first hand just how easy it is to bash in a rollup garage door. They are not made to be strong, but rather to be convenient and provide some privacy from someone outside seeing into the garage. As such, they are flimsy and easily defeated.

Here in my town they had a rash of automatic garage door opening by thieves that used a universal opener and would open most doors. You would wake in the morning to find your door open. I put an alarm on mine that is physical and loud, door goes up the noise starts. I have to remove the alarm when I use the door. I unplug the door when I am gone.o_O

The Heretic has a good point and forgot that most garages aren't finished so you may not have the second layer of material (sheetrock or insulation) to slow down bullets.
Now ......
Miss the part about the 12ga in the garage?
why would you have to leave any room if this part is true?

The only saving grace of most modern day garages is there is soooo much BS piled in them you may have a good barrier to hide behind,if you don't trip while running in.
Otherwise I would say ,primarily because of the door,the garage isn't much of a safe room.

Takes a lot of sheet rock to stop a bullet.

The fact that still seems to be ignored here, is that people are getting close enough to attempt entry. I know in urban situations this is fairly easy, and beams and cameras would be a requirement. 3 of my kids live in town and all have beams and cameras. I have multiple wireless infra red beams on my property, that catch the driveways, and some other open areas. They set off a chime in the house. The chime sets off the Aussie and Shepard, and get a bit closer and the intruder will trip the security lights. So they know they have to deal with at least 3 or more defenders, and my wife will take up a secondary position, from the secondary story. If you come to my door at night, unexpected and uninvited, you will get a very bright flash light in your eyes, and behind that light most likely a gun is pointed at you, and you will be forcefully interviewed to state your business quickly.

The cameras pick it up at that time, and I know who is there before they get close to the house. I am going to install an intercom so I can issue commands from inside if need be. Knowing what the scope of the threat is is very key to reacting properly to and defending from it. Blind inside a garage is a huge tactical disadvantage. Someone intent on harm puts about 1 magazine in the garage through the door and it is all over.

I am not a fan of panic rooms, and unless you have a secondary security structure in your garage, they are one of the most vulnerable places on your property, especially if they introduce fire into the equation.

I get where your coming from Bellarum. Makes a good rally point. However, I have always seen the garage as a soft entry point. The garage door opener in your car is just a broken window away and the door to your garage is the real barrier. I lock the door to the garage every night.

Well then you're an exception. I find it hard to believe that crooks go around looking for cars with manual transmissions as their criteria for the location. But that 's just me.

Panic Rooms, in general, can't defeat fire! Just my $0.02!

Having the term panic in your vocabulary in relation to anything you are doing means you are reacting to a situation in a uncontrolled manner rather than controlling the situation. Sit in a room and wait for a threat to go away or for some one to come help you out ?? I don't think so.

Never let the threat get that close and if they do, take the fight to them and win with your superior skill and tactics, and gear. Spend the money you would spend on a "panic" room on more guns, ammo, cameras or other security gear. Much better value.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top