Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Easy panic room

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by bellarum, Nov 23, 2014.

1. bellarum

bellarum beaverton Well-Known Member

I installed a dead bolt on the door from my house into the garage with the key side in the house and the lever/knob side in the garage. The solid core fire rated door opens into the house and can't be kicked open from the house side. Simply walk through the door turn the dead bolt latch and pull the power cord to the garage door opener. (no one can use the door opener from the vehicle outside to open the overhead door) Loaded 12 ga and cell phone hidden out there as well as a stocked fridge. The family likes the simple safety option.

308 and belcher like this.
  2. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

Garage doors, at least the roll up kind, are very easy to shoot through, easy to kick in if you know how and very easy to bust in with a car. The rollers on them come right off with a really good kick/impact.

Riot, Stomper, CoastRange57 and 2 others like this.
  3. Got2gohuntin

Got2gohuntin Happy valley Active Member

Not to be an bubblegum. But I'd be more panicked in your panic room. You just locked yourself into a room that's easy to get into and hard to get out of. If a threat remains outside.

solv3nt and mjbskwim like this.
  4. Trailboss

Trailboss Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Being that most home break in crime takes place at night, do you have easy access to the garage from your bedroom? Same for your kids? Any chance you will bump into the bad guys on the way?

tb

5. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Why not get in the car, open the garage door and drive away leaving the bad guy(s) behind.

6. bellarum

The 2 story house is alarmed at night. Our bedroom has a dead bolt. Both of our adult kids have their own firearms. I'm not worried about night time.

Why would you put yourself in possible contact with intruders by opening the door and trying to back out of the garage? Without windows in the garage how would you know if the driveway is clear?
    This option is for when someone is downstairs and the front door gets kicked in.

7. bellarum

Miss the part about the 12ga in the garage?

8. Medic!

Medic! What just happened? Has eagle eyes. But cant remember what he saw. Bronze Supporter

The room I'm in at the time is my panic room. And I'm not the one panicking. ;)

Stomper and CoastRange57 like this.
  9. The Heretic

Miss the part about someone shooting into the garage from the outside?

In the garage, the thin metal door provides no cover. Also, you generally cannot see who is outside shooting into the garage through that door, or where they are. What are you going to do - blindly shoot out through the door?:rolleyes: If you were outside said door shooting in, would you stand directly outside the door while shooting, or would you take cover and then shoot?

I can roll a car into the door without having to be in the car. If you are like most other people in the USA, you don't park your car in your garage, you park it in the driveway. If the driveway slopes down into the garage, like many do, all I have to do is break a window, take the car out of gear and release the brake, letting it roll into and through the door.

I have seen first hand just how easy it is to bash in a rollup garage door. They are not made to be strong, but rather to be convenient and provide some privacy from someone outside seeing into the garage. As such, they are flimsy and easily defeated.

CoastRange57 likes this.
  10. Just Jim

Just Jim Well-Known Member

Here in my town they had a rash of automatic garage door opening by thieves that used a universal opener and would open most doors. You would wake in the morning to find your door open. I put an alarm on mine that is physical and loud, door goes up the noise starts. I have to remove the alarm when I use the door. I unplug the door when I am gone.o_O

11. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

The Heretic has a good point and forgot that most garages aren't finished so you may not have the second layer of material (sheetrock or insulation) to slow down bullets.
    Now ......
    why would you have to leave any room if this part is true?

The only saving grace of most modern day garages is there is soooo much BS piled in them you may have a good barrier to hide behind,if you don't trip while running in.
    Otherwise I would say ,primarily because of the door,the garage isn't much of a safe room.

DMcGPNW likes this.
  12. CoastRange57

CoastRange57 Western Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Takes a lot of sheet rock to stop a bullet.

The fact that still seems to be ignored here, is that people are getting close enough to attempt entry. I know in urban situations this is fairly easy, and beams and cameras would be a requirement. 3 of my kids live in town and all have beams and cameras. I have multiple wireless infra red beams on my property, that catch the driveways, and some other open areas. They set off a chime in the house. The chime sets off the Aussie and Shepard, and get a bit closer and the intruder will trip the security lights. So they know they have to deal with at least 3 or more defenders, and my wife will take up a secondary position, from the secondary story. If you come to my door at night, unexpected and uninvited, you will get a very bright flash light in your eyes, and behind that light most likely a gun is pointed at you, and you will be forcefully interviewed to state your business quickly.

The cameras pick it up at that time, and I know who is there before they get close to the house. I am going to install an intercom so I can issue commands from inside if need be. Knowing what the scope of the threat is is very key to reacting properly to and defending from it. Blind inside a garage is a huge tactical disadvantage. Someone intent on harm puts about 1 magazine in the garage through the door and it is all over.

I am not a fan of panic rooms, and unless you have a secondary security structure in your garage, they are one of the most vulnerable places on your property, especially if they introduce fire into the equation.

mjbskwim likes this.
  13. DMcGPNW

DMcGPNW SW WA Member

I get where your coming from Bellarum. Makes a good rally point. However, I have always seen the garage as a soft entry point. The garage door opener in your car is just a broken window away and the door to your garage is the real barrier. I lock the door to the garage every night.

14. PiratePast40

PiratePast40 Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

I'm sure there are many old vehicles out there, but most modern cars have an interlock between the ignition and the gear selector. ;)

mjbskwim likes this.
  15. The Heretic

I have three vehicles, a '92 pickup, a '97 truck and a 2004 car.

All are manuals.

All have a locking steering wheel.

None of them lock the manual transmission when the steering wheel is locked.

16. PiratePast40

PiratePast40 Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

Well then you're an exception. I find it hard to believe that crooks go around looking for cars with manual transmissions as their criteria for the location. But that 's just me.

17. The Heretic

Just saying, not everybody drives an automatic.

Also, it wouldn't take much to defeat the steering wheel lock - a hammer and a screwdriver usually get the job done.

18. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Panic Rooms, in general, can't defeat fire! Just my $0.02!

CoastRange57 likes this.
  19. CoastRange57

CoastRange57 Western Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Having the term panic in your vocabulary in relation to anything you are doing means you are reacting to a situation in a uncontrolled manner rather than controlling the situation. Sit in a room and wait for a threat to go away or for some one to come help you out ?? I don't think so.

Never let the threat get that close and if they do, take the fight to them and win with your superior skill and tactics, and gear. Spend the money you would spend on a "panic" room on more guns, ammo, cameras or other security gear. Much better value.

forefathersrback and Sgt Nambu like this.
  20. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

All exterior doors at my place open outwards to counter kick-ins, and my (future) garage (with outward swinging entry doors) is detached from the house... :)