JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Bottom Line: Rapidly Rising Fuel Prices Put Sluggish Economic Growth at Risk.

Not according to Obama. :s0114:
Obama: Rising Gas Prices Means The Economy Is Strengthening | RealClearPolitics

The lady in the corner house that bought $30k in freeze dried food because she believes martial law will kick in at any time. Then she moves into right next to a Capitol building to keep an eye on things.

Yeeeeah, I get the feeling she didn't really think all of that through..... I think she also said she spent like 30k in the last year and 50k total. Besides the moving next door to Obama to feel safer nonsense, the parts I liked were:

"I don't have a gun. I'm a girl, I'm feminine lol, I'm not supposed to love guns, right?!" Wait a minute.... I think I need 200 yard sniper training "so I can keep people as far away as I needed to"....... to defend my 1800 sq ft apartment in the middle of a crowded city".....:confused:

And, prepping "has prevented me from being in a long-term relationship. When I'm not in school I spend all day everyday prepping. That's all I do." I bet she has cats too. :p

The women on this show....... 56809-escape-coin-locker-room-facepalm.gif

So they can hit stationary targets with scoped rifles, make gourmet dehydrated meals, and are expert worriers, but none of them have any basic or practical life/survival skills. They can't make fire, they can't build shelter (or anything as far as I can tell), they can't hunt, they can't seem to figure out how get or replenish safe drinking water (or any other necessity) without buying it, and most of them can't reasonably protect themselves.

The guys eating concrete salads, gopher roadkill, and crawling around in spider holes might look crazy but I'm positive that each is better equipped to survive than all of the women on this show combined.

Ok, pandemic lady takes the cake. She's the weirdest and most paranoid of the bunch imo. I think it's her hypochondria that went viral. :s0114:

Anyone notice that 'the experts' on this show think all of the other scenarios are unlikely, with the exception of a pandemic? Thoughts?

I hate it. This show feels like its meant to showcase circus freaks to the general public and then smooth over any possibility of the event ever occurring.

O\

I don't know if I would phrase it like that but they sure as heck don't portray Preppers as mainstream. And while we are at it, who in the hell are the experts and what makes them experts?

OK the mobile prepper trucker guy and Pandemic Pam were just a little to close to requiring therapy for me.

$1500.00 for camo netting to make his 80 ft long 8' wide 12' tall truck hide was just a joke.

The idea that should a Pandemic happen that you would need to quickly get into you plastic suit is silly. A pandemic will either get you before they know its here or you will have the government and the news talking about it until they drop dead.

One of the best comedies I have seen in a long time.
I agree. The show is idiotic with the not so subtle undertaking of making a laughing stock of the people they are highlighting. It 'dumbs down' the entire concept of prepping and in my opinion ties in a negative portrayal of gun ownership.

It doesn't happen often (lol), but I agree with 90% of the comments here. Nice to see people see past the obvious manipulations.

Hopefully people will see that they need to understand that the people who have firmly resisted warnings to prep (often your close friends and family) are not stupid, dumb, etc. They have been thoroughly deceived by crap like this and are in a state of delusion. There is a big difference.

When you tell a friend about storing away a little food, or prepping on some level and get a blank stare. You are competing against constant, unrelenting boob tube programming. Your 15 minute talk, not matter how much it is based in fact, cannot compete with that in most cases. A message of COMFORT is what is always accepted. Your message is not comforting.

What's weird to me is that in the 60's had you walked into my grandmothers house. You would have found easily a months worth of food in the pantry and kitchen cupboards. She had hundreds of mason jars with everything from evergreen berry jelly to rubbarb and green beans. Granted they didn't have the meat that we store now. But still they kept a good pantry. Now days we know people who if they want to ake dinner they have to stop by the store.

What's weird to me is that in the 60's had you walked into my grandmothers house. You would have found easily a months worth of food in the pantry and kitchen cupboards. She had hundreds of mason jars with everything from evergreen berry jelly to rubbarb and green beans. Granted they didn't have the meat that we store now. But still they kept a good pantry. Now days we know people who if they want to ake dinner they have to stop by the store.

Same here. I was raised by Grandparents that grew up in the 30's. So growing and making much of your own, extending your dollar and buying in bulk less frequently instead of paying extra for daily convenience, making use of everything, and putting plenty away for a rainy day isn't unusual to me. It was, and still is a way of life for my family. Not because we're crazy, but because it's insurance. In case someone loses a job, someone is injured and can't work for a period of time, there's a natural disaster, or just anything that would prevent you from being able to get to the store for basic necessities. Having just enough for one day or a couple days is like living paycheck to paycheck imo. Wouldn't be comfortable for me.

I'd like to think the lack of foresightedness in preparing is a modern day phenomena. But I wonder if that is right. The previous generations in our family had well-stocked pantries, grew and canned food, etc., but they were mostly rural and small town families living here in the west. I'm curious what was done by folks living in the populated eastern cities? My guess is their mindset (and capabilities) were more in tune with the average unprepared American today. Right? Wrong? Anyone know?

Exactly Bunny, On grandpa and dads place (they were on 3.5 acres right next to each other)

We had

Sheep for a while raised for wool which was sold
Chickens for eggs
Turkeys to eat
Apple trees
Cherry trees
Apricot tree
Concord Grapes
Rubarb
Blackberrys
Evergreen berries
crab apples
both Dad and Grandpa had big gardens. I would say both were close to 50 x 50 ft sq.

And since we lived in farm country everything from local Strawberries to Prunes to Bluelake Pole beans and fresh milk from our uncles family dairy.

Everything got ate in season and canned for winter.
Dad hunted and most years got at least on blacktail deer some years two and then as soon as we were old enough each of us 3 boys also hunted.

Dad even canned an Antelope one year and mom made our school lunch sandwiches out of that horrid crap. Nothing went to waste.

No doubt a better time when families lived in close proximity to one another, shared land, skills, food etc. You still see it but not nearly as much with families splitting up sooner and not staying in the same area.

I'd like to think the lack of foresightedness in preparing is a modern day phenomena. But I wonder if that is right. The previous generations in our family had well-stocked pantries, grew and canned food, etc., but they were mostly rural and small town families living here in the west. I'm curious what was done by folks living in the populated eastern cities? My guess is their mindset (and capabilities) were more in tune with the average unprepared American today. Right? Wrong? Anyone know?

I kinda wonder the same. Makes me wonder how city dwellers fared during the great depression, and how motivated and/or able they were to prep before and after it. I tend to agree with you and think that city people back then are pretty much like city people now though.

People who live in more rural and isolated places in the world learned a long time ago that they can't afford not to be prepared, for anything. For the most part, they're on their own. And generations after them who live the same way, think the same way, and do the same things to ensure their survival and comfort of living. They've learned self-sufficiency and conditioned themselves for it. Now it's second nature to them.

I think the same goes for people living in an urban city (at any point in history). City dwellers aren't completely alone, they have the conveniences and luxuries that come with living within a group, and probably grow accustomed to (and even rely on) having others around to help or provide for them. Or they're at least comforted by the idea of it. They aren't really faced with the same challenges to maintain their way of life that more isolated people are, and because of that, they probably never plan to face those challenges. They never had to do many things on their own. Certain skills are no longer practiced, or they are no longer taught because most tasks and skill sets have been compartmentalized and specialized within the community. They no longer have to know how to do everything because they rest on the fact that there is someone else that does. They don't actively condition themselves to be self-reliant, but have instead conditioned themselves to be complacent and dependent. And they've been comfortable and taken care of for so long that they probably don't give much thought to a backup plan or alternative to that. Most will probably never consider that at some point in their life, they may be alone with no one to help them. They probably also don't have a lot of time to learn certain skills and money to buy supplies, because the cost of living in a city is higher, so you work more for less living (storage) space. They're working harder for money to buy things that they can't realistically produce enough of in their city, like food. Pretty much all of their time and resources go into maintaining that city way of life. And I think for the most part, that's how cities will always work.

But I think some people are becoming more aware of their over-dependence on each other and are trying to become a little more self-sufficient. However, I think this new awareness is caused more by fear, and not so much the idea of personal freedom through independence (which is a better mindset imo). I think for the majority, it'll be a phase that's short lived and they'll go back to doing things the easy way.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top