JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I guess prepping for a SHTF scenario is becoming more mainstream, and National Geographic has created a TV series about it. Anyone else seen this? Thoughts?

<broken link removed>

<broken link removed>

I seen the commercials and I will probably check it out but I would imagine that most real "preppers" dont want the entire nation knowing how well prepared they are which leads me to believe it is all fake like the rest of "reality TV.

they actually had a few episodes of this show last year. i'm pumped it's back. it's a really good show with tonssss of info. these people are not fakes and you can definitely tell. sure there are some weird ideas and ideology but when it comes down to it, prepping is prepping. i would encourage everybody to atleast give it a chance

Haven't seen it but it's pretty funny to hear about it after being a nearly life long prepper and hearing that I was "crazy" for stocking up on ammo, food storage and other goodies from the media and the few people I talked to about it

My gal tells me we have always been ahead of the pack

The whole "Doomsday" part is the turn off. No, most preppers aren't hiding under a table waiting for a nuke to fall or an EMP to blast.

Most are aware, however, that the economy is on the brink of total collapse and THAT is what they are prepping for; 'Doomsday' sounds something more dramatic. Dramatic, or better yet, just very improbable.

The economic implosion and collapse/hyperinflation of the dollar is on the other hand not only probable it is inevitable and cannot be stopped. Those who do not prepare for something that is coming based on the factual evidence, without a doubt, are the real fools in the equation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know - reality shows are usually all about drama and hype, and not so much about reality. The cynical bastard in me thinks that these people will be made out to be kooks and fanatics, and the idea of preparing for catastrophe will be scoffed at or mocked. Hope I'm wrong.

The two shows they showed of this last fall were nothing like the Sons of Guns Housewives of Jersey Shores reality shows. It was much more along the lines of a National Geographic documetary on these people and their lives as it involves prepping. As to the idea that people would know where the people lived etc. The only references to location were so vauge as to be of no help in finding them. I seriously doubt being on the show puts these people at risk outside the people who would recognize them by looking at them.

hearing that I was "crazy" for stocking up on ammo, food storage and other goodies
The problem is TV has a way of 'legitimizing' issues that normally would get criticized when the average Joe is doing it but make a reality show out of it and suddenly it's cool and ok to do. Or it's ok for 'them' to do but you are crazy for doing [it]. TV creates double standards between what is on the screen and what is real.

It's funny, preppers used to be tin foil hat types and now it is mainstream realism. Gosh, who'd a thunk it. Might ask your self if more people prep will it drag out the end game.

jj

It's funny, preppers used to be tin foil hat types and now it is mainstream realism. Gosh, who'd a thunk it. Might ask your self if more people prep will it drag out the end game.

jj

It could or like a guy I work with said, as long as i know who has guns who doesn't I know where my extended food pantry is.

BTW, he got that saying from a dputy sheriff he knows.

I saw the pilot shows they were ok, some of the people seemed a little odd, but they had to mix it up, I actually picked up a couple of good ideas. but like someone else mention above i would not even want my neighbors to know how much and what I have, you will every neighbor, there relatives and coworkers knocking on your door. the people know I prep know to bring skills, or useables, a few who have been really good to me, I will help some, but most of them I have already go them pointed in the right direction and started there prepping. So it would be good for to combine resources, skills and 24/7 security.

I thought it was fun to watch, I did pick up a few things mostly keeping in mind this is ENTERTAINMENT. The folks may be preppers and may be for real but the editing is all around ENTERTAINMENT and selling advertising and inventing drama.

lol, wow, just watched the show tonight, and well, I think I will continue NOT preparring. If the Big 1 hits, may god help us and if Its our time, my fiance and I both have said, "Gods Will" who are we to deny that. I think we will continue to make the best of every day we live, 1 day at a time and enjoy it. Good luck to everyone who does not agree with me.

the best person on the show was the fat women who is stockpiling cocoa and bronie mix, lol....then she says when people are dieing and starving, I will be good to go because I have over 100 pounds to loose, but I plan on eating good. Bulk up momma!

Hollywood always on drama, a buddy lived in Kuwait for a years and he said the Kuwaits drove like fools, he asked them why their attitude "Allah's will be done" preeping disaster or bad times is no different than preparing your auto for cross country trip, prepare it knowing that what you are doing can and will be used, maybe not know but in time, best insurance I know of know is one that pays back in full and that is what my pantry does,

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top