JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I kinda wonder the same. Makes me wonder how city dwellers fared during the great depression, and how motivated and/or able they were to prep before and after it. I tend to agree with you and think that city people back then are pretty much like city people now though.

They stood in bread and soup lines blocks long waiting to be fed.

Good points. Whether urban, suburban, small town, or rural, each has its unique challenges as well as strengths. That is why I'm not willing to write off any one of them as hopeless during a crisis situation. We like to write our own scripts as to how things will play out, but in doing so we just about always write it in a way that ensures victory for us and failure for those that don't follow our particular script & plan. That isn't how it works in the real world.

It doesn't happen often (lol), but I agree with 90% of the comments here. Nice to see people see past the obvious manipulations.

Hopefully people will see that they need to understand that the people who have firmly resisted warnings to prep (often your close friends and family) are not stupid, dumb, etc. They have been thoroughly deceived by crap like this and are in a state of delusion. There is a big difference.

When you tell a friend about storing away a little food, or prepping on some level and get a blank stare. You are competing against constant, unrelenting boob tube programming. Your 15 minute talk, not matter how much it is based in fact, cannot compete with that in most cases. A message of COMFORT is what is always accepted. Your message is not comforting.

See, what's funny to me is that prepping IS comforting to me...

Wow its been a while since I posted on this.. I did take the time today to read everyone posts and I really enjoy hearing you all weigh in on it.. My perception..

1. Its TV.. no matter what’s on TV.. NOTHING is raw.. Everything is edited or cut together in some way to make you feel some way about whatever is being reported.. Generally speaking if there is “music” or “sound effects” in the footage.. its been edited.. but I have to say that it did not take long for media outlets to add suspenseful music to the footage of the Japan earthquake as they were replaying it..

2. The show DOES offer some education to it.. I have to say that I do learn something new that I can put into practice on every show.. I also learn something NOT to do.. If you are like me and learn well visually as long as you keep in mind your watching TV you can really take in some good info.. Other shows to watch that DO have good skills learning components of them.
a. Dual survival – Discovery – available on Netflix - Dual Survival : Discovery Channel
b. The colony – Discovery Channel – available on Netflix - <broken link removed>
c. Independence USA – Glen Beck Chan - <broken link removed>
d. If you are looking for a GREAT collection of YOUTUBE videos.. check out Survival.tv

3. Back to Doomsday Preppers.. There was a video put out by the guys at Dirttime.com with Christopher Nyerges the crazy guy who was just going to walk around LA after a megaquake.. What I did not know was that Christopher Nyerges is actually the owner of a wilderness survival school, a school which he was hoping was going to get more business at after being on the show.. He portrays a very different view of the production process and his views on being prepared and using his skills in a survival situation.. I encourage you to watch the following video. doomsday preppers the Real Dirttime Story - YouTube
[video=youtube_share;EgQD4DuK81k]http://youtu.be/EgQD4DuK81k [/video]

So I am enjoying the show.. but I am not forgetting the fact that it is TV..
Thank you all for your support..
-Joshua

Also don’t forget its Member Appreciation month at our store check our post for a printable coupon for NWF members.. <broken link removed>

Like I said most of the Preppers are selling something
in Whitely Striber's War Day There are no Preppers in the book because he figured they'd all be in hiding or dead.

Theres a new show airing on the Discovery Channel next Wednesday @ 10pm called Doomsday Bunkers... It looks like it is going to be very similar to Doomsday Preppers, but more focused on their, well, bunkers. ;)

I take these shows with a grain of salt, and I think of them as what they are...Entertainment that I may or may not learn something from. I make my hubby watch with me so I can say "See, Im not THAT crazy" or "Arent you glad Im not like her/him". I like to think of it like its Portlandia...Kind of a prepper satire in a way. Like it or not, this is how a lot of people see us, why not get some entertainment out of it?

Last year Discovery Channel did a 2 hour? show on 2012 it featured the Missle Silo Man and his wife and kid, in the footage they showed the silo was just a stripped out shell w/ no living quarters so he must have sold some units in that period of time.

People who live in more rural and isolated places in the world learned a long time ago that they can't afford not to be prepared
Unfortunately most were not. Do some research on Depression Era America and you will find rural people were for the most part worse off than city. Steinbeck was pretty close even though most his stories were fictitious.

People were more moral and decent back then. I'm afraid that society today would not be as kind to one another as they were back then if things really got bad.

I agree with you. I think of it like driving in the snow, I'm not worried about how well I'm going to drive, its all the other idiots on the road that scare me ;)

I don't need to prep- I just need enough food to tide me over until I find one of the morons on the show that doesn't believe in weapons, kill them and their family and keep their stuff...I watch the show as pure entertainment. Prepping has it's place- and the editors of the show strive to make the people on the show look like the biggest whack job's as possible because its more entertaining that way.

I don't need to prep- I just need enough food to tide me over until I find one of the morons on the show that doesn't believe in weapons, kill them and their family and keep their stuff...I watch the show as pure entertainment. Prepping has it's place- and the editors of the show strive to make the people on the show look like the biggest whack job's as possible because its more entertaining that way.

So you will murder innocent people in order to eat? Nice ethics there, pal

Well I'm not one of them. I thought the Idea of someone's prep strategy being to find some morons several states away who did prep and then go on a tv show, to track them down and jack them up was humorous. To me anyway

Well I'm not one of them. I thought the Idea of someone's prep strategy being to find some morons several states away who did prep and then go on a tv show, to track them down and jack them up was humorous. To me anyway

A few here have actually said they will just go Mad Max on their neighbors. I say they will be among the first to eat hot metal because, typical for egotists they underestimate the competition

Many homes in the North West own a firearm. Usually a high power hunting rifle capable of long distance shots. Many that don't own a firearm know where to get one, such as a friend or family member.
Bottom line is this: Many people will be armed, making the looters job very risky.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top