JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, things have changed a bit since this thread was started and I posted.
I still have that old Colt. Just can't part with it.
The Ruger 375 went away in a trade for a beautiful Pre-64 Winchester Mod 70 that I don't use. It's "place" in life is my backup hunting rifle. Ya know, just in case. However, it's a valuable gun and I've often considered parting with it and my old Three Screw Blackhawk 41 Mag. it doesn't hurt if they just sit there, but I'm more of a "user" than a collector. I have that safe queen Colt that can satisfy my urges for fondling...
I recently sold a couple of guns that I'd been hanging onto, but had no need for them.
Financially things aren't as good at this house as in the past, and I'm turning the "extra" guns into cash to stash before I may need.
But I did just buy a 10-22. My grandson is getting very close to the age that we would be wanting one. Some things are important.:)

That's a good idea - to stash the cash.

It takes a while to sell some guns, so if you think you may need it and don't have a large stash of it, then it is better to do it early than late. That way you can be patient for the decent to good offers and don't feel guilty about not taking the bad offers, and then later when you really need the cash again don't feel guilty for being desperate and accepting the bad offers.

I don't have to sell my AR50, but there were a few months there when my cash on hand (without hitting the Roth IRA) got down to paycheck to paycheck because of how much money I put into home improvements this summer. I have built it back up now, but it is still less than I am used to so the AR50 is still for sale. After the first of the year the price will go back to $3K - so buy now - only 39 days until Xmas! :D

My brilliant polished 6" Colt python.
It's been shot exactly 12 times. 6 by the original owner and 6 by me.
It just sits in the safe gaining value, which is a crying shame considering what a great pistol it is to shoot.
Every time my nephew stops by to visit me, the first thing he reaches for out of my gun safe is that Python.
I once told him that if anything happens to me, he could pick any gun out of my safe for his own.
I think the waiting is driving him a little crazy.

... Every time my nephew stops by to visit me, the first thing he reaches for out of my gun safe is that Python.
I once told him that if anything happens to me, he could pick any gun out of my safe for his own.
I think the waiting is driving him a little crazy.

No kidding Jbett. Not just guns, but toys in general - my son's gonna have to be just a little bit giddy when I stop sucking air.

I should do like a couple of my friends and spend the rest of my life decluttering and "simplifying" so I'm down to a guitar, a rifle and a rice bowl. Then he'll be appropriately sad when I pass. Mwhahahaha!

A few months back I purchased one of these S&W Model 325 Night Guard revolvers chambered in .45ACP. I have no idea why I did it, and I really couldn't afford it, but I've always wanted one. The gun serves no real purpose. It's no easier to conceal than a compact auto, which would hold many more rounds than the 6 rounds this holds. Because it's .45ACP it requires moon clips, which are a pain to deal with at the range. And for the price I could have purchased an HK USP Tactical.

Despite all this, I still love the gun, and think it's one of the coolest guns in my collection. I took it to the range with a couple co-workers, and although none of us are anywhere near being able to call ourselves 'good shots', we were driving tacks out of its 2.75" barrel. Makes absolutely no sense, as we can't do that with the full size autos we were shooting.

For some reason, most likely due to the time when I could only afford to own one or two guns at a time, I like to make sure each gun in my collection 'serves a purpose'. This one doesn't follow that rule. Do any of you own guns that don't serve a purpose but that you love anyhow?

View attachment 40748

Heck No! Making me happy is their primary purpose!;)

I used to think that way and would buy and sell, sell a firearm to fund another and hated down the road getting rid of something.
Any and all firearm serve a purpose.
It's a great investment and something that never loses value or has no value.
Can be used to defend your life/freedom no matter what year or century.
They are great fun to just have around take apart clean.
Fun as heck to just take out and shoot different firearms.

If nothing else knowing the more firearms I have the more it pisses of gun hatin liberal scumbags make me super happy.

Until this year I had purchased all my rifles and pistols in my 20's. I went through a process last year of evaluating what I had, why I had it, and what made sense for me now. I don't hunt anymore, and my focus is more on self defense and target shooting. Because of last year's panics I waited for prices to come down in the AR market before building mine.

Earlier this year I sold my too heavy and bulky Taurus PT-99 and replaced it with an M&P 9, now that I've finally accepted polymer frames. Also went the Detonics Pocket 9 to be traded for an M&P Shield. In a lot of respects the Detonics was the better pistol, but no parts or any way to repair if it failed. My Ruger Redhawk went to help fund my AR's. I regret selling that pistol as it was an excellent field gun.

Now I'm getting ready to sell a few Ruger bolt rifles and deciding if I want to part with my Mini-14's now that I have AR's. One of the Mini's is a class III auto conversion that I should have sold during the last panic and definitely will if there is another. I came to the realization that I'm better defensively by aiming and taking shots rather than burning a mag in a few seconds of poorly directed fire.

Just making a few adjustments to keep me through the next thirty years or so, then I'll ponder it again...

I've got an H&R M-1 Garand in the safe, 1957 vintage I think. I just can't seem to part with that gun. Every time I take to to the range (on Fort Lewis) I get a lot of young soldiers that want to take a look. I always bring extra ammo and let them shoot it. They all want to fire that eighth round to hear the ping. I think that gun will be handed down to my Grandson, unless the State of Washington can make that illegal too.

Funny I was just asking myself this same question last week when I bought my first 1911. Did I need it? Heck no. But did I want it? Heck yes. I thought about all the fun things in my smallish collection and decided there was nothing more i needed gun wise. I had all bases covered for pretty much any situation. But the 1911 style just kept calling me so I answered and got one. Just like I have 4 .22 rifles 2 of them being 10/22 did I really need that S&W 15/22 no not really but its fun to shoot.I wouldnt say im done buying guns for good but for now im satisfied with what I have. Doesnt stop me from looking at all the classified ads cause you just never know what you might need today!

To ansewer your question with a question ( DO BEARS SH!T IN THE WOODS ) Hell yes I have guns with no purpose , and i don't keep track of what I spend on them either

As I age, more of my guns are entering the "unnecessary but I love them anyway" category. Some of these I rationalize because I either use them at the range, or I can use them for home or personal defense. The AR's are in this category. For varmint hunting there are definitely better choices for me. And for personal defense, unless we have a complete meltdown where I can escape with only one gun and lots of ammo, there are also better choices.
.44 Magnum revolvers...When I tramped thru the mountains and woods regularly, I owned such revolvers in every imaginable variation. Now, other than at the range, or as a backup during a relatively short deer season, they seldom leave the house.
My higher end or otherwise beautiful and high quality full size revolvers and semi autos of the past, in the days before CHL in Oregon, were carried on the outside of my clothing, and the nicest handgun I could afford was always part of my woods attire. Now that most of my carry is CHL, there's little reason to carry anything more than a disposable plastic junk handgun. My nice revolvers and pistols see little use other than at the range. But I cannot part with them.

Last Edited:
All my guns have at least one of the following purposes.....
.... make me happy,
.... make bad people sad,
.... look pretty,
.... all of the above.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR