JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have seven black powder revolvers that served a purpose. If I quit smoking (had been smoking for 35 years) 1\2 the money that I saved by not smoking, I could use to buy guns. I am now smoke free for 6 years now. I have spent less than 1\2 but at least it helped me quit.

Do sentimental guns count as not having a purpose if they never get taken to the range? If so then my Korean war era M1 Carbine fits the bill, I have no mags, no ammo, but I did inherit the gun from my dad so I could never sell it.

Yep and I get chewed out for it every time I come home with another one. I've got to the point now I can throw it in the pile with the rest of them and she does'nt notice anymore

You tell her? I work from 4 to midnight so I can go look/buy while she's at work. Then I bring them in when I get home or the next day while she's at work!

I would say arguably none of my 20+ firearms serve a purpose. I dont hunt, I am not a commando. If need be I could protect myself without them. So yeah, They are purely for enjoyment, In my mind no different than owning a classic car or a work of art. Just like a 57' Chevy could be pressed into service as a commuter one of my firearms could be pressed into service for other needs. Still they where bought more or less as toys.

The only guns I own that don't serve a purpose are the ones I don't "love" and I usually sell those or give them away to somebody.

I define "purpose" as a reason to own something.

If I simply get enjoyment out of owning something, even if it has no utilitarian usage, then that is purpose enough for me to own it. The only limiting factor there would be my budget and priorities. I do place a higher priority on firearms that may have some utilitarian usage - hunting, self-defense, etc. - and a gun that can't be shot is of course not very utilitarian, which is why I only have one (an old Stevens that belonged to my grandfather).

But I actually don't shoot very often and while almost all of my firearms are meant to be shot, there are some I have not shot yet, and most I don't shoot but infrequently. I still believe they serve a purpose - if only for me to enjoy.

I don't hunt anymore, I don't compete, I don't shoot very often and I don't carry for self-defense very often either, so most of my guns are not used that often. But I still enjoy them.

A several years ago I made a stark realization.... most of my guns were dumb purchases. I just liked the way they looked, or thought they were something they weren't.

I sold everything I had except my ARs, including ALL my handguns, and bought 9mm Glocks. I've since switched to S&W M&P 9mm for handguns. Only two calibers in my house, 5.56 and 9mm. Well, my kids have .22lrs, but that's a totally different topic.

Anyway... if it's a pistol mag, you know it fits any pistol in my house. If it's a rifle mag, it fits any rifle (carbine) in my house. The kid's 22s are kept in a totally different location, so that's a non-issue.

Simplicity!

A several years ago I made a stark realization.... most of my guns were dumb purchases. I just liked the way they looked, or thought they were something they weren't.

I sold everything I had except my ARs, including ALL my handguns, and bought 9mm Glocks. I've since switched to S&W M&P 9mm for handguns. Only two calibers in my house, 5.56 and 9mm. Well, my kids have .22lrs, but that's a totally different topic.

Anyway... if it's a pistol mag, you know it fits any pistol in my house. If it's a rifle mag, it fits any rifle (carbine) in my house. The kid's 22s are kept in a totally different location, so that's a non-issue.

Simplicity!

I have thought about consolidating calibers, yet I just cannot bring myself to get rid of some of my guns.

When I was in engineering school, I had to part with a wonderful SIG P220 (old model, heel clip mag release) with beautiful Hogue wooden grips on it....I was broke and needed the money. Broke my heart, dumb as it sounds. Swore I'd never sell a firearm again. I buy solid hardware that will last several lifetimes, and keep it. As such, I have several guns that I think are "cool" but don't get shot much. I get them out and fiddle with them now and then, but trust me, they aren't going anywhere....:cool:

My kids and I all have the same personal defense rifle.

My kids both have the same personal defense handgun as each other.

I have a number of handguns, but my PDH is the same caliber as theirs - just a different make and model.

They have a single M6 Scout between them and I have one.

All of the firearms my kids own have been my gift to them. They don't purchase them, so they don't have a lot of firearms.

As for rimfires, we each have a few, but they don't have the same ones I do (except for the M6 Scout).

I have an extra plinker .22, but other then that all of my guns fill a need - some of which is just to have fun.

If I had more disposable cash, I would most likely have a handful of guns that were bought purely for the novelty (ie Desert Eagle, Uzi, something in .50BMG etc).

@Heretic - next time your in the giving guns away mood, keep me in mind;)
EDIT: just saw the post about your kids - I know where your guns are going now lol

I have consolidated calibers, 5.56/7.62 x 51/.9MM/.40/12GA/.22LR

Of course I still have the stragglers in 7.62 x 39 and .270 Win

I think it makes it easier to "stay the course" when thinking about adding firearms to the heard and adhering to only buying new things in cartridges you already own. I tend to try and keep a reasonable amount of ammo for anything I own, The last thing I really want to do is stack hundreds or thousands of some new round so I can fit in a outlier.

I really feel like for what I want to do there is nothing a new round choice would improve.

I have thought long and hard about adding a wildcat round to the AR club. Maybe a 6.8 SPC or 6.5 or even the .25 x 45 sharps. But I probably wont for the reasons stated above. I would be better off to find something I like that chambers .308 or looking at improved 5.56 rounds like the 77gr OTM MK262 rounds

@Heretic - next time your in the giving guns away mood, keep me in mind;)
EDIT: just saw the post about your kids - I know where your guns are going now lol
Mostly I give guns to family members - my kids or one of my brothers.

I did give a gun to a friend - it was a Grendel P10 and I didn't feel right about selling it to anyone. It bruised my hand, the trigger pull was best defined as "gross" and it was unreliable. I told him all of these things.

I think he eventually sold it to a pawn shop.

My opinion of Kel-Tec has always been colored by that gun.

My calibers are all mostly conventional and common:

762x39
762x51
762x63
.50 BMG

.22 rimfire
12 ga
20 ga

9mm
.45 ACP
.44 mag
.357 mag

I did have a .45-70 but I sold it. I may get another.
I also want a .30-30 - my brother has the family .30-30

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top