JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have an old A Richard 12 GA with double hammers and Damascus steel barrels. One of the hammers won't lock back and with those barrels, I'm sure it wouldn't be safe to fire with modern ammo anyhow. I've never even dropped a shell in the chambers. My wife would like to use it as a wallhanger. Maybe after I remove the firing pins? We'll see.

I had a cheap throwaway I tried to blow up, once. Remington 770, in .270 which I made a single round loaded to the brim with pistol powder of some flavor and crunched down a 150 grain bullet. Rigged up a pull cord like a cannon and mounted it to a vice. The rifle held together but the bolt locked up. Ended up cutting the thing apart to examine and the casing was almost entirely intact but welded to the bolt head. It's my little trophy for doing something stupid.

There are two displays in the house- the living room holds the Shiloh (and civil war-issued field artillery saber) in an old/glass display case.
The other is the wall of Winchesters- '73, '92, '94 and '95.
These are all taken out and ran from time to time. While there is artwork in the shack, there is much appreciation from visitors to the rifles- they are fine works of mechanical art created by human hands.

I don't feel it's fair to give my wife one option for my wall hanger. Therefore I am going to give her a choice of me hanging a firearm above the mantel or my Heather Thomas poster collection.

My Dad would have an oft-used expression when asked about such things that to him were a difficult subject:

"We don't talk about that".

However, My Dad did display unsecured guns in his home for his whole life.

and, as @Andy54Hawken, (and as a previous victim of firearm theft), I display them in my home with the full understanding of the risk.

They are a part of me. It pleases me to see them. Just as my books do.

And most are in safes.

I have an old A Richard 12 GA with double hammers and Damascus steel barrels. One of the hammers won't lock back and with those barrels, I'm sure it wouldn't be safe to fire with modern ammo anyhow. I've never even dropped a shell in the chambers. My wife would like to use it as a wallhanger. Maybe after I remove the firing pins? We'll see.
Leave it out for some poor fool to steal... or dump it at a "buy back" for $100 bucks. I got a couple in the "buy back" line-up...
Aside from a mess of knives and swords hanging in the living room, I have one rifle on display.. years and years ago I paid $20 at a K-Mart for a rough Spanish Mauser K98 clone. Shot it a few times, and experimentally reblued it completely in spite of the pitting beneath the wood line (I was 19 at the time).. Anyway somehow Ive dragged it around the country a couple times as I moved around.. Now it hangs above my library door in the hopes that any thieves will grab it and call it good...

Last Edited:
If you display a Wall Hanger firearm in your home, where do you display it. Do you lock it with trigger lock, display case or leave it au natural?

I have empty space that would look better with an AR15 hanging off the mantel. Maybe a rotating selection.

View attachment 1857375

I keep my wall hangers in the room with my safes. I find it to be the most fitting place for them, and there is virtually no chance of someone seeing them when walking around the house. I see displaying them the same way I view gun stickers, they should not be outwardly displayed for everyone to see.

I keep my wall hangers in the room with my safes. I find it to be the most fitting place for them, and there is virtually no chance of someone seeing them when walking around the house. I see displaying them the same way I view gun stickers, they should not be outwardly displayed for everyone to see.
You must live in Portland, generally I concur for city dwellers. All my cases and racks are antique, from another time period. PAX

Last Edited:
The only gun I have on display is my ghost gun;

20240408_131714.jpg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR