JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have two rifles that I rarely shoot. They do not have slings or optics and are not zeroed, so essentially I am just collecting them. I bought them during simpler times $$ and I could not afford to do it now given my other responsibilities. Everything else I have is ready to go at a moment's notice.

I have seen this post a lot and even responded some time long ago... But after thinking quite a bit I decided that none of my guns serve a "real" purpose but all have a place.

What I mean by "real" is I am not engaged in active combat. I am not in law enforcement. I am not a firearms instructor. Really there is nothing that I do on a daily basis that requires a firearm.
I feel my safety is enhanced by having one close by... But if I found myself in a bad spot I would not lay down and curl up thinking "If only I had my gun!" The gun is just another tool. A valuable and useful one... But still just a tool.

I have seen this post a lot and even responded some time long ago... But after thinking quite a bit I decided that none of my guns serve a "real" purpose but all have a place.

What I mean by "real" is I am not engaged in active combat. I am not in law enforcement. I am not a firearms instructor. Really there is nothing that I do on a daily basis that requires a firearm.
I feel my safety is enhanced by having one close by... But if I found myself in a bad spot I would not lay down and curl up thinking "If only I had my gun!" The gun is just another tool. A valuable and useful one... But still just a tool.

Well said!:s0101:

"The gun serves no real purpose." says the OP ( @Joe Link ) apparently drawing a very narrow, (though implied) a rather undefined line of intent. Joe needs to add the words "for me"
Personally, I find "purpose" in even the most lowly item in the armory. Especially when the world is running 180 degrees from my liking, I can retire to my little 11 by 13 foot space I call my den wherein I find solace, pleasure, distraction, excitement stemming from the inheritance, gift, purchase, use, alterations, or connections to others, or events maybe long past, for nearly every item covering the disappearing voids on the walls or even stuffed in boxes to be rediscovered again and again from time to time..
Using this same analogy, A painting has no real purpose yet for many, the right one, creates connections or stirs the heart in ways hard to explain to those not so blessed, every time it is viewed.
For me, life would be mundane, unpleasant even without things some might call purposeless.
A better question might be; "can you have too many purposeful things" ? :)

My Les Baer Premier II with 1.5" guarantee. Absolutely love this gun, my most expensive gun. My best shooting gun...and it's a 1911, love it, but it is not my go to gun for anything other than pure shooting pleasure. Been looking to trade it for a another 1911 (with a rail) but only halfheartedly.

Also have my XDs 3.3 9mm. Former carry gun which has been replaced by my Sig P938 or my Shield 9mm. It's also looking for a new home. I guess this doesn't count as I don't love it, though it is a good gun.

My Benelli Nova Tactical, my 1st shotgun purchase back in the 90s when it 1st came out. I wish my Remington's could take a 3 and 1/2" rounds. Pretty smooth action but it's lack of accessories has me reluctantly looking to place this in a new home as well.

Every gun has a purpose, mostly to shoot targets and be there if I need it.
A few my dad owns are historical pieces, of which the purpose is to shoot and feel the history!

Once I get some pictures, still trying to find time to log everything in photos.
However, I can tell you that his most recent acquisition is a 1903 Hammerless.
I'll post a picture of that on Friday when I see him.

However, I can tell you that his most recent acquisition is a 1903 Hammerless.
I'll post a picture of that on Friday when I see him.

Same here! Although mine is a little worn it is all original and plays well:
IMGP0862.JPG

Uummm. I have a Springfield XDm 5.25" target. Goes through 20 rounds like, well, disappearing chicken wings at a Weight Watcher's convention. It lives in the bottom of my safe.

About my Colt that "went down the road"
Yep and I thank you. ;):)

This is where threads like this merge with the one about "thinning the herd".

Sometimes we decide the "love em" guns turn into the "sell em" guns. Then they can become a new post by a different member about the joys of owning and shooting "X".

Never bought a gun I wasn't "in love" with at the time of purchase. Musta been lust.

Blasphemy. Every gun has a purpose.

I have one mounted to the wall, some holding the safe down and a few others scattered about holding down other important things and/or protecting the wall from scratches.

Get with the program @Joe Link. :D

I had an old Savage before, a long time ago, and it shot great, really accurate. I bought this one as a replacement a few years ago but it sure doesn't shoot like the old one. It will hit the broad side of the proverbial barn but that's about it.

It bugs me to own a gun that inaccurate, but it's still a cool old gun. It has no real purpose as a firearm, more of a collectible paperweight.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top