JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If you display a Wall Hanger firearm in your home, where do you display it. Do you lock it with trigger lock, display case or leave it au natural?

I have empty space that would look better with an AR15 hanging off the mantel. Maybe a rotating selection.

1000002945.jpg

Way back when, I has a Steven's .22 as a wall hanger, in a home office area. Hung au natural. Would never leave anything out as a wall hanger today. Feel there's too much potential liability in our current political/social climate.

Just my nickels worth, thanks to bidenflation….

My dad had a group of older guns displayed in his retail (not a gun shop) store. They were hung on a tall wall, the lowest of which was about 12 feet above the floor. One night a thief pushed in the back door with the bumper of a car, got in and took the three lower tiers of guns. We never found any of them.

This was over 50 years ago.

I will never openly display any gun.

I used to have an old pinfire double barrel on the living room wall above the tv. Had two cousins over, they left while I was in the john, I soon noticed my shotgun missing....

They both swore they didn't steal it, both are now only referred to as "scum bag", too afraid of me to come to any family event.

These days everything except my carry piece is locked in a safe.

Last Edited:
I rotate firearms which are out on display , so to speak .
I keep 'em out for viewing in my library.
No locks or the like...

And yes I understand that this has its risks and perhaps ain't considered safe or inline with so called "safe storage" laws...
However where I live / have lived...it ain't been a problem or caused any either.
If I lived someplace else....I might do something different...If I had lots of visitors / little kids...I might do different....

As for a firearm over the mantle...
If it is a working fireplace....keeping your firearm on display above , while picturesque...
May dry out the stock...gum up / dry out oil ...as well as get the firearm dirty from fireplace debris.
Dust is also bad for firearms.

As a historic note....
Most homes kept a firearm over the door or by the door , rather than the Hollywood image of over the fireplace.
Speaking here of the classic image of a muzzle loader over a fireplace.
Andy

Last Edited:
I rotate firearms which are out on display , so to speak .
I keep 'em out for viewing in my library.
No locks or the like...

And yes I understand that this has its risks and perhaps ain't considered safe or inline with so called "safe storage" laws...
However where I live / have lived...it ain't been a problem or caused any either.
If I lived someplace else....I might do something different...If I had lots of visitors / little kids...I might do different....

As for a firearm over the mantle...
If it is a working fireplace....keeping your firearm on display above , while picturesque...
May dry out the stock...gum up / dry out oil ...as well as get the firearm dirty from fireplace debris.
Dust is also bad for firearms.

As a historic note....
Most homes keep a firearm over the door or by the door , rather than the Hollywood image of over the fireplace.
Speaking here of the classic image of a muzzle loader over a fireplace.
Andy
Glad to hear somebody is still doing it. My wife has our walls filled with "art", knickknacks, etc. I thought it would be fair to have something of my own on the wall. Plus I have this large wood rifle display case I would like to move from the gun room into the house to free up gun room space.

Glad to hear somebody is still doing it. My wife has our walls filled with "art", knickknacks, etc. I thought it would be fair to have something of my own on the wall. Plus I have this large wood rifle display case I would like to move from the gun room into the house to free up gun room space.
I miss the days of seeing the classic glass fronted display cabinets of firearms.
I like firearms...I take pride in owning them ...and see them as working pieces of art.

With all that said....
Nowadays with how firearms / firearm ownership is viewed by many or shown on TV / movies and the like....
As well as things like crime and so called "safe storage " laws....
Keeping a firearm out on display...even if it is a non-working one....may get you into trouble.

Safety needs to be taken into consideration...However...what is safe and workable in one household...
May be different in another household.

I do as I like and what works for me...in my home.
Andy

If I'm going to display firearms (that's a big if), it's going to be firearms that have a special sentimental value to me, regardless of actual value. Hanging a battered old .22 on a wall that I picked up at garage sale for $50 does nothing for me, but hanging a gun I finally acquired after decades of wanting it... That's a different story. If I were to display guns it would be in an area where visitors will not know it exists and someone looking through windows isn't going to be able to see it.

My great grandfather who lived in Los Angeles ( South Central ) had a wall in his house covered with guns, machineguns and switchblades that he had confiscated over the decades in his role as a LA County Sheriffs deputy. When he died his cop buddies came in and cleared the place out. .

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top